ID:711382

Keywords: a, as, connecting, guest
(See the best response by Higoten.)
I disable firewall, still no work? My brother plays too.
Best response
Hi hanslice,

Does your brother also have this same problem? and does he use the same computer as you?

If he doesn't have this same problem, and uses a different computer, can you check to see if you are able to log in as a guest on his computer?

Some general information that we'll need to help you with your problem:

1) What Operating system are you using?
2) What version of BYOND are use using?
3) What firewalls/antivrius systems do you have?
4) What graphics card do you have?
5) Have you ever been able to successfully join a BYOND game as yourself, or have you always had to use a guest key?
6) If you have, have you made any signifficent changes to your computer when this started occuring?

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response or any response you receive help you to solve your issue, please be sure to click the vote button Photobucket of the "most helpful response". This not only shows the volunteers that you appreciate their time, but helps other members who may be experiencing the same problem find a solution.
My brother does not have the same problem.
And uhm, I can't log into his.

1) 32 bit
2) I have the Windows zip [493.1117]
3) Uhm, Idk.
4) I don't know what my card driver is but its broken so I'm on safe mode.
5) I did before until I restore my computer.
6) I restore my computer to differnt point of time by accident

Extra information about my computer:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @
2.33GHz 2.33 GHz.
installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.50 GB usable)
System type: 32-bit Operating System.
Pen and Touch: No pen or Touch input is available for this display.
BYOND can't work properly in safe mode, which is true for most things.
When you say that you can't log into his, do you mean that you have tried to log in and it hasn't worked, or that he simply won't let you try? Do you both use the same computer?

Its going to be important to know what firewalls and antivirus programs are installed on your computer, as this is most-likely where this problem lies. Espically if this started happening right after doing a computer restore. If you can figure out what firewalls you have, check to make sure that none of them are blocking BYOND.exe, Dreamseeker.exe, or Dreamdaemon.exe.

Although I'm also concerned by what you meant by your answer to #4. If your graphics card was actually broken, then you wouldn't be able to see anything on your monitor. It wouldn't matter if you were in safe mode or not. Actually, trying to run BYOND while in safe mode may be why your having this problem.
Version 494 may be able to help resolve the "login as guest" issue in some cases, but based on the fact that you're running in safe mode, I think this isn't one of them. You're going to have to resolve the hardware issue and get up and running normally first.
I used to play before in safe mode, and my brother won't simply try it.
Safe mode may or may not be related to your issue, although I have difficulty seeing how it working without a few problems. But because a lot of things are expected not to work right in safe mode, and the mode itself is only meant to be used for diagnosing problems and fixing them during times of system instability, it's pointless to try solving a software problem when your hardware is messed up. You absolutely need to take care of the bigger problem, not just because it's a big deal on its own but because it's clouding the other one.
I have this same problem, some games work, some don't. I says "Connecting" then just stops. I've seen multiple people post this issue since a few version back when the issue started with me. I stopped using Byond completely because my favorite games won't work. It's NOT my firewall as that's the only thing any admin ever says on this so called help forum. Something not work "Check your firewall" I know for certain it's not that and I've made my own topics on this issue as well. Once I check the 3-4 things the admins tell me to do and still come up with false positives they bail out and stop talking to me. They don't even say "We'll check into the issue" the admin trying to help me just disappears from my topic and stops replying even though my issue is no solved.

For example.
I have a 32 bit system as well, Nvidia graphics card fully updated (No it doesn't have a built in firewall). I used to be able to log in WITH this same system, AND this same Graphics card. There has been no big change in my system over the past year and just 6 months ago Byond worked fine and I used it everyday. The only thing I can come down with is that you guys changed something within the code a few months back because I downloaded a new version and bam a ton of online ACTIVE servers stop working for certain people.
Hi Kyiaro,

We know this is a frustrating issue, but I suspect that Hanslice's issue is not the same issue as what you are reporting, as Han's issue has to due with constantly connecting as a guest, while your problem seems to be a inconsistent connection failure, a problem that has been around for years. You should either post in a new topic, or in an older report of yours (preferably with additional information).

However, If you do have reason to believe that your issue is directly related to the program itself, every single version of BYOND from 3.5 to the latest version is always available for download for testing purposes, if you feel so inclined. (You may run into a issue connecting to newer servers with older versions of BYOND, but that's just a complication of testing you'll have to resolve.)

btw, we are volunteers, not administrators.

Good luck!