ID:2925714

Resolved
Images in a browser with query strings, such as those using the new icon extraction format, caused those query strings to generate a Topic() call. This was incorrect behavior for non-blank URIs.
BYOND Version:515
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 124.0.0.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Sending an HTML file that contains a large number of resource requests will cause the client's connection to die.

Test case sent in private.
It appears this was not a bug. A large number of these requests were mangled.
Update: It appears what I thought were mangled requests were actually valid. I worked around the bug, but I'm considering this a bug.

It is likely resolved in 516 though.
If there's still a case with non-mangled refs I'd like to take a look. This is something you can confirm though by overriding client/Topic() and spitting that out into a log. If you see some requests that should never have been treated as byond:// URLs, then that's the telltale.

For reference, what I discovered with the original test case was browser images attempting to load as ref?state=... with the new format supplied in 515, but without the leading ref. This was causing them to be interpreted as Topic() calls, and the server interpreted this as command spam. The WebView2 code in 516 doesn't resolve leading ? URLs in the browser as byond:// calls—which was a hacky workaround I put in years ago, because embedded IE doesn't really do that either—and therefore it doesn't call Topic().

I suspect however I'm going to have to find a way to re-enable the workaround for older games.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Images in a browser with query strings, such as those using the new icon extraction format, caused those query strings to generate a Topic() call. This was incorrect behavior for non-blank URIs.