ID:137963

I was trying to figure out tonight how to host a local version of the game so that it didn't show up on the hub, but I could tell others the address and they could join. I hosted a version with world.hub = -1, but then couldn't figure out the address of the game to tell people. How should I do this?

Z
On 5/27/01 11:51 pm Zilal wrote:
I was trying to figure out tonight how to host a local version of the game so that it didn't show up on the hub, but I could tell others the address and they could join. I hosted a version with world.hub = -1, but then couldn't figure out the address of the game to tell people. How should I do this?

world.url, I believe.

If it's not your own game so you can't get this in the code, I presume you're using the Host button. Down in the lower right corner it should tell you the port number, so the address is byond:/<dontautoconvertthis>/ your_ip_address:port_number

You need to figure out your ip address. One way is to make a verb to print out client.address and output that when you login. Alternatively, you can go to the dosprompt and type "ipconfig" to see the ip associated with your online service. Then tell your friends to type your_ip:your_port and they'll be able to connect.

In the future we'll provide a way of broadcasting worlds to select groups (most specifically your pager friends), so you won't have to ever know these mundane details. At the very least, we can spit out this client address somewhere in DS for you.

Tell me if this works out.
In response to Air Mapster
On 5/27/01 11:58 pm Air Mapster wrote:

world.url, I believe.

Ah! Even better. I had forgotten we had that. See if it works, as I certainly haven't used it!

Z

ok click start-run and tpye winIPconf and hit run.. then when you are going to host make your own port usually 2525 or 7272 or things like that... then it should be byond://{place your defalt gateway from IPconf here):port

i thought you would know something like that..
In response to Tom
On 5/27/01 11:59 pm Tom wrote:

You need to figure out your ip address. One way is to make a verb to print out client.address and output that when you login. Alternatively, you can go to the dosprompt and type "ipconfig" to see the ip associated with your online service. Then tell your friends to type your_ip:your_port and they'll be able to connect.

In the future we'll provide a way of broadcasting worlds to select groups (most specifically your pager friends), so you won't have to ever know these mundane details. At the very least, we can spit out this client address somewhere in DS for you.

Tell me if this works out.

i sometimes add peaple to my pager INSTEAD of banning there key... you can see everything there doing..hehe
In response to Tom
On 5/28/01 12:01 am Tom wrote:
On 5/27/01 11:58 pm Air Mapster wrote:

world.url, I believe.

Ah! Even better. I had forgotten we had that. See if it works, as I certainly haven't used it!

winIPconf is much better.....
In response to jobe
On 5/28/01 6:45 am jobe wrote:
ok click start-run and tpye winIPconf and hit run.. then when you are going to host make your own port usually 2525 or 7272 or things like that... then it should be byond://{place your defalt gateway from IPconf here):port

i thought you would know something like that..

I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

I used to do this kind of stuff all the time, but I was really struggling last night. I could not figure out how to change what port I was hosting stuff on. There was that "Edit" button, but when I clicked on that, the box to change the port number was greyed out.

Anyway. If nothing else this is probably a sign that this kind of thing should be made easier. When you go to host a game, you should be asked if it's to be public or private, I think, and if it's the latter, there should be an easy way to invite your friends. Actually, maybe we should have that anyway. You could send someone a special page whereby they would get a link they could click to join you in your private/public game.

Thanks for the help!

Z
Neither ipconfig or winIPconf worked for me from Run or the dos prompt, but thankfully I recalled winipcfg. Weird, huh?

Z

In response to Zilal
On 5/28/01 10:25 pm Zilal wrote:
Neither ipconfig or winIPconf worked for me from Run or the dos prompt, but thankfully I recalled winipcfg. Weird, huh?

Z

What I did to not have to remember the command is make a shortcut that calls it. That way I can just double-click an icon.
In response to Tom

Better yet, you could tell us our port and our IP address when we host something. =)