ID:186757

Okay, I was fixing up a spare computer and un-plugged three cords. Now, I forgot which goes in which spot (HD is one,CD rom is another and last but not least the floppy.).
IBM APTIVA is the motherboard, Does anyone know any tech forums where they might be able to fix my problem? I've been googling for three hours now.

~>Jiskuha
Did you unplug the cords from the drive end, the motherboard end, or both? Also, are you using flat ribbon cables, or the new rounded SATA cables (which are only available on newer computers)? For the rest of this post, I'll assume that you have the old-style ribbon cables.

The floppy drive has its own cable. You should be able to tell it apart fairly easily; the cable looks different from the other IDE cables, and it plugs into a specific slot on the motherboard. On my motherboard the floppy's slot is a different colour and has a larger gap between it and the IDE slots.

Hard drives and CD-ROMs are all IDE devices, so there's no specific part of the cord they have to plug into. Check the jumper settings on the drives (see the drives' manuals for more info; remember you can sometimes Google for PDF manuals if you don't have paper copies, depending on the manufacturer) to see what they're set to (Master, Slave, whatever). Then attach the cables accordingly (see http://kimihia.org.nz/articles/hdcables/ or Google for "IDE cable").
In response to Crispy
I wonder why we have a "Computers & Technology" forum now...It definitely wasn't intended to be used. :P
In response to Zaole
Yeah, I posted in the wrong section. I unplugged them from the motherboard section. The thing is it is not slots. Its pins with 2 sides and the cables go on either section of the pins.

|||||||||||| - One side where a connector goes
|||||||||||| - Another side

There is about 3 of those(Pairs). That's why I'm stuck. >_> Its an older motherboard and I'm not familiar with it! It is not even what that link shows, That is how old it is(90-95?)

:(

~>Jiskuha
In response to Jiskuha
So call the Geek Sqaud....
In response to Jiskuha
In that case it shouldn't matter. As long as it's not restricting you to a certain way of putting them on it really shouldn't matter. If anything it won't detect the drives, simply turn it around and try again if that's the case.
In response to Nadrew
It tells me to insert the boot diskette when it does not have any drives attached, Thats the problem. How can I put in a disk without the right connection? Exactly, I'm screwed. =(

~>Jiskuha
In response to Jiskuha
That's a common error when the floppy is plugged in incorrectly. When your dealing with any motherboards there is a rule of thumb(although not always, depending on the manufacturer). One of the plugins that your talking about is for your floppy drive, one is for your hard drive, one is for your CD-ROM drives.

Usually the blue IDE port on the motherboard has a higher throughput and that is the one your hard drive should be connected to. The other is the slower one for your CD-ROMs. The third is for your floppy, and it should be labeled. If you have two CD-Roms make sure they are setup for the configuration you have. If one is the primary, make sure it is set as primary and on the primary(master) plug of the IDE cable. If the other is secondary, make sure it is set as secondary and on the secondary(slave) part of the cable.

If your HD is a SATA HD plug it into the primary SATA port and I would plug the CD-ROMs into the IDE port on the motherboard with the higher throughput.