yeah u start at lvl 3 like swan said, well you used to lol, empy meet me in game I shall give u lots of gp!! Lol like a few hundred :P
Server?
What's your characters name :P? and i guess i've been going on server 71 since its a UK one and automatically suggested lol.
EmperorSlime. Also, figured out a way to skip tutorial so I'm out of it now.
Nice, I haven't been on the game for so long.. I seem to have forgotten what to do lol, and i've added ya Empy :O
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Right now everyone's complaining about how this is turning into "WoWscape" and how horrible it will be. Blah blah blah, the typical stuff that happens when any little change in an MMO occurs.

Actually if you're going to copy any MMO, WoW is obviously your best choice. People say that "it honestly sucks. I has no gameplay value and everyone who plays it could be entertained with a coloring book. Real MMO players play Knights of the Old Republic!"

If that were true, WoW wouldn't have systematically murdered it's competition in a bloody massacre, including Knights of the Old Republic. Anyone denying that fact is only lying to themselves.
Here are the only people who have qualms with WoW:

1. People who played it during Vanilla and are now all "OMG, the game was so much better back in the day, now it sucks, thanks for ruining the game Blizzard." Which, you can't expect to play a game for several years and not have to deal with some changes you may disagree with. That's just how development is - you can't make all of the people happy all of the time.

2. People who played other MMOs first, like Runescape, and tried WoW next and say it sucks because it's too different from what they're used to.

3. Retards who have never even tried the game and jump on the "WoW sucks" bandwagon for the sake of an argument.

And besides, the changes are not making this WoWscape. After the update, there will still be several drastic differences between Runescape and World of Warcraft. People are just idiots and say stupid crap whenever any little change is made.
So I guess its impossible to just not enjoy theme park game play? I spent 80 bucks buying wow and the expansions(Also bought it for a friend) and quit after a week because I was so bored. I'm not saying that the game sucks, I just don't find it fun in the least.
LOL, World of Warcraft has a trial version for a reason.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Yeah, we were a little over ambitious. All I had heard up to that point was that the game was so good it has 10 million players blah blah blah. I figured if it was doing so well anyone would find it fun. Tis not so. The most fun ive had playing any mmo was probably shin megami tensei imagine. Its like pokemon online, but instead of pokemon you collect demons.
The new free to play to level 20 thing is actually really nice now. It still doesn't really help though since even if you just wanna try it out to see how it is, it's a huge download for the client. That's what turns newer players off from just trying it out. It's only worth the half-a-dozen Gigs to download it if you actually plan on paying for it.

EDIT: WoW is very much a social game. Without friends to play with, it's just so boring, and as a former WoW addict, I can testify to that case. But if you do have a nice group of friends to tag along raids with, it's an exhilarating and challenging experience that simply no other MMO can compete with.
Runescape is going to suck when they add this update lol... ton of peopel will quit and runescape will die :(
Why because before you used to sit and wait for people to die only ever needing to eat food? But now u have several skills which u can throw in to the mix and 90% of runescape is not combat focused so a lot of people will not really experiance much change besides better gfx I don't know how there's a downside to it lol
There is no downside. They added a hotbar and skills, OH MY GOSH WHAT A TRAVESTY. The thing that makes it hard to leave Runescape is that it's too unique. I can't name a MMORPG I played that plays very similar to Runescape the same way I can find a bunch of WoW clones ( Allods, Runes of Magic, 4Story etc ). If people leave, they're coming right back because there really is no alternative for players who enjoy the Runescape style of gameplay.

People are doing the same thing over in WoW. "omigawd Mists of Pandaria is going to be the end of this game, R.I.P. Blizzard". Bet you anything no one leaves and even if people do, it'll be such a small number no one will care.
In all fairness, WoW players have always have a knack for dealing with changes. A lot of players are actually quite understanding about changes, such as when they severely nerfed the Paladin heals. That really pissed some people off. As with the case of Mists, most people know WoW isn't going to die after it releases, nor really take any hit on it's number of players. The problem people have with Mists is that it just doesn't seem like it can live up to the epic story brought thus far, Wrath taking that award by a vast mile. People are just looking for another epic story to battle in. More huge boss fights and raids, and Mists just doesn't look like it has that at all. People aren't really mad, they're disappointed, which if we all remember our days as children, that was much worse.

