ID:41493

Keywords: games, programming

Poll: What should I be working on next?

More Random Apps (see right box) 22% (4)
Indy Sockets Web Host Interface Lib 11% (2)
Irrlicht 3d Interface Lib 0% (0)
The Outlands 2.0 16% (3)
A multiplayer shooter 50% (9)

Login to vote.

So yeh, I'm pretty bored at the moment with regards to programming. So I've decided to put it up the community as to what I work on next.

My current Delphi project is vectorgraphic Asteroids, which is working pretty well but I have some wierd errors which I can't trace. I've got ship movement random asteroid generation and a toroidal (wrap-around) game field but the wierd errors are holding me back a bit.
For a while I was thinking of building an interface to the Irrlicht 3d library for BYOND using the new call() features. I had a couple of procedures written (windows could be created, titles could be edited, text could be written to the screen as GUI objects) but I didn't really have time to go very far with it. Also, the 3d stuff only works on the host's machine which is a bit rubbish, but I guess you could still link it up as a multiplayer game using persistant world.Export connections or an external network lib.
My newest idea is to write an interface lib for Indy Sockets, particularly their HTTP socket object, so that game worlds could host websites for stats, player info, server info or whatever. The websites could contain stats or whatever and I might even have a go at linking it in to the key system. I have a feeling that actually detecting and processing connections would be a bit tricky but meh, I'm sure I'd find a way. I've worked with Indy Sockets before (see Servify) so I know my way roughly around their HTTP web host object.

For the external libraries, if people insisted I'd probably release the source code to a trusted member of the community for checking that I'm not opening a massive backdoor in your server or something. You trust me though, right?

Anyway, the last two options are actual BYOND games.

One of the first BYOND games I did any work on was called 'The Outlands' and I wanted it to be basically your run-of-the-mill fantasy-medieval RPG game thing. I've since had some awesome ideas for things like magic and combat, not to mention skills, guilds etc. so I think I could do a good job on that.

My last option is to build the TitanNet combat system into an actual action game rather than an action-RPG. It'd be something like Counter Strike or Battlefield except obviously on a 2d field rather than a 3d one. The combat was one of the most fun parts of TitanNet so building it into its own game would make alot of sense.
I never tested out TitanNet's combat system but I've heard people talk about it. It would be cool to see a multiplayer shooter on BYOND again. The last good one I can remember was probably Faction Wars.
I'm biased. I want a BYOND version of the browser-based persistent strategy game that you were designing. ;)
I'd be much happier to do the persistant strategy game in BYOND than with PHP or something since I'm much more comfortable with DM than most other languages (except possibly for Delphi). I'd be happy to do it with BYOND.
Hm, looks like I'll be working on Asteroids and a few new screensavers (I want to release a pack for a small (maybe £2 = $4) charge at school and a new shooter game at home then. I've got a couple of awesome desktop-changing screensavers (i.e. where they take a screenshot and then do stuff to it) lined up.