ID:186359

I have always been a fan of Fallout, and I ordered, completely by chance Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

I was totally surprised by the game when I opened it up, it was just like Fallout in many senses, except it was better, and to think, I got this for $1.50 unopened on amazaon!

If you get the chance, play this game, dammit!
Awesome game, but better then Fallout? IMHO, close but not quite.

It's a great game, and I was very sad when I beat. =( I had it for a long time, and never really played it until just about a month ago.

One thing I like about this game, which Fallout also has, is the humor in it. My second character was a half ogre with like 4 intelligence. It was great fun in conversations. Eventually I got tired of that and increased my intelligence.

By the end of that game my half ogre could take on pretty much anything. Got too easy. =)

The game had a nice story, and even got me a bit paranoid. Damn the Hand!

The gameplay was nice, but it seemed like some mandatory spots would be too hard with a weaker character. I could barely get through a few places with my half ogre. Although I guess other characters might be able to get by through a different way then just smashing.

I also highly suggest this game to any RPG fans. It lasts awhile, and is really enjoyable.
In response to Artekia
I dunno, Ive been playing it for a few hours now, and I think its pretty opened ended how you progress in the game.

Of course, there is going to be SOME force in the game, to move it along, so it eventually ends, but even Fallout had a bit.
I have that game. IT IS AWESOME. too bad i cant find the disc. all i remember is that big green ogre. i liked it it was a good game. but i still had the install disc (my dad hid the game disc) ive been searching for that disc for a few years now :P
I used to take sick days to play that game, twas great, i always loved finding ingenius ways to steal stuff from people. It was a great game for its time.
I have heard many people talk about Fallout. What is this game about and what console is it for? Also, what console is Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura played on?
In response to GokuDBZ3128
Fallout is for pc.
In response to Scoobert
Fallout 1 and 2 [The only ones which stay really true to the series, which are even worth playing]...

Were developed for the PC on a PC-Cdrom Windows Format.

It takes place years after like the 3rd world war, after a nuclear fallout. People lived underground in shelters known as vaults.

In the first game, you need to leave your vault, to look for a "water chip" because your's is going bad, and the entire vault is at risk of death in like 300 days.

When you leave the vault, the world is a devestated place, but some how life has managed to go on. There are a few towns around the area in question you can travel, and a number of Abandoned destoreyd Vaults.

Its a world were you have to fight every day just to survive, where the money is bottle caps, and someone would kill a child for their next meal.

As far as the game goes, it is close to 100% open ended, you could walk stright to the final boss if you wanted to, of course your skills wouldnt be high enough to get to him...

You can do just about anything, from robbing the old, to shooting kids in the face with a shot gun. [Because you can aim at body parts!]

In the end, you find a water chip, and you save the world from a evil Mutant that wants to convert everyoen to a "Mutie" but when you return home, they send you away, fearing that your heroics will cause other people to want to leave the vault.

In the second Fallout, you are the descendant of the first player from the first game. It turns out from the first game, the guy managed to make a tribe and live out the rest of his days pretty well. But once again, your home is in danager, and you need to collect a "Garaden of Eden Creation Kit" so you can rebuild your homeland.

Once again it takes you to new places and new lands you have never met before, and once again, as you progress through the game, there is a much bigger plot at hand.

Can't wait until Fallout 3..
In response to Shades
Woah, is it in an FPS?
In response to Ol' Yeller
Nope, Isometric view.
In response to Scoobert
Ahhh, I'll have to play it sooner or later.
Lol, speaking of that, I just got Arcanum like 2 days ago. Pretty awesome Rpg. Pretty good storyline. I like the way that you can choose your background. Ex. Raised by elves, Snake Handler,Son of a hero. Great game.
In response to Ol' Yeller
Ol' Yeller wrote:
Woah, is it in an FPS?

It is in a isometric view much like Diablo and Daiblo 2, except it uses a turned based, turn point system, much like Xcom UFO defense for Dailbo 1 and 2.
I was totally surprised by the game when I opened it up, it was just like Fallout in many senses, except it was better, and to think, I got this for $1.50 unopened on amazaon!

Yeah it was made by some of the same people that did Fallout. When black isle went under some of the people from there started up Troika. Unfortunantly due to the crappy nature of the games industry at the moment Troika just recently went under so there will be no Arcanum 2 :P.

It seems publishers want to fund game genres which have already proven successful and that have a short development cycles. Which explains all the many many clones once something popular comes out. So aside from the various companies like Blizzard which publish their own stuff most developers are at the strangle hold of those who have all the money and if you don't want to develop what they want you to you're pretty much screwed regardless of past proven success.
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
It seems publishers want to fund game genres which have already proven successful and that have a short development cycles. Which explains all the many many clones once something popular comes out. So aside from the various companies like Blizzard which publish their own stuff most developers are at the strangle hold of those who have all the money and if you don't want to develop what they want you to you're pretty much screwed regardless of past proven success.

Agreed. In short: The game industry sucks. =P

Personally, I think independent games publishing is where it's at, in terms of good non-cloned games. There are dozens of cool little free or cheap independent games that use old technology and a shoestring budget, but are better than commercial games. Case in point: The freeware Japanese side-scroller Doukutsu Monogatari (translated as "Cave Story", but I think the original name is cooler), which takes some inspiration from Metroid and is probably the best game I've played in years. The story is good, the gameplay is great and the music is TEH AWESOME. (Despite using bad quality samples for the most part - it seems to be in a MOD-like format. The composition is so good that you can ignore the crackling effects.)

Okay, so there are lots of crap independent games out there too, but that's beside the point. =)

Unfortunately, publishing your own games definitely isn't the easiest way to make a living in the software industry.

I haven't played Fallout or Arcanum, but they're on my mental to-play list. I have played Fallout Tactics, which I thought was crap (tactics? instadeath puzzles more like), but I hear the "real" Fallout games are much different.
In response to Crispy
Yeah, FOT is nowhere near as good as Fallout 1 or 2. I didn't think it was a bad game, necessarily, but it certainly wasn't that good.

The only thing that FOT has that the others don't is the multiplayer, and that's not that great either.
In response to Artekia
Actully I am pretty sure in Fallout Tatics, you can also use more then just a car, cant you use other vechiales or something?

I dunno, I own Fallout 1, 2 and tatics, but my friend burrowed 1 and Tatics, and moved, and i never got a chance to TRY taticts/
In response to Shades
Vehicles? I don't remember vehicles... maybe I got bored too early. =)

From what I remember, it was a case of carefully scanning the map looking for enemies, and using guesswork and trial and error to find out which places you could and couldn't go.
In response to Crispy
Places you could and couln't go? The game seemed pretty straight forward to me. You just kept getting the next mission from your leader.

And I can remember a car and a tank-like vechicle.
In response to Artekia
I meant within the missions. At least in the missions I played, there only appeared to be one path you could follow to complete the mission without dying; in other words, each mission was completely linear. This can be okay if it's clear where to go; unfortunately it usually wasn't, and going the wrong way would get you killed. Reload, try another direction. Oops, wrong direction. Okay, reload, try again...

Superficially, at least, there was more to the gameplay than that; but that was what it boiled down to.

I remember there being vehicles as scenery, but I don't think I ever used them much. Hmm. It was a long time ago, so I may have.
Page: 1 2 3