ID:39227

Keywords: naruto, review
Naruto GOA Review
Make your own grand online adventure!

Naruto GOA by Masterdan is everything you'd expect from a Naruto fangame, however it is plagued by constant server problems.

Learning Curve
Players who first join the game enter a classroom-type setting different from most naruto games, due to the fact that you can pass the genin exam without ever watching the show. However, after you leave, the game isn't too clear as to what your next goal is.

Balance
The game itself is rather balanced in the sense that no clan really dominates the other one. However, most characters are built with one skill in mind, allowing them to 1-hit KO almost anyone when they get around level 50.

Combat
PvP combat is the heart of this game, wars are randomly started and villagers fight to the death, raids are also common when it comes to village interaction.

The Good

The game features many PvP based activities, it can be wildly competitive at times and is a great break from hitting a bag to be the best. The game balances the clans, as well as keeps each clan with it's specific village. (i.e. Uchiha's can't be in mist without first being in leaf) It also features tons of missions, while repetitive at times, keep you on your toes. One of the most unique features is that all of the save files aren't kept on a specific server, preventing tampering and allowing universal characters to be made. And finally, the interactive map is a nice change of pace, it marks your location as well as your targets location.

The Bad

The game lacks administration so the players run around freely, meaningless mutes tend to occasionally(but not often) happen. I wouldn't recommend this for someone who isn't too familiar with the F word. On top of all this the game tends to lag a lot, chuunin exams almost always crash. Sometimes however, when you happen to find yourself in an epic battle, you will be surprised at how quickly you die when fighting someone using higher stat-based moves like Raikiri. Lower levels have absolutely no chance when fighting someone with a much higher intelligence level. The map seems unecessarily large at times, with repetitive scenery.

My Rating:
Gameplay: 9.0 - PvP is great, Different tactics work better in different environments, and you can use many different combinations.
Administration: ??? - Not sure what to give this rating. This all comes down to your own opinions on limited democracy.
Graphics: 7.5 - Just about all of these were custom made with the Naruto anime series in mind, It's rare for someone to be able to say the graphics in the game are theirs.
Overall: 7.2
1 Issue,
"
Balance
The game itself is rather balanced in the sense that no clan really dominates the other one. However, most characters are built with one skill in mind, allowing them to 1-hit KO almost anyone when they get around level 50."

Balance is actually one of GOAs biggest priorities, and actually you get 6 points per level and at most 3 in one attribute (there are 4 in total) so you cant focus only on one, and i wouldnt recommend it and people dont in practice.
Yeah, but most of them focus them into 2 stats, which is what I meant. I actually played it for quite a while to get all the facts straight, stopped at level 20.
Well I'd have to see this is a pretty fair review, most of what you said is true. You forgot to mention that Nagashi is the weakest move in the game and actually posted a screen of it, though. Very misleading.
The games a 9 IMO, the missing 1 due to the server problems you pointed it but at the same time that's not all Dans fault.
IcewarriorX wrote:
Yeah, but most of them focus them into 2 stats, which is what I meant. I actually played it for quite a while to get all the facts straight, stopped at level 20.

Believe it or not all 4 stats are super important now, Con and Str got huge revisions and are relevant now. Also youll notice if you make an akimichi youll focus on Str/Con most likely, Haku will focus on Rfx/Con usually, etc etc. There are actually lots of different stratagies.
Someone forgot to close the bold tags, it seems.
I actually just needed a decent screenshot so I used chidori nagashi, haha. I do like the way it amplifies when you're surrounded by water though.

*edit* crap I did forget to close the tags..
Yeah. The server is probably the main flaw of the game. But its not really the games fault.

The training curve was made a bit harder. You get 5 exp if you train inside a dojo, and 10+ if you fight with someone outside of the dojo. In lag, these are 2 hard tasks to accomplish. Same could go for missions/chuunin. The lag kills it :<

Oh and. I cant wait to see how aburame will work once they are added. And of course those 2 other villages I saw faded out on the character creation screen.

Any idea when that stat reset thing is? Its sort of like a pwipe, but it isnt. :P

Anyways good review. I'd give it about an 8.8 overall. The graphics are pretty good in comparison to the other games you see. And the new icons that were originally sprites from other games were done very nicely.
Speaking of graphics, that wood floor that is used in the academy and dojo are from RPG Maker :P
Someone please close the final bold tag in this review.
Quaddw wrote:
Speaking of graphics, that wood floor that is used in the academy and dojo are from RPG Maker :P

I actually noticed that, there are 2 small graphical things that I noticed have been used elsewhere, but it's mostly original when you look at it as a whole.

*The most noticeable being the cloud-style hair and that floor*
Quaddw wrote:

Theres not one person I know that doesn't have an icon from an RPG maker, and by game I mean fan game :)
To be honest the wood floor and cloud hair are the only 2 icons that we have discovered were unhonest contributions that exist in the most recent version. The only reason i havnt replaced them is because of extreme laziness.. well actually because of more pressing concerns about how to get the servers to stop going down :/.
This game got pretty good ratings..I just felt like it couldn't hold my interest long enough for some reason, It probably should be 7.8 overall...But as far as gameplay goes it's pretty great.
Don't feel bad Masterdan theres really no point in saying omg only 2 of my icons are ripped doubt people will really care :\
Anything below an 8 seems pretty low for this game. If the gameplay got 9, and the graphics (Which, are above average) got a 7.5, a 7.2 is low.

But there will be more reviews of this game that might be more accurate.
Rugg wrote:
Anything below an 8 seems pretty low for this game. If the gameplay got 9, and the graphics (Which, are above average) got a 7.5, a 7.2 is low.

But there will be more reviews of this game that might be more accurate.

7.2 is kindof low, but in all honesty I think it doesn't deserve an 8, maybe 7-7.9. I kept getting that feeling like I was doing the same thing over and over again, the missions had absolutely no depth, and the map seems uninhabited, seeing as the game has very few enterable buildings for such an enormous map. I think that's what really drove me to writing 7.2. The people who play it will always argue otherwise though. BYOND games should never get perfect scores in my opinion..
You have DMO an 8.9. GOA most certainly has more depth than that game.

DMO captures Yu Gi Oh very well. and Naruto GOA captures Naruto very well also. Doing the same thing over and over again..? I dont think I would want to intake a review from someone who hasn't spent much depth into the game. Its sort of like reading game informer magazine.

Missions? No depth? The missions are PRETTY advanced compared to some of the other Naruto games. You were level 20? Well that means that you only had access to 2 missions. Try ranking up so you can try out the other missions before you critique how in depth they are.

Oh and. GOA doesn't deserve a perfect score. But it doesn't deserve a 7.2.
yeah, and the graphics dont deserve a 7.5 either, 2shea did an incredible job on the turfs and ABK/Tye/Buster/Myself did a good job on the other graphics in the game.
It takes quite a while to get to level 20...I think I covered most of the major points. I'm certainly not going to play the game for a year just to write one page about it. We all know this would've been criticized no matter what grade it gets. How worse could it have been? Much worse...I barely mentioned the community because that's something that shouldn't really effect the game too much.
Page: 1 2