Since maps are handdrawn in lof animated objects /turfs have to be placed on the map seperately, hence why the fountain isnt animated here.

Tl:dr the map is one big png image
Does hand-drawn maps have a performance increase? Due to there being way less objects on the map?
In response to Lavenblade
It's... I don't think it leans either way.
Byond certainly doesn't handle large images well, but it also doesn't handle a bajillion objects.

I think LoF has just done it for stylistic and workflow reasons, it certainly /looks/ good after all.
We did alot of experimenting before actually implementing the system. Maps arent rediculosuly large. We work with a strict image size of about 1600 which translate to about 50x50 this is much smaller than most byond maps to begin with.

So there is a nice performance increase. This also means that the client only has to render the image one time'
In response to Pixelcomet
Huh. That's interesting. Would you say it actually works better to have several smaller zones each containing one map than to have a few zones that contain the equal of several pngs/maps?

The way you said that makes me think smaller ones are better, because the way BYOND loads maps might make that more efficient due to it loading unnecessary areas.

Also loving the hell out of that dragon by the way. Rushnuts comment makes sense, and I find it a bit inspiring too. I might have to play around with that inspiration.
Ishuri would be able to answer that better than i can. But i think the way he arranges them are large z levels but the actual playing area s are much smaller.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Gotta love those personalities.
General combat testing before version finalization:

Playing with parallax.

(It's not all stripey in game... Dang .gifs)
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Playing with parallax.

(It's not all stripey in game... Dang .gifs)

that's starting to look nice
http://files.byondhome.com/TheMagicMan/protohype4.png

I still have no possible idea what this could be. But if I did have an idea I'd say most of the hard work is done and now all I need to add is the boring, time consuming stuff.
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
http://files.byondhome.com/TheMagicMan/protohype4.png

I still have no possible idea what this could be. But if I did have an idea I'd say most of the hard work is done and now all I need to add is the boring, time consuming stuff.

Looks interesting.
In response to Flick
IGN 9.9/10
The parallax looks really good, Flick!
It's still a little flaky... I'm not sure I know exactly how I got it to work, much like most of my code :P I haven't done the up/down parallax yet since I wanted to get left/right fixed first. Graphics are a little rushed, but I like it so far. :)
A few more details.
http://files.byondhome.com/TheMagicMan/cardsnew.png

Not sure what these are but I've been drawing them today.

Maybe one day I'll be good at drawing.
In response to The Magic Man
can you like start posting your pictures the way everyone else does lol?
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
can you like start posting your pictures the way everyone else does lol?

um tbh magic man is a groned man he can do wat he want
Page: 1 2 3 ... 224 225 226 227 228 ... 349 350 351