ID:98414

Keywords: grid, hex, iso, proximity

Poll: Which would you prefer?

Hex Grid 41% (14)
Isometric Grid 58% (20)

Login to vote.

I'm now debating wether or not to scrap the Isometric grid fro Proximity and just go with a Hex grid instead. Whilst the Iso has been tediously fun to work with, I feel the Hex grid offers more for the game in general. So I'll put it down to a vote to get some opinions.

1. Isometric Example -

1. Hex Example -
The hex grid looks very boring in comparison. Is this how it will look if you choose to use it, or just an example?
The Isometric grid is more complete, the Hex grid is just barebones. I whipped that up in 2 minutes to give an example.
I like the Hex grid and think it would help Proximity stand out a bit from other BYOND games. I have to admit that I'm slightly curious about the effect of less/more tile neighbors switching colors at once though. Granted, it might not matter until the end game.

Maybe it's just me, but I think I'd change the numbers on tiles to 1 through 7 for hex or 1 through 9 for isometric. A tile only has so many neighbors and only the relationships between them matter. The permutations offered by the extra numbers seem superfluous. *shrug*
Hex grid.
@ACWraith
I think 1 through 20 will make it more challenging, especially with the Hex grid, however I do agree that with Isometric it should be reduced. Players will be able to choose between several game-types, so it could end up that you win based on the number of tiles you own at the end of the game, rather than points. Perhaps an option to choose between tiles level 1-10 and level 1-20?

The poll ended up more even than I anticipated, and not many people have commented on their choice.