ID:121355

I've been having problems worrying about working a job while taking classes, while attempting to get serious work done of Vault of Heaven.

A solution came to me a few weeks ago, and I am attempting to use Kickstarter to help me fund my game. It'll help in the sense that I will actually have time to sit down for a few hours and work on it daily, and also in the sense that it's really hard to find people who are excellent pixel artists or musicians who are willing to work for free.

While I'm not super optimistic about the odds of raising the target of two thousand dollars, it's certainly worth a shot, and if it fails, it still has a chance to do some good by bringing attention to the game and Byond as a whole.

KS link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2126976244/ vault-of-heaven-online-turn-based-rpg-project-pc

PS: I don't mind most of the byond trolls (You know who you are), but I will ban anyone trolling this topic.
I have an advice. Do not hire pixel artists till you get actual gameplay.
Avainer1 wrote:
I have an advice. Do not hire pixel artists till you get actual gameplay.

According to a lot of programmers it's the other way around, they need all the art if their even going to think about making the game playable.

Being an artist I love to see a game in action and provide artwork for it, but in no way is it necessary to see the game since viewing a game doesn't affect where I place a pixel down or not. (Unless the game has slow attacking, in which case you'd modify an attack state.)

The art is For the game, not the other way around. If you make an awesome game, art can only make it look fantastic. In short, art complements your game. Unfortunately many programmers tend to use it to cover up their game's flaws or shortcomings.

Just a small rant, this isn't aimed at Techgamer, it aimed at those who use art as an excuse why not to do something. Tech's been working on this game for awhile and he's asking for art months later, you don't need art to work on a project.
I had a snoop around Kickstart and it seems that unless your project has a video, with commentary from yourself, there isn't much chance of people contributing their cash-- that's what the popular projects had, anyhow.

Best of luck with this, seems like a great idea. I'm going to attempt it myself in the near feature.
Lol, $2000 to make a BYOND game?
Indeed. Make a video, talk about how awesome your game is going to be, and really sell the fact that there are perks for being a donor. People like perks.
You should have showed more then just some building, you would have had at least 200 by now, if you showed some basic gameplay functions.
Yeah, I'm working on a gameplay video now, but my finals are coming up.

(I picked a horrid, horrid time to kickstart, I'm regretting not waiting 2 weeks)