ID:1569600

Graphics are subjective, of course, so I'm really asking what Byond games are graphically the most popular.

I'm asking this question because,

1. I haven't been on BYOND in quite some time.
2. A friend of mine made a jab about BYOND having no beautiful games. I'd like to hope that just isn't true.
3. Just having some raw data on what graphics are enjoyed and what aren't is good data; it sort of let's us all know what key features are commonly found aesthetic, and which aren't. Games are designed with the commonhood in mind, and the more known about the commonhood the better.

Commonhood.

Of course, to go with that third bullet, I highly doubt 80 people are going to reply with their favorite games, and I doubt there will be a lot of common 'submissions' that point in a direction of what looks good. More likely, anywhere between 0 - 15 people will reply, and only 5 will submit games, and they'll all be different, and so it would be much harder to answer any sort of statistical questions. But at least my first two bullet points would be answered.

Cliffnotes:
Are there any beautiful games
What's your favorite game

My personal Criteria for Beautiful Games
1. The first, and obvious, is the actual quality of the individual icons. A super well drawn grass is generally better than the three-dots-and-flood-abuse grass we could make in 12 seconds.

2. The second, and what can completely nullify the first one, is ..how should I say this..matching. I'm going to call it the 'icon clock theory,' or 'icon society.' If one icon looks like it was finger painted by Stephen Hawking, then they all should. The very agreement in all of their parts makes the whole look much better. They all work together for the greater good, like the gears in a clock, or people in society. So ..yea. Icon Clock.

An example would be FF1, which I enjoyed (graphically)(I'm probably just being hipster tho)
much more than several byond games I've played.
(http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/103/1031300/ final-fantasy-20091005090019998.jpg for reference)

3. Color tones
This is simple; the tones set the mood. I prefer some tones over others.

4. Tile-less
This has been mentioned in much of the main pixel art literature out there ( not that there's much of that at all); mapping is generally considered better if you can icon in a way that makes the player forget that everything from 16 tiles on your kitchen floor to the great billions of grains of sand in the Sahara is being represented by 16 tiles on your kitchen floor.

Sometimes tiles are ok, but something about Byond games have made me aware of a whole new sort of overly-tiled games.
Unfortunately the majority of BYOND games with superior pixel art are never released. But for the ones that have been I would have to say Pokemon Z and Eternia.

Any style is fine, as long as it is consistent. I personally prefer bright colors and implied detail, but i'm branching out.
Hm. Spirit Age if you count unreleased, and what little I've seen of Eternia warrants it be mentioned...

Hmmmm. Epic: Legend was done pretty well. Oddly enough, I'm having a bit of a hard time here because a lot of the art I've enjoyed the most on BYOND has been either by Zane444? I think is the name, or Boxcar, who just posted above. Zane444 is Spirit Age, and Box Cars is usually just free resource or teasers that may or may not lead to something...

Casual quest, which at this point I don't know if it's BYOND or not anymore, is another that comes to mind with the updates it has coming.

Honestly, the art in BYOND just semi-recently started getting better. I guess it comes with the game improvements, even though the two aren't always in the same game. I'm one of the people trying to make at least some of my projects have 'beautiful art' but most of my work is still unreleased so that remains to be seen when I release to the public.

If Alchemist ever gets released, it would look incredible, though I want to say that was free resource art? I'm really not sure. It was isometric though. The same could be said if artists like Skyiden? Iffy on spelling, Pandora's Secret? etc got some projects released. I'm not sure if they ever did or not.
I'd say Spirit Age. But the game isn't interesting, and there's fps lag.
Um, hello? Alchemist 2 is all original art done by either myself or Makeii.
Ah, Alchemist 2! How could I forget that? I thought about Startegem but it's pretty basic. It's the GUI that gets me. Alchemist 2 is great all around from what I've seen, especially with animate.
Pokemon Z, Spirit age and Eternia are the only games with high quality art well that i know of i remember seeing some game on youtube that was on byond where the art was simple but nice forgot what it was called...

Anything with Zane, Zete and Skyiden will always catch my eye but Bteks, Boxcar, VixiV and A2J2 are really starting to catch my eyes aswell.
*cries* Lol
Any game with art made by Akto.
In response to Southend_boi
Southend_boi wrote:
Pokemon Z, Spirit age and Eternia are the only games with high quality art well that i know of i remember seeing some game on youtube that was on byond where the art was simple but nice forgot what it was called...

Anything with Zane, Zete and Skyiden will always catch my eye but Bteks, Boxcar, VixiV and A2J2 are really starting to catch my eyes aswell.

I feel honored my name was mentioned lol, but about the question. There aren't any top of the line games on byond that have what i would consider "great art" as of now that is. But i do believe there are ones that have art that is really good and aesthetically pleasing i guess, like alchemist and such.
In response to Southend_boi
Southend_boi wrote:

Aren't we the only artists left on BYOND? :P But yes just like VixiV I feel honored to be mentioned by you Southend.

About games that have best graphics in order:

1. Magic Awakening: Pride Ravanok, if you are seeing this I am sorry but I had to show everyone what your game looks like! Here's a screenshot I downloaded from Coffee's website:

2. Spirit Age:

3. Eternia

4. Folkore: Judging from screenshot it has.
I thought magic awakening was being made in unity
Cyclope? Hmm.
In response to Fugsnarf
Cyclope is actually the singular for Cyclopes. It looks strange until you hear how cyclopes is pronounced, then it makes sense.
That's not what I find when I look it up in Greek mythology. Polyphemus is always referred to as a Cyclops - even in the Odyssey itself.
That screenshot from magic awakening looks sickening! who made the art for that game?
In response to Pandora'sSecret
Pandora'sSecret wrote:
That screenshot from magic awakening looks sickening! who made the art for that game?

I know he is paying a couple artist to make the game.
In response to Pandora'sSecret
Pandora'sSecret wrote:

I already mentioned and hyperlinked the artist's website.
Lol i just realized I said if Alchemist ever gets released before, but I meant Apprentice. I already know Alchemist 2 will get released and look awesome.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5