ID:182948

... or is it built on C++, Java etc etc?

I ask because I have a decompiled version of Space Station 13 and wish to remake it on a new engine.
How did you decompile the code? If you asked a question like this, I'm doubting you wrote a DM decompiler, as the question makes little sense.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
How did you decompile the code? If you asked a question like this, I'm doubting you wrote a DM decompiler, as the question makes little sense.

I didn't decompile Space Station 13 myself.
In response to SACorbius
Didn't think so. Regardless, the code you have will be in an unreadable format if you truly did decompile. Don't mistake resource-extracting as decompiling, though.

Also, you first question still makes little sense.
Popisfizzy wrote:
Didn't think so. Regardless, the code you have will be in an unreadable format if you truly did decompile. Don't mistake resource-extracting as decompiling, though.

Also, you first question still makes little sense.

Well... what's troubling you most about it? :/
In response to SACorbius
SACorbius wrote:
Well... what's troubling you most about it? :/

Basically, you weren't really all that specific. BYOND itself was written in C++, but we can't really tell if that's actually what you were asking. It seemed like you also could've been referring to the language itself or that cup of tea in China that everyone is always referring to.
In response to SACorbius
Obviously BYOND uses its own code. When someone writes some code in BYOND, they use the DM.
//DM example of a "Hello world!" program.

mob/Login()
..()
world << "Hello world!"

//C++ example of a "Hello world!" program.

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello world!\n";

return 0;
}

As you can see, they're rather different. DM would never compile in a C++ compiler and vice-versa. You won't be able to copy/paste the code you have an expect it to compile for any compiler but Dream Maker. It just won't happen.
Space Station 13 wasn't exactly a well programmed game, certainly not enough to go through the trouble of decompiling it to assembly and then going through and rebuilding it into DM code.
Popisfizzy wrote:
Obviously BYOND uses its own code. When someone writes some code in BYOND, they use the DM.
> //DM example of a "Hello world!" program.
>
> mob/Login()
> ..()
> world << "Hello world!"
>
> //C++ example of a "Hello world!" program.
>
> #include <iostream>
>
> int main()
> {
> std::cout << "Hello world!\n";
>
> return 0;
> }
>

Of course, its perfectly acceptable for you to write your DM like this:

mob/Login()
{
world << "Hello world!";

return 0;
}

Which is kinda similar!
In response to Obs
BYOND is compiled into bytecode, not assembly.
Byond was cast in the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, by the Darklords Dan and Tom to control all of the internet. And into these programs they poured all their cruelty, their malice, and their will to dominate all life. One suite to rule them all.

I hope I've cleared things up. :D

Probably C++. Why would someone 'make a programming language'?
In response to EGUY
EGUY wrote:

Ask the guys that made C++ that question.

-- Data
In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
EGUY wrote:

Ask the guys that made C++ that question.

-- Data

To be technical, C++ being a modified version of C really isn't any more original.

And, since C might be based off of B or A... who knows who to ask..
In response to Chessmaster_19
C is based of ALGOL.
In response to Android Data
Guy who developed C++ was answering the cry for modern programming. C was the last major pre-Modern programming language, but it lacked some key features, namely object oriented programming (reducing production time by quite a bit and making porting code easier), more rigid type-checking, and the STL!!!
In response to EGUY
EGUY wrote:

Because it can be very helpful to have a feature that no other language can have (or you just felt like it).

[Edit]
BTW, Byond was created using C++. It is compiled into byte-code similar to Java and then read by an interperater (sp?) to execute it.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
KodeNerd wrote:
EGUY wrote:

Because it can be very helpful to have a feature that no other language can have (or you just felt like it).

[Edit]
BTW, Byond was created using C++. It is compiled into byte-code similar to Java and then read by an interperater (sp?) to execute it.

George Gough

Well for the purpose of 2d games? C'mon. Byond doesn't seem like it's trying to revolutionize anything. It seems impractical to create an entirely new language just to add something that might have been an oversight on the part of many developing communities and teams.
In response to KodeNerd
It's run by a virtual machine, and that virtual machine is Dream Seeker.
In response to EGUY
Er, what? BYOND is the only totally free 2d multiplayer system which automatically handles networking, graphics, etc. Sounds pretty revolutionary to me.
BYOND could have been built and released as a C++ library package driven by XML or such like, but one of the reasons it was made as a full programming language and IDE is because it allows people not familiar with such languages to quickly pick up the language and be making games, as well as acting as a gateway to other languages such as C++ and Python.
Popisfizzy wrote:
It's run by a virtual machine, and that virtual machine is Dream Seeker.

How is that related to anything I said? An interpreter is part of the tools of the language (and I just consider the standard tools to be a part of the language). I was just saying that people create their own languages because they feel like it or they thought of a feature that was not implemented.
Page: 1 2