ID:277070

Okay, I think this is total BS. I got a DS for Christmas, and my parents got the extended three year warrenty on it. The other day, my DS was in my pocket, and I walked outside and got tackled by my freinds. I was not expecting this, otherwise I would have left my DS inside. Later, I felt like playing my DS, so I took it out, and the WHOLE TOP LCD IS BUSTED AND CRACKED. I just went to take it back yesterday, but BestBuy says the warrenty is only good if the said item had a manufacturer problem with it, not if it got broken. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD I WAIT THREE YEARS IF THERE WAS A MANUFACTURER PROBLEM WITH IT? Arr, I am so mad right now...
Make your friends pay for it. =)
In response to Crispy
I would, but they are broke, and have no job. It'll take them years to save up that much money...
You could try buying a replacement lcd from ebay or something like that and replacing it yourself
Why should a warranty cover damage that you might have done yourself?

That's not the purpose of a warranty... They are not policies to let people get their money back, or a free replacement, if they do something stupid (even if it wasn't your fault, they don't know that... you could have been hitting the thing with a hammer or something...lol)

They exist to cover you in case there was a defect in the product when you bought it (which can only have happened from the manufacturer, or in shipping)

Why do they sell 3 year warranties? Well, some issues might not come up right away... Bad pixels in the screen, faulty wiring, corroding batteries, bad solder joints on one of the circuit boards, etc... All of these kinds of things might take months or years to show themselves...
In response to Critical
I was thinking about that. But I just realized that their warrenty said they'd fix any manufacturer problem, and there is one with my DS. When you turn it on, there is always one tiny blue pixel, even when playing games, on the bottom screen. Im gonna go in there and complain about a single pixel. >=) If that doesn't work, I'll try to install a new LCD. Any idea how hard it is?
In response to Dead_Demon
Won't work with all of that other damage...

Heck, sure they might repair the manufacturer's defect of that bad pixel in the bottom screen, but they could just leave the top one busted...lol They're not going to just give you a replacement for the whole thing, when the majority of the damage is your fault (to them it is, anyways)
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
I think it's rediculous that you have to pay any money for a mistake the company made. I understand warrenty limits, but the company should be held responsible for any defects in their product. I mean, it just doesn't make sense. "In case we screw up, we need your money!"

I think paying for a "warrenty" should cover things like accidents.
In response to Kunark
Most companies that sell LCD monitors have a clause on their warranty saying how many pixels need to be dead before they replace it.
Well, you are right and Best Buy is right.

First off, let me start out by saying I work for Best Buy. I sell PSPs (Performance service plans) on laptops and desktops.

Now, on the Media side of thing, like the PRP you bought on your DS...

First of all, it doesn't cover accidental damage or abuse. So, technically they don't have to honor it if they found out you broke it yourself. Unless you can convince them that happened without your intervention I don't foresee you getting a replacement or repair.

Second of all, they are wrong: a PRP doesn't ONLY cover manufacturer issues. It should cover it if it were to stop working internally for something not your fault. My friend got a new DS Lite when he discovered his had a couple dead pixels.

It really depends on the store. Try several different Best Buys if possible.

Some are real turd-muffins, while on the other hand some Best Buys will bend backwards for customers.

Although with your problem, I don't know your chances are of them replacing that since that is considered accidental damage or abuse which are not covered under the PRP.

~Kujila
In response to Soccerking
Exactly, and it's usually some ridiculous amount. Like I said in a previous post, it depends on the Best Buy you are visiting. I have been to Best Buys I wanted to burn down from rage, and some I want to hug the manager.

There's usually two extremes to Best Buy stores; the awesome ones and the satanic ones.

~Kujila
In response to Kunark
Well, I think this depends on the product.

For example, it's been recently discovered that DS Lites have weak hinges. Nintendo, my favorite company, has declared that DS Lite owners can "...contact our Customer Service Department if they are not happy with the functionality of their systems." implying either a repair or replacement, or at least a refund.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/ nintendo-capitulates-offers-free-repairs-for-cracked-ds-lite s-188778.php

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
There's usually two extremes to Best Buy stores; the awesome ones and the satanic ones.

~Kujila

Arr, the two bestbuys where I live are the Satanic ones. My parents bought this expensive computer(it was like 5k), and when it crashed, we found out that best buy did not give us any of the recovery discs >_> When we finially do get the recovery discs, 2 are missing and 4 don't work, so we have to buy another set. The only thing I hate right now more than best buy is my Pre Calc homework. Anyone wanna help me factor some polynomials? :)
Put it back in it's box and say your returning it to get a DS lite.
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
Why do they sell 3 year warranties?

They make loads of cash doing so. ;)
In response to Nesso
You can only return within 30 days of purchase - maybe 14 on a console, not sure.

~Kujila
I don't think that is right. 1 dead pixel is too many. When I buy a product, I expect it to work, 100%, nomatter what. LCDs aren't cheap, so why would I want to pay $200+ on a faulty product? I really think someone should step in and tell the LCD companies that it is not right to sell a product that might be defective, then not replace it if it is. My LCD didn't have any dead pixels, my DS didn't have any dead pixels, but at work 3 out of the 20 someodd LCDs we ordered had 1 dead pixel. This is just not acceptable to me.
In response to Nesso
Generally, returned items get checked by the technicians for missing parts or damage. Now you know why customer service and computer repair are so close together!
Yeah I know and that is very very stupid. I have had many LCD based things and most of them never ever have a pixel burn out or get stuck.

I had a total of 1 burnt pixel on my nintendo ds and I brought it back to the store and they replaced it.

I'll be damned if I pay $150 for something and have a bad screen.

You should have seen some of the Sony PSP units, where they had a dozen or more bad pixels. And I guess for awhile Sony was NOT taking them in for replacement. Which is utter BS.

Anyways I don't blame them for not taking your DS, I wouldn't either. Next time don't carry a $150 pice of electronics in yoru pocket, or put it in a hard case first.
In response to Koshigia
Exactly, haha.

~Kujila
Page: 1 2 3