ID:35915

Okay, I just found out that a lot of the people who think they can type 150 WPM don't actually know what they are talking about and were using bogus sources to test themselves. I had been hearing this all the time and figured I was just a fairly slow typist (even when I started touch typing). Is there anybody here who actually types that fast? And what is all your speeds?

My speeds are about 55 when going very slow, 65 average, and 80 max. I hover around 98% accuracy at all speeds.

Also, are there any good programs out there to teach you techniques to give you an edge or is it just lots of practice?
I don't know exactly how fast I type, but I can definately type faster when I'm typing original stuff than when I'm copying something out.
I used to have touch typing lessons about 6 years ago. It involved a kind of Mario game where you had to type in a word or phrase to jump on a bad guys head or climb up a plant or whatever.
Indeed, I find that my maximum speed with 100% accuracy has never been any greater than 100 WPM. I however, know that even most computer savvy folk can only type at 50 or less WPM, so even with my typing skills being considered by my employers as being "slightly above par", compared to my coworkers, I'm massively above the curve.
I actually worked with a guy who typed around 140 WPM, he was a network administrator and web designer for this new company down in Sebastian Florida...

It was crazy watching him type sometimes, when he was really into it he would actually freeze up the computer momentarily so that it could catch up with him. I thought that was hilarious, especially since he was using a brand new Dell at the time (this was only a year ago).

The test I took at this administrative Temp Agency down in Florida said I typed at around 65 WPM with a really good accuracy, and they said I was nicely above average.
I am pretty sure I can type around that speed. There was a program in my school that was very good and extremely accurate. We had to use it in 6th grade and I was over 115 WPM. The thing was, though, is that you had to type whatever came up and it was sort of hard to memorize all of the words so it couldn't possibly tell how fast you really were. I tend to type faster when I know what I want to say rather than having to see what words I have to type.
I can type at 130 WPM on sentences and 120 WPM paragraphs when they're on the screen. When I'm looking away from the screen and copying another source, it drops to about 100 WPM.
Original stuff hasn't been measured, but I type a great bit faster. So far I've used Mavis Beacon and MicroType Multimedia for typing, as it was required by my highschool curriculum this year. =/

The Naked Ninja wrote:
It was crazy watching him type sometimes, when he was really into it he would actually freeze up the computer momentarily so that it could catch up with him.

I get that sometimes too. It's only happened a few times on my new PC, but my old one froze constantly, and even crashed once because I didn't want to stop and wait on the damn thing to catch up.
We get tested every year you take a tech class of any sorts, I hit 130 max this year, 95% accuracy. But oh well, I look cool doing it :P
I type at okay speeds most of the time. I can keyboard, though not as fast, and I can type without looking at the keyboard with horrible form. That's what I'm doing now because it is so much faster. I find it to be less of an inconvenience.
according to this online test i type about 60 words per minute with 100% accuracy. i made a lot of mistakes, but it allowed me to backspace and correct them without penalizing my accuracy.

on my second try i started the clock, viewed the page's source, found the blurb that i need to type, copied & pasted it into the text area and it reported that i type at 556 words per minute (with 100% accuracy).

don't type fast, type smart! =)
I broke 100wpm on that the first time I tried it, and I fixed probably half of my mistakes (for mistakes I made). Cow is awesome~

Then I did it again and tried to do abbreviations and kill my capitalization and punctuation and I got like 69wpm.

Why again do people do that? All of that thinking really slows you down o_O I ran out of ideas for abbreviating the last half of it or I'd have hit 50wmp. Even though I was typing less "words" it was probably slower typing it all wrong

Hey look I logged in the wrong key :O
According to the thing OneFishDown posted I got 70 words per minute with two errors.
Back in 8th grade (2 years ago) I took a typing class and got 100 words per minute with 98-100% accuracy numerous times when I was really trying to do good. Otherwise, I'd get 60-80 WPM.
Yeah, tests with lots of names and abbreviations trip me up and knock me down to about 60.
OneFishDown wrote:
according to this online test i type about 60 words per minute with 100% accuracy. i made a lot of mistakes, but it allowed me to backspace and correct them without penalizing my accuracy.

on my second try i started the clock, viewed the page's source, found the blurb that i need to type, copied & pasted it into the text area and it reported that i type at 556 words per minute (with 100% accuracy).

don't type fast, type smart! =)

You can get over 1000 if you type it out and copy it to your clipboard before you start the clock, then paste it afterwards. Or, you can just get the source beforehand in place of typing it.
I got 9,500 WPM from copying and pasting. =/
"Your speed was: 114wpm.

You made 5 mistakes, your mistakes are shown in bold text:

the boys, as they talked to the girls from marcia blaine school, stood on the far side of their bicycles holding the handlebars, which established a protective fence of bicycle between the sexes and the impression that ay any moment the boys were likely to be away. the girls could not take off their panama hats because this was not far from the school gates"

That's from the site OFD linked, and I'm a little surprised. I thought I typed slower, but I was able to type at 114 WPM while fixing a few grammar mistakes in the beginning, not looking at the keyboard (looking at the text the whole time), and having to move the mouse to start and stop the timer. This reminds me of a program I made in Python a while ago called Finger Frenzy, where you'd have to type the alphabet as fast as possible - Unknown Person killed it at 1.3 seconds or something rediculous like that. I'm gonna keep trying that site until I hit 150 WPM or greater :)
Cavern wrote:
I got 9,500 WPM from copying and pasting. =/

it places commas between words in the display so that you get a lot of mistakes if you copy and paste. if you copy and paste from the page's source you still finish faster than most people would and with 100% accuracy =)

i find copying text to be a largely useless skill. unless that is specifically what your job is, its rather useless. most of the things i type come from my thoughts. typing 200 words per minute doesn't do any good if you can't think of what to say next.