ID:171215

for the past 2 or 3 years i have been trying to find coders to help me create a game. i know the coding, but only a tiny ammount. none that would really help me with what im needing to do.

i've mailed a few game creators but no replies. (not that i was expecting any.)

anyone got any advice for me?
2 or 3 years is enough to learn a language well enough for you to program yourself. Why didn't you just try to learn? Why don't you try to learn now?
In response to Crashed
hmm..how shall i put this... i can edit existing codes and use them. creating them on my own, im not all that good with.

aside from that, i got a c++ book from the library. but when i tried using some of the codes it had (and not alot of them could be of any use), they wouldnt work anyways.

and i was told it was c++ coding that was needed.
In response to Psychotic
Psychotic wrote:
hmm..how shall i put this... i can edit existing codes and use them. creating them on my own, im not all that good with.

aside from that, i got a c++ book from the library. but when i tried using some of the codes it had (and not alot of them could be of any use), they wouldnt work anyways.

Er, I've been "coding", (learning) for the past 3/4 months, and I'm pretty competent.

2/3 years is good enough to be a Garthor, or Lummox (maybe).

Did you try coding your C++ examples into a compiler?
Time doesn't play as big of a part ability to learn does.
In response to Crashed
hmmmmmrmm..ok. insted of asking and creating a big thread for nothing...im just going to ask this. is there a pack of pre-wrighten codes that i can edit to how i want?

heres a problem with a code i was given. when i tried to assign a sprite or a sprites state, it wouldnt do it. thats also going for when i try putting in a turf.
In response to Psychotic
Psychotic wrote:
hmmmmmrmm..ok. insted of asking and creating a big thread for nothing...im just going to ask this. is there a pack of pre-wrighten codes that i can edit to how i want?

heres a problem with a code i was given. when i tried to assign a sprite or a sprites state, it wouldnt do it. thats also going for when i try putting in a turf.

Type in the search:

"ZETA SOURCE"

You'll get everything you need for an AMAZING game.
And you don't even need to know how to code!
Kholintian Destroying Army wrote:
Type in the search:

"ZETA SOURCE"

You'll get everything you need for an AMAZING game.
And you don't even need to know how to code!

You need to stop acting as if you're the best on Byond all of a sudden. Quit flaming everyone for no reason.
In response to Kagayaku Kami
_> uhhh....well, he is helping more than your post did. o_o;;

but anyways..im not really wanting the game to be another crappy washed out dbz game. are there codes for automated moving characters?
In response to Psychotic
Psychotic wrote:
_> uhhh....well, he is helping more than your post did. o_o;;

but anyways..im not really wanting the game to be another crappy washed out dbz game. are there codes for automated moving characters?

Characters move when you press the buttons, on purpose.

use
Client
NORTH()
blah blah do this

to override movements.

NORTH()
SOUTH()
WEST()
EAST()

It might be wrong, but look it up.
no no. i mean NPC movements. sorry, i should have said that befor.
In response to Psychotic
Psychotic wrote:
no no. i mean NPC movements. sorry, i should have said that befor.

Um, type it in on the developer's section search.

"NPC movement"
"NPC movement demo"

Anything. Should be in there.
on seccond thought...im just going to steal codes from a tutorial. i mean use.....3 years it took me to just decide to use that..sheesh.. but coders will still be needed though. =\
In response to Psychotic
what is the code to change maps when you make a character move to a certain area?

the tutorial doesnt have one.
In response to Psychotic
In response to Jon88
ok...i need a code that allows me to create a small area on the map that places my character into a different map. like a smaller map or larger map.as if walking the character through a door or the opening of a cave.

that a better question for you??
In response to Psychotic
byond 101,
There are several ways of doing a common teleport, which is basically, what you appear to be asking for...I think.

area/bankexit//the name of our area
Entered(mob/M)
if(usr.alltel == 10)//is it a mob that entered?
M.loc=locate(41,16,1)//M's loc equals the x,y,z co-ordinates

Another way of doing this would be to replace the line after Entered(mob/M) with

usr.Move(locate(41,16,1))

or if you wish to teleport to a specific atom on the map

usr.Move(locate(/turf/Home)) //replace /turf/Home with whatever you choose

Hope that helps!

In response to Rockinawsome
Why do people use the args in Enter() (or in this case Entered() ) and then decide to use somthing totally different?

Enter(mob/M)
if(ismob(M))
if(M.blabla)
M.loc=locate(x,y,z)

In Enter or Entered there is always the chance of usr being somthing totally different, depending on how your game works. An example is if you were able to push other mobs and force them to move. The one that clicked the verb would in this case most likely be usr.