ID:185564

I currently am setting up a server and I was wondering if these specs were decent.

P3 1Ghz x2
672 Mb SDram
(I upgraded to 1,152 megs of ram. Scrapped a P2 400 mhz system and a P3 450 mhz system)
4x 10 gb HD
2x 20 gb HD
1x 25 gb HD
1x 30 gb HD
Ati All-In-Wonder 9000 Radeon + TV-Tuner
Ati Radeon 9000 PCI
3x 3Com 3C905B-TX 10/100BaseT Nic Cards
2x TrendNet 10/100 BaseT Nic Cards
1x RealTek 10/100/1000 BaseT Nic Card
Sound Blaster Audigy Z2
What are your up and down stream specs for your broadband connections?

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
6 Megabit UP
8 Megabit Down.
In response to Ryukishen
holy <font color=green>[stuff]</font> :P
if only we got that type of stuff in aus.
our 1337 connections are 1.5mb dwn/ 256kb up

That system is plenty good :)

...? say what? no swearing! holy 'stuff'!!
In response to Cold santa
if this is for a BYOND server, that should do nicely, though a bit over powered - heck those machines you scrapped would work as servers too.

and you can chuck the graphics card. servers don't need fancy graphics to do their jobs (unless you are doing high-end graphics rendering, which would make it useless to host anything else at the same time anyway).
In response to Ryukishen
Holy poopoosnacks 0_0 You could host a BYOND game for sure! Why stop there, though, set up a private Ragnarok server or Ultima Online shard =P

~Kujila
In response to digitalmouse
:-P thanks for the input guys. MUAHAAHAH *pokes ColdSanta*. Anyways, Digitalmouse I was wondering if you could help me with Linux. I've been trying to set up Apache Xampp (for web hosting too) as well onto the server machine. Oh and..I made a mistake on my vid card. The All-In-Wonder radeon is an All-In-Wonder Radeon 9000 PRO.

Oh and. I got another system I salvaged from school. It's an old Silicon Graphics system actually.

P2 500mhz x2
384 mb SDram
2x 10 gb Scsi hd
1x 20 gb Scsi hd
and god knows what it has onboard but it has almost everything onboard except a 56K modem. Lmfao. (Ethernet, Sound, Tv-Tuner I believe, Video card, Sound is like..2 columns of Red Yellow White..)
In response to Ryukishen
lol :P
I wasnt aware that p2's went higher than 450 :P
Since he has dual P2's, maybe it's an old server or something

~Kujila
ehh... those aren't very good graphics cards... to me they're probably medium-low end graphics cards...

but anyways, that should be more than enough for stuff like BYOND...
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
Servers don't need gaming graphics cards.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
Servers don't need gaming graphics cards.

Non-windows servers don't even need graphics cards at all once they're set-up. :)
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
Non-windows servers don't even need graphics cards at all once they're set-up. :)

neither do windows-based servers, really. have it use a dummy default vga driver for an onboard card, or run a headless server (designed to be logged into and worked on remotely).
In response to digitalmouse
MMMM. Headless chickens running around. Anyways Anux Saber why the hell would I even need a high end graphics card anyways? It's a server. My gaming machine uses and ATI X800 XT Platinum which pwns almost everything people are using right now i'm sure. Anyways, digitalmouse.. Help em with setting this thing up please?