ID:122992

egends Online Development

Currently, we are in the pixel art creation phase of development. We have acquired a modest budget of $5000.00 USD to invest in pixel art. This affords us roughly about 1000 32x32 tiles @ $5.00 per tile. If you've ever played a good rpg on SNES, you probably couldn't figure out where tiles began or where tiles ended. This is because the artist create many many variations of tiles... these tiles are also constructed in such a way that a auto-tiling engine can compute even more possibilities and variations when placing each tile in the world. This takes a great deal of effort to create a convincing environment, and hence costs a lot of money. Hopefully, it all pays off in the end. I really wish I could show you some examples of how beautiful the art-work really is so far, but unfortunately we must keep this project under wraps until it is ready to share with the world.

Anyways, we are always interested in more help in the pixel art department. If you know anyone who is extremely talented at pixel art, and would like to make video game art and get paid for it... let us know! Here's a thread to point you to our classified ad placed for acquiring help: http://www.byond.com/developer/forum/?id=800253
I visited pixel joint to get my artwork done. pixeljoint.com, then headed to the forums and posted there. Had someone working on it within the day.
Dariuc wrote:
I visited pixel joint to get my artwork done. pixeljoint.com, then headed to the forums and posted there. Had someone working on it within the day.

Yeah, we currently have 3 pixel artists from that site!
Awesome. If you don't mind me asking how did you manage to raise 5000 for your budget? I'm looking at raising some money here soon so I don't have to pay for it all out of my own pocket.
Dariuc wrote:
Awesome. If you don't mind me asking how did you manage to raise 5000 for your budget? I'm looking at raising some money here soon so I don't have to pay for it all out of my own pocket.

It is self funded. I am paying to make the game.
Dariuc wrote:

http://kickstarter.com is a good place if you're able to put together a professional, convincing video.
Awesome thanks. I'll check it out!
Just curious, who do you have as programmers?
Techgamer wrote:
Just curious, who do you have as programmers?

Currently its just me. I have a guy ready to make a client in JAVA and help start a server in C++ if that day ever comes, but those are long term big plan people that don't have anything to do with the proof of concept being made here.

When we have the alpha ready this summer (hopefully), we will be need level-designers and maybe some extra programmers to keep up with content generation and feature expansion.
Are you making this game using BYOND's engine? Forgive me if it answers this question in the ad, I only skimmed it.
Games with funding, love it.
Cyberlord84 wrote:
Are you making this game using BYOND's engine? Forgive me if it answers this question in the ad, I only skimmed it.

Sort of. Our game doesn't really use the map editor or the default behavior of BYOND but it runs in DM / Dream Daemon. The interface for the client is entirely in the map (no interface controls are used). Even chat will take place on the drawing surface.

We have people that can help us port this to C++ / Java / andriod iOS if we can prove that the proof in concept is successful.
http://joeysturgis.com/zen/
Are you the owner of this site it was linked to a image on your forum post
WorleyBirdGames wrote:
http://joeysturgis.com/zen/
Are you the owner of this site it was linked to a image on your forum post

Yes. I am a music producer as a career. I have programming and game development as an interest on the side. This year I am taking less clients to put more attention on this project.