In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
This is why this is so difficult-- color schemes are very subjective. I personally like this a lot, but then I loved the blue and orange scheme so many hated. I guess I just feel like more color adds more "fun" to what is supposed to be a fun site. The last scheme (and what we had for a year) was very safe and I think it was hard to hate but hard to love too.

I think that what it really comes down to is what you want new users to take away when they look at the site. Right now it does look more "fun", but it also conveys a toy-like feel. It just screams "small scale operation" when what I think you want to be presenting is a more refined and professional looking business.

So, if your goal is to legitimize BYOND in the eyes of more mature developers moving forward, a "safe" look with less color and contrast will do a much better job of making a good impression right off the bat. You don't want the site to get in the way of the image you're trying to present: it's much better that the site color scheme not catch the attention of users at all.

Anyway, that's my two cents. In some ways it's kind of the Myspace vs. Facebook visual approach, and I believe that Facebook won for a reason.
Another little thing is that the page selection buttons at the bottom of the threads appear to be a tad too close to the bottom of the posts. The effect is some pretty glaring pixel banding. I'd recommend fixing that. Other than that though, everything seems good! (:
I'd have to agree with Silk about this being a step backward. I like the gray/blue table background on posts, but the gray rows on the forum page contrast too much with the white rows. The combination of orange headers and white/grey stripes remind me of Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street.

I think with some tweaks, this color scheme will be better than the white color scheme. The white scheme, although visually appeasing, was pretty dull.

You could consider offering 2 or more color schemes a la something like the "paint it black" feature that last.fm used to feature.

Yeah, I see what you mean about the striped-effect. I think toning down that white so it is closer-- but still disinguishable-- to the gray/blue alternating band will help, because it'll make the listings look more like a single unit instead of a bunch of stripes.

I hope we can keep the orange though; to me it adds much needed flair to the site. Replacing it with a shade of gray or blue would be kinda boring.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Yeah, I see what you mean about the striped-effect. I think toning down that white so it is closer-- but still disinguishable-- to the gray/blue alternating band will help, because it'll make the listings look more like a single unit instead of a bunch of stripes.

I hope we can keep the orange though; to me it adds much needed flair to the site. Replacing it with a shade of gray or blue would be kinda boring.

You could replace the two alternating colors of the forum list page with the two blue/gray colors used in these posts.

In response to Tom
Tom wrote:

Yeah, I agree. At the end of the day, this is a game site. I don't think you should aim for a super utilitarian color scheme. Some people might not like the orange, but it does make the site more "fun" looking.
In response to Aaiko
Aaiko wrote:
You could replace the two alternating colors of the forum list page with the two blue/gray colors used in these posts.

Yeah, we actually tried that initially and felt they were too close together, but it's worth another shot and maybe a public opinion. We also tried a scheme using the current blue and the gray bg color here, but I didn't like how that made the page blend into the bg.

In response to SilkWizard
SilkWizard wrote:
This is honestly a step backwards. There are clashing variations of grey all over the place (3 or 4 different greys on the forum front page). By variations of grey I'm not just talking about saturation, but different RGB ratios. The contrast between the white/grey between alternating posts is *way* too high. That shade needs to be lightened up quite a bit to make it just a touch darker than the white.

The hub pages also feature a wide variety of clashing greys and combined with the orange are really distracting and throw the focus to the wrong areas of the page. The solid orange headers in general just have a very unrefined look.

I hate criticizing after the fact - I didn't catch your discussion with Aaiko prior to this or I would have chimed in before. This just looks a lot less professional and much harder on the eyes. It really, really aged the look of the site.

I hate to reply to the same comment twice, but I reread your comment to look for feedback because I was going to go back and see if I could make changes to my mockups. But I realized that I didn't even make mockups for the things you are criticizing, so, in my defense, I had little to do with the things you are criticizing.

With that said, being that you were one of the only constructive critics, if you have any feedback on my specific mockups, I'd be glad to hear them.

http://iccusion.com/byond/games/
http://iccusion.com/byond/
Recent modification is much better. I think maybe the orange font color needs to be brighter?
I updated the index to use the blue/gray alternating color scheme instead of blue/white. It's a bit easier on the eyes, I think.
It's much easier on the eyes.
The only thing that's bugging me is the little popup window when you click on somebody's name is almost blindingly bright now.
True, that should probably be the same off-white we use elsewhere.
Agreed, and it needs a bit of shadow to match the page now.
I think the new forum list colors are good. But seeing the orange title backgrounds next to the orange colored links makes me rethink them. And I think there needs to be some gray borders in there.

Edit: I think maybe darken the orange title backgrounds just a hair. #dfa64f seems to look nice.
Sprinkle a handful of Captain Crunch throughout the layout, then we'll be in business. Oh and add a picture of Rusty the Fox in the upper left hand corner just two centimeters from the gap in bugs bunnies teeth as well as two horizontal lines that have a color scheme of green, black, blue, pink, yellow, orange, black, dookie brown, and mellow yellow also with seven perpendicular lines going south along the border of taco bell and the flinstones kids vitamins thakns!1.
http://i.imgur.com/J962y.png

MY. EYES. GAAAAH.

Btw ^ Make the forums resize the image so it doesn't breaks.
It looks amazing, well done with the colors :)
This is a nice improvement, but it could still use a little tweaking.

1) Only unread posts should have the orange header. Read posts should be #BAC3C7.
2) The page navigation at the bottom of the thread is too close to the bottom post.
3) Add another set of breadcrumbs to the bottom of a thread to make navigation easier.

Also, I think this area needs updating. It's an artifact from the old layout and clashes with all the new stuff.
I want Show Your Creations back. :(

inb4 troll, insults, etc :hides:
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
Those don't really seem relevant to anything though. Who cares what gender a person?

Um...erm...hahahahahaha~!
Well, you see, when looking to mate, you should seek out a female.
Page: 1 2 3