ID:274921

I'm discontinuing support for my current 30 or so games and not making any more.

Reason:

There's no point me doing it. The more original and varied my games get, the less people play them. There are so many people playing DBZ games, building/chat rooms, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, etc.

I can't be bothered to host a single one of my games anymore, since nobody ever plays them and I waste the whole night sitting and waiting for more than two players with Majin or Goku at the start of their names.

No matter how much work I put into my games, I seem to get no response whatsoever and I've realised that there just isn't any point.

The average IQ requirement for a BYOND game seems to have reduced dramatically, as my most complicated games have just died completelty and utterly.

As for the Coldorran War series, it ain't gonna get finished. Not that anyone will notice (I've never seen anybody ever host Battle for Grunge River before and I've spent the last month or 2 working on it!)

Put simply:

BYOND is going downhill.

I hope that the BYOND guru's start to end this trend and bring BYOND back to it's former glory.

You've got your last 3 hours of work a day from me, I'm going to revise instead (yes, that's how much priority I give BYOND, each year I've spent more time doing BYOND than revising for my yearly exams).

Da_Rushyo
well i cant claim to know you personally but i have played a few of your games and im sure saddened to see you go.
Maz
Two things come to mind.

First of all, I only know of 3 or so games that you've made. 30 is quite a few, and if I've never heard of the rest of them, then you know something is wrong. But do you know how major companies make sure that people know about their games? They advertise! I've almost never seen you advertise anything, at least, not anywhere where anyone would care. There is no way for me at least to get any information about your games, reasons why I'd want to play them, or anything of the like. In other words, I know nothing about them, and can't find any reason why I should.

If you want people to play your games, you might try announcing their existence. Discuss them on the forums, advertise them on the forums, put together information sites for them, etc... Once BYOND gets to the point where it supports games that do not require DreamSeeker, you'll even be able to advertise outside the community.

BYOND is going uphill, it's just taking a little while. Be patient, and it'll get to where it's going. That doesn't mean that you need to be wasting your time beforehand, though. Maybe you should try taking a few months off until things improve.

Second of all, BYOND is slowly climbing to the point where it will be ready to advertise. As you may have heard already, BYOND is virtually unadvertised anywhere other than the DBZ community, which is why DBZers keep flooding in. Well, if people started building hundreds of board games and everyone was telling their board game loving friends to come play board games with them on BYOND, I'm sure BYOND would have plenty of board game players instead of DBZers. Advertising will solve most of the problems we have right now, hopefully. But as I said, BYOND isn't going to be advertised until the software is ready for the public.
I concour to many superdy duperdy majin ssj19124325 Goku Gohan Shoobody Gokan 5123431's its spoiling Byond! i liked the games where you need an IQ of over 12 to play....not these games where you bang yer macro keys for 30 mins and go Super saiyan 210 (in fact DBZ sucks...period)

I know how you feel.... so just kick those Majin superdy......'s ass off byond!
Da_Rushyo wrote:
I hope that the BYOND guru's start to end this trend and
bring BYOND back to it's former glory.

Not if gurus like yourself give up on BYOND. Why not just take a break, then come back later and focus on one good project?
In response to Deathlord2
Deathlord2 wrote:
I concour to many superdy duperdy majin ssj19124325 Goku Gohan Shoobody Gokan 5123431's its spoiling Byond! i liked the games where you need an IQ of over 12 to play....not these games where you bang yer macro keys for 30 mins and go Super saiyan 210 (in fact DBZ sucks...period)

You're not required to play DBZ games. In fact, aside from hogging up the hub, they're quite useful. They function as a spunge to absorb all the DBZ people and keep them out of other people's games.

Actually though, I find names like Deathlord2 to be almost as annoying as Super_Vegeta22. As long as either keys log in with proper names, I don't care, though.

Deathlord2 = Krys
Super_Vegeta22 = Rayun
Foomer = Fine with that.
In response to Foomer
Foomer: You're not required to play DBZ games. In fact, aside from hogging up the hub, they're quite useful. They function as a spunge to absorb all the DBZ people and keep them out of other people's games

I do agree with Foomer. Theres alot of games that have dbz players go in and spam it and distract every one to get pissed at them. When i first got it to byond, i was complaining about all the DBZ games on there, and now thats good, not so many dbz players in all the other games. Why do you thing alot of games have spam protecters now.

Dragoon
Your leaving way to easy. And also a dumb reason why your leaving. I would only leave it every one else leaves but that not going to happen. Advirtise it, then it would get popular. I've seen ppl go in to games and say some thing like, Join Dragon Warrior online, or some thing. But your leaving over a dumb reason and no, BYOND is getting popular but vary slowly, it will get there. I have trust in Byond. Ever Quest got popular by starting in a city, advirtising it, and half of the city got bigger. And now look, half of the world plays EQ. I do, i think its fun but i still play byond. Any ways, your leaving for a dumb reason i think

Dragoon
Da_Rushyo wrote:
I'm discontinuing support for my current 30 or so games and not making any more.

Reason:

There's no point me doing it. The more original and varied my games get, the less people play them. There are so many people playing DBZ games, building/chat rooms, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, etc.

That's certainly an easy, comforting excuse. There are plenty of original games out there that people play. There are tons of people who wait for nights when MLAAS is hosted. I see Proelium up now almost as often as I see DWO or any DBZ games. Hedgerow Hall is another popular original game...not to mention Leftley's games which I see up every day. I'm sure that when SpaceTug 2 or whatever it is that Gughunter is working on is released (I've seen him talking about something...), it will be up 24/7 (and I'll be sitting there with a pot of coffee beside me playing it as long as I can stay awake)

The fact is that it IS possible to make an original game that people play...it just takes motivation. If you've started 30 games, it seems to me that you lack the motivation to get them to any state of completion or playability. If you had focused all of your effort on 1 or 2 games, then your efforts may have been met with greater success.

I can't stand it when people make these posts that are made to be some sort of insightful prophecy about BYOND's impending doom. The fact is that BYOND is 100 times better now than it was when I first came here over a year ago, and it continues to get better each and every day.