I might get on if I can remember my info

edit: Add me, Dyvenx
Sorry to be such a downer but can somebody explain to me the appeal of Runescape as it is nowadays? I was an active player from Summer 2001 through the holidays of that year before slowly transitioning from it to Byond and specifically DWO. At the time, its appeal to me was its uniqueness in the still nubile MMORPG market. Browser based and free to play, it was far more accessible than Ultima Online and Everquest and thus I could see the merits in its existence.

Fast forward to now however and while it is obvious the game has advanced graphically and made progress in gameplay mechanics, it still lags behind compared to most MMORPGS. While I can appreciate that most MMORPGs are developed or funded by sizable companies compared to Runescape's meager beginnings, its still bothersome to me personally that despite two graphical overhauls, it still lags behind the likes of Shadowbane and DAoC.

Then there's the issue of its unique qualities, first its free to play model. Back in early 2002, Runescape introduced its membership program and began to structure the game into a two tier system with expansive areas/equipment/etc. exclusive only to members (If this has changed and these areas are open to all now, let me know). Despite this, it still remained a unique free MMORPG but that was before the recent change in pay models in mainstream mmorpgs in the last few years. This recent trend has completely shredded one of Runescape's unique qualities as numerous P2P MMORPGs have swapped to either trial versions of their games (kinda comparable to Runescape's system except shorter and with more restrictions) or have gone either further with cash shops to support total access to all facets of the game to all players. With the likes of LOTRO and Aion changing sides and joining dozens of out of the box F2P games that have come out in recent years, this aspect of Runescape has been crowded out.

Secondly, the browser gameplay of Runescape admittedly remains largely unchallenged by a true MMORPG of caliber but with the likes of Minecraft and Realm of the Mad God testing these waters lately, how many more years will this remain true? I guess my point is, I look at Runescape back then and saw its viability since it served a niche for folks not looking to pay for their online gaming. Nowadays however there are countless alternatives to compete with and the only thing I see that separates Runescape still is its true MMORPG experience in a web browser and the accompanying need to not spend a few hours downloading and installing it.

Besides that, what are the other reasons you all still frequent Runescape on occasion? TL;DR, I'm curious.
I don't frequent Runescape. I'm only coming back because they're finally doing some things to make the game worth checking out again. I haven't played this since I was like 12-13ish.

Also, I really don't consider the games you listed to be competition to Runescape. Sure, they're MMOs, but there are large differences in the players who like WoW-style gameplay and those who like RS-style gameplay. It's like comparing Battlefield to Call of Duty. Yeah, they're both FPS games, but there are certain aspects in the gameplay that differ greatly and most die-hard CoD fans claim BF3 is worse and vice versa. Like I said before, there are MMORPG alternatives, but there is no Runescape alternative because no RPG out there plays like it does.

And plus you always have the age factor to deal with as well. Like WoW, a lot of players don't leave because:

1. It's a game they've invested tons of time into so they're reluctant to just up and quit.

2. It's the game all their friends play - no one is going to hop over to RotMG for instance when all their buddies are still back at Runescape.

I don't think the quality of Runescape is necessarily an issue here. It's the style of the game and how it plays. Remember, people were hardcore Runescape fans even when it had graphics that looked like a 10 year old whipped them up in Anim8or. The characters in Runescape are just now getting hands with fingers for crying out loud! No matter how much a game like WoW has superior graphics, animations, music, storyline etc., a person who doesn't like WoW gameplay will never play WoW.
Just like you Cyberhoud, I started from the beginning as well probably slightly late 2001 or early 2002 when the game was still very new, rune was godlike and you had little to no guidance and were left to adventure this huge world which was free, full of quests and things to do.

None of the things that got me interested in RS have really changed such as adventure, merchanting, questing and collecting!

It's a 50/50 free/pay game, requires no download, has no real game of similarity, very easy to jump in and out of whenever you feel, there really is such a variety to do in it and you can just focus on one aspect that you enjoy.

Also one thing i always liked about Runescape was, like the elder scrolls games you are not class fixed, you can freely be the type of fighter you want to be, changing back and fourth between combat styles

I've not played Runescape for around 2 years now and before that i hadn't played for about a year i seem to visit the game every other year, but with this update, i'm holding high hopes for the once lacking combative system which could prove to make the game slightly that much more interesting for people who do focus on combat.

Page: 1 2 3