ID:27563

Keywords: gamedesign, mud
I'm in a serious crisis right now, as to whether to just dump DS support entirely or not.

BMUD looks great in telnet - The map display is fitting, the descriptive area is roughly right, and theres room to display nearby objects and mobiles just fine.

BMUD looks *horrible* in DS - The map display font is annoyingly bad (as it always has been) and the text area scrolls horrifyingly slowly.

If I dump DS support entirely, the game itself will *look* better in telnet and I can avoid constantly having to factor in making something look at least decent in DS - However, in doing so I also alienate a large amount of people from even wanting to try the game.

If anyone has experience setting up nicely looking text-mode games with BYOND, I'd love to hear some tips and tricks to make things look okay. As is, I'm finding the limited character set, slow scrolling text and horrible monospace font to be a large detracting factor in things.
What are you programming the game in, anyways?
C++ or DM?
How 'bout DD?
Jermman wrote:
What are you programming the game in, anyways?
C++ or DM?

DM.

The whole "DS" thing threw me off until towards the end of your post (though in retrospect, I'm not sure why... I've referred to Dream Seeker as "DS" myself) I kept thinking "Nintendo DS"...

That might be Jermman's confusion as well...
Don't worry about Seeker too much, just let people know if they login using it that the game looks better in a telnet client and that you don't really intend it to look decent in DS. If someone wants to play it in DS let them -- not your problem.
i'm going with Nadrew on this one. *real* mudders will use telnet or their favorite MUD client anyway.
Uh no, I knew he was talking about dreamseeker.

You can however program a mud in c++, so I was wondering.
Well, you can also recommend a font (since DS lets you select that) to help DS users out. You can even make the TTF a part of the rsc I believe.