ID:161359

Okay guys, I skimmed through the DM Guide and that took a while. Now I am going to read the ENTIRE thing LITTLE BY LITTLE! But ummmm ... a question from me to you guys would be nice.

I may need a few tips on how to stay motivated in reading the DM Guide. I do not care how long it takes for me to read ... I just need to know how to stay motivated or not. Every single time I try going to the DM Guide, I read half a chapter and then say, "I wanna play outside".

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
~Wolfdude5

EDIT: Now I am going to read the ENTIRE thing LITTLE BY LITTLE again!
Play outside. Programming isn't for everyone.
I think it'd be most beneficial if you test-ran some of the examples in the DM Guide yourself and changed it around to see what works and what doesn't. Gaining experience is a wonderful thing.
In response to SuperAntx
Wow... Don't listen to Antx. He likes to be an ass to everyone. If you want to learn something new, go for it. But you need to find your own way of "staying motivated". Not every method works for everyone. If testing some of the things you read/learn will keep you motivated, by all means...
In response to ShadowPrince2008
He's not the nicest person around, but he's right. If someone is getting distracted half-way through a chapter with thoughts of wanting to do something else, they should probably stop. Programming on BYOND requires dedication. A lot more than what seems to have been expressed in the original post.

There's no real trick to keeping yourself motivated. The want to make a game should be motivation in and of itself.
Well, personally I like to listen to music while I do this stuff. whenever I feel like doing something else--usually an hour or two into whatever it is I'm doing, I get a couple of new songs, and while working learn their lyrics. I know the lyrics to about 200 songs, almost by heart.Only thing, I've been told I'm godly at multitasking, so, may not work for you.
Don't read it.

Just jump in and start writing stuff and then read parts you need when you need to figure out how to do something.

That's what I did. Reading it is like reading a dictionary.
In response to Obs
Obs wrote:
That's what I did. Reading it is like reading a dictionary.

That wouldn't be a fair analogy. A better analogy would be comparing reading the DM Reference to reading a dictionary. The DM Guide serves to teach people how to program in DM, not how to guide new programmers in making games. If you are having trouble starting to learn, I don't suggest you to give up on the DM Guide, but to find other sources of beginner tutorials. There are a bunch of them on Dream Makers, including Zilal's game tutorials.