In response to Dession
Dession wrote:
You asked for opinions, if you don't like bad ones then why ask? And yes, it is horrible.

Maybe so, but i'd like to know WHY it was horrible and to know how i could improve, just saying "IT SUCKS" or "HORRIBLE" isnt helping at all and it is pointless to even say it.
In response to Game sabre
Game sabre wrote:
Dession wrote:
You asked for opinions, if you don't like bad ones then why ask? And yes, it is horrible.

Maybe so, but i'd like to know WHY it was horrible and to know how i could improve, just saying "IT SUCKS" or "HORRIBLE" isnt helping at all and it is pointless to even say it.

You asked for his opinion, not ways to improve.

You shouldn't have gone so psycho on him, telling him to "Go Die".

Doesn't it remind you of a certain forum-banned individual?

Your banner is nice. It's shiny, yes.
It's also pretty good for a first bit of work.

It's not perfect though.
Kholintian Destroying Army wrote:
Game sabre wrote:
Dession wrote:

You asked for his opinion, not ways to improve.

You shouldn't have gone so psycho on him, telling him to "Go Die".

Doesn't it remind you of a certain forum-banned individual?

Your banner is nice. It's shiny, yes.
It's also pretty good for a first bit of work.

It's not perfect though.

I know its not perfect.
And one word posts are usually just a waste of forum space, dont like the forums being clogged up by pointless posts.
Seems OK to me; not great, but not horrible. Mostly it's just pretty plain.

But then I'm probably not a very good judge, as I never really figured out what the point of banners was (other than wasting space and bandwidth).
Game sabre wrote:
I know its not perfect.
And one word posts are usually just a waste of forum space, dont like the forums being clogged up by pointless posts.

Game sabre wrote:
Covering Fire wrote:
Heh, your psycho! lol jk
Thats what my mom said, now shes gone. :)

Game sabre wrote:
Texter wrote:
Game sabre wrote:
Hey, im a newbie to banner making, can i get someones opinion on this banner.

http://www.picsplace.to/044722/BYOND.png

Horrible.

~Text

Screw you, go die.

Real un-waste, eh?
In response to Leftley
Not to go too far off topic, but I agree. Its not exactly hard to get remote image hosting.
Game sabre wrote:
I know its not perfect.

Game sabre wrote:
Covering Fire wrote:
Heh, your psycho! lol jk
Thats what my mom said, now shes gone. :)

Game sabre wrote:
Texter wrote:
Game sabre wrote:
Hey, im a newbie to banner making, can i get someones opinion on this banner.

http://www.picsplace.to/044722/BYOND.png

Horrible.

~Text

Screw you, go die.

Real un-waste, eh?

I really dont care about what you have to say anymore, if you cant say anything helpful then please, dont post on this thread.
Come on, Gamesabre.

"Take a chill pill", as such.

You've been very, well, aggressive on the forums as of late.
In response to Kaga-Kami
Sounds like somebody hasn't given PSP a chance. PhotoShop is popular because anyone can pick it up and say "Hey look at this masterpeice I made in 30 seconds using this ONE filter." PSP, on the otherhand, is focused tword people who want to learn how to use a program, and create something that is truely theirs, not some filter.

Don't get me wrong, photoshop is a fine peice of software, but to claim it is better than PSP in general is saying that Red Apple are better than Green Apples because red apples are red.
I am sorry, but I give it a two out of ten. One out of those two points where given for being new to making banners. Try taking away the green, green is not your friend and is not a good color on a computer(most of the time). Now, take away the spotlight/flair/whatever tool, that makes it look cheap. Add in a nice light texture. Use an adam for the O because it looks good. Something about that border bugs me, so junk it. Ok, so I just basicly said get rid of the whole thing, mostly because that is what you need to do.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
I am sorry, but I give it a two out of ten. One out of those two points where given for being new to making banners. Try taking away the green, green is not your friend and is not a good color on a computer(most of the time). Now, take away the spotlight/flair/whatever tool, that makes it look cheap. Add in a nice light texture. Use an adam for the O because it looks good. Something about that border bugs me, so junk it. Ok, so I just basicly said get rid of the whole thing, mostly because that is what you need to do.

What's so bad about green?
Come on, Gamesabre.

"Take a chill pill", as such.

You've been very, well, aggressive on the forums as of late.

I know ive been aggressive on the forums and i have my reasons, i wont say them because people will start flaming me.
It's a standard newbish attempt. If you ever want to create respectable banners, never use the light flare filter. Ever. Every newbie that makes a banner uses it, and most professionals avoid it like the plague. It is one of those glitzy things that should only be used sparingly, or not at all. The abuse it has gotten over the years has soured many people to it, and most people who see it will associate the banner with a load of feces, even if the rest of the banner is a masterpiece.

Ok, if we remove the flare, we're left with the word BY ND in black over a desaturated green (probably even grey) background and brown border. There really isn't anything to critique there. The font isn't special or memorable in any way, there is no texture or interest to capture the eye in either the background or the lettering, and the border is really not much different than a border you might see around an HTML table.

There's nothing artistic here. The composition is bland, you should never center things perfectly like this. It's boring. The colors are hum-drum, boring. There is nothing that says you've even grasped what a banner is for.

I'd say come up with a gimick, theme or basic design and work from there. Choose colors that will compliment the theme, while making the text readable on many screens, color settings and resolutions. Choose a font that fits the theme, is readable and don't obscure letters or words. People won't want to take that extra 3 seconds to decipher the words.

Don't use filters or gradient shading if you can help it. They simply scream AMATURE! and will only bring your work down. Try playing with textures, but don't go all hog wild. A simple texture tastefully and conservitively applied here or there can do alot for a piece.

Lasty, drop the attitude. You're lucky I'm even respoding after the way you ripped into the other people who've responded. Not everyone is going to give you an in-depth critique, most won't even say what they like about it. Telling someone who just posted "It's horrible" to "Go die" isn't going to improve your work, or get others to want to respond. Just ignore negative posts like that and focus on the ones who are actually trying to be helpful, even if it seems like they're all being mean.

~X
In response to Scoobert
I've used PSP, i think it's horrible.

[EDIT]

And what are you talking about, everyone knows blue is the best.
In response to Kaga-Kami
Kaga-Kami wrote:
I've used PSP, i think it's horrible.

And I've used Photoshop, I think its interface is horrible.

There, now we're even. =P
The lens flare burns my retina.
In response to Scoobert
An adam? What he's gonna draw a person with a fig leave coveing his... Oh... you mean an atom. Please note that the BYOND atom has a tiny globe at the centre. Personally, I think someone should make a EuroBYOND banner, with Europe shown instead of America.

But that's just me. Maybe an animation where the little globe spins?
In response to Hazman
I knew that didn't sound right, but spellchecker is too stupid to get it, so I just left it.
In response to Crispy
It's interface is horrible.
You can also give up everything else. Critism is only to learn from. Obiously if they say it sucks, that means everything is wrong with it. Plus, you said "Go Die" meaning if you don't like it, die, when you want thier opinion. And third, I don't know what to say about it because AOL blocks out all Image hosts but themselves.
Page: 1 2 3