ID:100823

Should i make an dungeon rpg for game maker

If so, should it be multiplayer? Like teaming up with other people?

If teaming up, you can get better rewards than being on your own. (Similar to Borderlands, play on your own you don't get rare items, play with other you can get better chances of getting rares)

It's up to you
Maybe BYOND.
If your going to do a tile based game with multiplayer, seems like BYOND is your best bet.

Game Makers networking support is crap as far as I can tell.

Its an .exe as well so there is no gain over BYONDs distribution.

ts
Yes, but i don't want to do it in Dream maker since i suck at it (Yeh i suck), but Game maker seems to be easier, and i might be able to figure some sort of server solution out.
Gamemakingdude wrote:
Yes, but i don't want to do it in Dream maker since i suck at it (Yeh i suck), but Game maker seems to be easier, and i might be able to figure some sort of server solution out.

I recommend trying to figure out your networking solution before doing anything else. If you can get a multiplayer prototype working, you might raise the interest (and confidence) bar for yourself and others.
If you are looking for the easiest way to create an online dungeon RPG, I would suggest using BYOND. BYOND removes the hassle of doing networking, granted it is not too difficult especially since there are numerous libraries that provide such capabilities. But if your mind is set on Game Maker, I would suggest playing around with the GML language first. You will have to use this if you're interested in making a decent game. The GML language was a turn off in my opinion and I ultimately decided to continue using DM.

Gamemakingdude wrote:

Just because Game Maker provides a drag-n-drop interface does not make it easy to use. In my opinion, I would forgo the drag-n-drop option and stick with GML. But of course, you will also suck at it if you have no prior knowledge of the language. Like all programming languages, if you want to become better you must practice.
I haven't played around with the GM language very much, but from what I can tell it seems very similar to DM. DM actually is a lot simpler. What GM -does- have is a lot of simple ways to make things happen without typing any code at all using the drag-and-drop stuff and whatnot. You can make simple games using these methods, but nothing too spectacular, I would think.

I don't really think one is easier than the other. I also don't think one is all too better than the other. The best thing GM has that BYOND doesn't is basic 3D capabilities. Other than that, in my opinion, neither is better than the other. I would lean more towards BYOND actually in your case, since you want to have an online game, since GM takes a bit more effort to host a game on a server. DM does it automatically.
Until they get rid of the with() construction, I'm never touching GML again :<

I've always thought the way Game Maker is set up is suited best for Action and Arcade games. You'll have a tougher time designing the range of interfaces needed for an RPG in Game Maker compared to BYOND. Unless you're talking about a bare-bones dungeon RPG, like Gauntlet Legends. That might be doable.
Hmm. Thanks for your comments. I'll take in mind on what platform to do. I did some Game maker language before Dream maker so i have experience in it already. And on my youtube channel i had 2 uncompleted games made with game maker.