In response to CaptFalcon33035
Tell that to me. Tell that to 2Shea and Zero_Tiger. Tell that to the people whos icons were just put on Prince_Of_Persia 's membership account a few days ago for everybody to download. A membership account that is STILL not banned.
In response to Kenjo
I'm not an icon artist but getting graphics from something like BYOND is easy, with or without RSC extractors. The developers are better off working on finishing 4.0 properly than adding in pointless security for images.
In response to Masterdan
Masterdan wrote:
doesnt matter, its too easy right now to rip an ENTIRE games icons and states. NOBODY is concerned about print screen, because its a pain in the ass to do any damage with it.

It's not worthwhile to repeat myself, that it isn't really possible to stop ripping, I'll tell you that.

About Print Screen, I already said that was basic, but its easy enough to rip a whole game's icons with it, the only problems are animations. Turfs can be readily snatched.

look how some Byond-Terrorist just goes ahead and posts a link to every single icon on GOA

Oh my ^_^ Overreacting now, are we? Chill. They're not killing anybody. It's just a hobby.
In response to Masterdan
For the record, that key was handed off to Dark Wizard, and that is indeed a picture of an RSC Extractor that he ported over from C++ to C# a while ago.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken, What is the point of them just ignoring it? If they disregard the post it is because of their own stupidity. Granted it can still be done without a resource extractor but it is A LOT harder without it, If they take that away it will get rid of a lot of the ripping, because the people doing it are lazy.

Why do I have a feeling both you and cap are rippers yourselves? Only fighting our revolt because it is against your best interest? In fact I am willing to bet you want to get your hands on one of these extractors and have a field day don't you?
In response to Smoko
The reason im able to get good talent to work for me, is because i would never say such a goddamn ignorant thing.

Icon makers spend a GREAT deal of time working on icons, they pride themselves in it. The states and the animations etc, if i could i would spend the time to stop all forms of icon stealing, but to ignore a security breach such as simple to use RSC extractors on caches is just the most ignorant statement ever. If the byond admins feel the same way as you then this is a doomed community, because the pixel artists make up a great deal of it, and no game can succeed without their help.
In response to Masterdan
Princeofpersia has no membership account. Anyway, I never said that they wouldn't give it away. If you ask me, though, it sounds like these icons were simply leaked from one of the artists.
In response to Lifehunter
Increasing security on the RSCs won't do much. It'd only be a matter of time before someone cracks the new security, and the efforts that the staff would have made would be a waste.
In response to Kaioken
Ahem, some people have no respect for peoples intellectual property. You are one of the people that has given byond a bad attitude and is responsible for the shape its in right now.
Respect Icon makers or youll end up with an entire community of ripped GBA sprites and GARBAGE. Print screen as we have already said is a very difficult thing to do, to rip even one icon let alone a game that has hundreds. Dont be so freaking ignorant.
In response to Masterdan
Masterdan wrote:
Tell that to me. Tell that to 2Shea and Zero_Tiger. Tell that to the people whos icons were just put on Prince_Of_Persia 's membership account a few days ago for everybody to download. A membership account that is STILL not banned.

Hint Hint - Membership account.
Lifehunter wrote:
Kaioken, What is the point of them just ignoring it?

Like I said... because it's pointless to try and stop it, not for long anyway. A waste of time.

Why do I have a feeling both you and cap are rippers yourselves?

Oh sh*t! Crap, caught me!
How'd those guys releasing icons were my alts.. oh, they want me banned now, better get outta here.

In fact I am willing to bet you want to get your hands on one of these extractors and have a field day don't you?

I think we made it clear we don't need to *cough* after all I've already ripped and rereleased resources.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Nobody has GOA's source code except me. Not a single person has more than the icons they contributed, this file in circulation has every single icon even the ones with my name in the filename. Theres no way in hell that it was an inside job, its OBVIOUSLY an rsc extraction.
In response to Masterdan
Doom is right, This will lead to the BYONDoclyps. I mean it.
In response to Bustercannon
Bustercannon wrote:
Hint Hint - Membership account.

-_-
Hint hint - they've never banned people for any kind of ripping, including whole sources. Anyone. And also made it clear why in ancienter topics already as well.
In response to Masterdan
It's not ignorant, it's true. Resources are extracted from every big name game, but they have various forms of security on the files.

If someone wants to steal graphics, they'll find ways. Why bother wasting time trying to stop it?
It won't do any good--the RSC will be cracked and it will be just as easy to get the RSC again. The guys who make these utilities, they do it for the experience or to recover lost resources with ease. Coding is a lot more recoverable than icons on BYOND. What if a person lost the entire source? He'd use the RSC extractor on his game to get his icons back.

Aside from that, it's just as easy to extract resources for a RSC with BYOND. Heck, it won't even require that we crack the new security to use it. So, why do we use RSC extractors? It's simple, really. What is somewhat tedious to do in BYOND is as easy as a click on a RSC extractor.
After being ripped on numerous occasions, big and small, I'd have to say this, If you made the best painting in the world and you give it to a 'collector' to preview to the world, then you see his face on next weeks newspaper, Wouldn't you try to get your credit? I have this Goditz guy saying Way of the shinobi is the rip and his game is original, Why? I believe he got pissed off at the original. Point is, police catch people who steal wallets, can't we have some protection?
In response to Masterdan
In one of the Earlier posts somebody mentioned that changing the security on the resources would be useless because people would just crack it again, I'm not sure if this would even be a possibility (and nobody but BYOND staff try to correct me, because you DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW.) but maybe we should be able to encrypt it ourselves, so that BYOND doesn't have to. Making every game different and allowing for supreme safety of the resources.
In response to Smoko
Exactly! Even commercial games that have their resources files encrypted/in an unknown format or otherwise protected end up having them extracted and often floating about...

Only of course they have an easier time since their work is copyrighted - people can't go and release their own game with those stolen resources. Why don't you guys copyright your dear icons?
See this is something that should be done. Alow our own encryptions, or even some sort of password system on the RSCs, so the owner can access it, and the game itself can access it when need be. Don't know if it's possible at all, but it's just an idea.
Page: 1 2 3