ID:182256

Ok, so I don't know if u care about this but I gotta put this here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kauhajoki_shooting_incident

So today at 11.00 AM GMT+2 (I think) Finnish 22 year old man went to his school in Kauhajoki, Finland. He started shooting people (he shot 11 (including himself) people), then he started a fire and shooted himself. He died few hours ago. This is 2nd school shootin in Finland for a year.
He gave a fair warning on YouTube.
In response to SuperAntx
Yea, and he was taken to police station and talked to but he's gun wasnt taken away...
In response to Syntty
The police in Finland sure are smart.
In response to Jeff8500
I know... But they had no evidence to get his gun away from him :/
In response to Syntty
A threat is a pretty damned good reason.
In response to Popisfizzy
" I'm going to shoot people!!! But you can't take my gun, you have no proof"
In response to CplxShadow
It was and on other way wasn't and threat. Atleast not direct to a single person.
In response to Syntty
So I can tell the police (and the public in general) that I'm going to shoot people and I still won't have my gun license revoked?
In response to Jeff8500
Firing a gun at a camera and saying "you're next" into it, isn't really a direct threat to anyone. For all the cops knew, the guy was making a home movie or just fooling around in his back yard. People here shoot things like lawnmowers and old appliances all the time for fun. From what I can tell, the cops did the right thing. Taking his guns would most likely have violated his rights, and while you may think that's just fine in this situation, it would have been illegal. There was no indication as far as the police could tell, that he posed a threat, and I agree. The fact that he later went out and shot a bunch of people doesn't show the system is flawed, it shows this man is flawed. Reasonable people don't go on a shooting spree.
In response to Syntty
Syntty wrote:
It was and on other way wasn't and threat. Atleast not direct to a single person.

What the HECK does that even mean?
In response to Xooxer
So wait, let me get this straight. A 13/14 year old can leave a cryptic message in a bathroom about a school shooting during lunch the next day*, and get arrested, but a 20+ year old that possesses fire arms can get away with virtually the same thing.

*This actually happened near me.

EDIT: Did I mention that said 13/14 year old was goofing around, by the way?
In response to Jeff8500
It's not the same thing. It never said he threatened to shoot people in the videos, only that he was firing a pistol and said "you're next". If it was meant to scare anyone, it failed. A kid, leaving a message about kids shooting kids at school on the bathroom wall of his own school is direct threat. There's no law against owning a gun and being a moron.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
So wait, let me get this straight. A 13/14 year old can leave a cryptic message in a bathroom about a school shooting during lunch the next day*, and get arrested, but a 20+ year old that possesses fire arms can get away with virtually the same thing.

*This actually happened near me.

EDIT: Did I mention that said 13/14 year old was goofing around, by the way?

Unless you live in Finland or your laws are the same as theirs (or at least very similar), it isn't the same thing. Time, location and law are all factors you must take into account.

As much as this is a tragedy, Xooxer is correct.
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
... There's no law against owning a gun and being a moron.

I've never quite understood why on this one.

All kidding aside this is probably a case of a person with mental problems that couldn't handle the tough life of school. That crap can be very complicated(not just when it comes to learning, but socially as well).