ID:70447

It was really, extremely, incredibly good. Go see it.
I would see it but I can't find the 2nd half of it on the internet anywhere.
Yeah, I was really impressed. I've seen a few of the newer Star Trek movies (Generations is probably the oldest I've seen) but they never quite did it for me. This one left me wanting to see more. I can't wait until they do another.

One thing that really impressed me was the wardrobe. For some reason I was expecting them to change it to an all rubber super hero suit affair (seems to be the trend with reboots/revives/remakes). Instead they opted to keep it simple and I think it really helped the movie stand out as a serious attempt at renewing Star Trek.
I have never seen Star Trek in my entire life. Not one movie or episode. I have never even heard one line from the entire franchise. Do you think if I saw this movie, I would be really confused? Pretty much the only thing keeping me from seeing it. I heard it was sick.
I'd say you would enjoy it if you went in without any prior knowledge of Star Trek. They more or less remade it to suit the latest generations, and they succeeded.
Cavern wrote:
I have never seen Star Trek in my entire life. Not one movie or episode. I have never even heard one line from the entire franchise. Do you think if I saw this movie, I would be really confused? Pretty much the only thing keeping me from seeing it. I heard it was sick.

You've definitely heard at least one line that originated from Star Trek at some point in your life.
Beam me up, scotty.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to. Everyone that I know has seen it says it was awesome. I have a few friends that don't want to, though, just because it looks dumb to them.
This movie is basically an ode to Wrath of Kahn (Star Trek 2). Anyone who isn't familiar with Star Trek ought to go see that first - it's the best "old" Trek movie, and will make watching the new one much more enjoyable. The new Star Trek certainly isn't built for people who know absolutely nothing about the characters.
SilkWizard wrote:
The new Star Trek certainly isn't built for people who know absolutely nothing about the characters.

I got through it with my only real knowledge of the original series being from Futurama, Simpsons and Boston Legal. One of the guys I saw it with had literally never seen anything of Star Trek (new or old) and he loved it.
It seems like they went out of their way to make sure that anybody could enjoy the movie. Rather than inserting random winks and nods they just let them flow into the story naturally.
With movies like this they'll often insert a line like "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor" in a way that if you don't get the reference you recognize that you're missing something.
With this Star Trek they blended it all together so well that fans get their winks and nods but newbies don't feel like they're missing something. I'm sure half the movie went over my head, but rather than feeling alienated I was able to just enjoy the movie.
You can no doubt enhance the movie by learning more about Star Trek, but the story, characters and dialogue all work perfectly fine as a standalone product.

The only thing that really confused me was why the enemy vessel was so powerful. Sure, it's bound to have a few technological advantages, but they didn't stop at any point and upgrade it. You'd think it would have pretty basic defensive weaponry at best. Surely not enough to be a match for even an older model ship like the Kelvin.
I'm not sure if that would make sense with a deeper knowledge of Star Trek, or if it's just one of those dumb things movies do.
DarkView wrote:
The only thing that really confused me was why the enemy vessel was so powerful.

According to the tie-in comic, they upgraded it with Borg technology. You also have to remember that the Romulans were also more advanced than the Federation, and that they are a little bit paranoid.
Popisfizzy wrote:
You also have to remember that the Romulans were also more advanced than the Federation, and that they are a little bit paranoid.

Yeah, it seems that some really significant changes had been made between the time periods of the ships built, as well has having the Romulan's ship just being a lot, lot bigger.

And there was no real suggestion that the Romulan ship didn't take heavy damage both times, just that it wasn't pointed out or shown in any major way.

Anyhow, I love the movie, and so did my friends I went with, one of which hadn't seen a full episode of Star Trek ever, and was a huge Star Wars fan. This movie was just great for everyone. Well, everyone except hard core Star Trek fans that hated all the action and wanted more boring diplomacy(I recommend they watch Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars to get their fix of that).
Popisfizzy wrote:
You also have to remember that the Romulans were also more advanced than the Federation, and that they are a little bit paranoid.

I guess that makes some sense. The first fight is just against the old Kelvin so they had them at negotiations point pretty much right off the bat.
Then they had like twenty years to wait before the ambush so I'm guessing they put a bit of work into repairs and upgrades.