ID:189002

First of all;

1 . Does anybody know how in the world to enable, third party or otherwise, internet connection sharing for Windows 98 (NOT Second Edition!)?

I would kiss your feet if so! :) ,... you see, I've gotten my Windows XP to share its connection with my old computer, but not vice-versa. I don't want to leave both PCs on if I can keep one (Windows 98) hosting something (Not BYOND specific) and one carousing the web.

2 . Does RedHat 9 include some-sort of "Let's all be happy and network with Windows!" option?

3 . If so, can RedHat share an internet connection?

And the biggie,

Do you think it's "ok" and "safe" to leave a PC on for massive extended periods of time? As in, "prossy bursts into flames" type stuff,... that's why I'm trying to host on my old PC and not my good one! But, if you all feel it's safe, I may host from my new.,...

Please help me! Thanks,

~Kujila
I haven't turned my computer off in the last 2 weeks, and it has been online for a large amount of that period as well. I haven't noticed any problems at all. I reckon it's safe, but it could be different with every computer.

~Ease~
In response to Ease
Another thing though, when I am playing a game that's really working my processor, I notce (on my heat gauge) its temperature skyrocketing,...

If I leave my PC on, and it is STUCK on that temp because its working so hard hosting, I'm terrified my processor will burn up!

<font color=green face=verdana,arial size=+1>~Kujila</font>
In response to Kujila
If the processor you have is an Intel Pentium 3 or 4 you shouldn't have anything to worry about. The Pentium 3 is supposed to shut down if it starts getting too hot(causing a system crash, unfortunately). The Pentium 4 throttles down to a lower speed whenever the temperature starts to rise.
Some AMDs are supposed to have similar features, but they aren't nearly as reliable as Pentiums in that regard.
You could probably get a third party program to share an internet connection from a windows 98 computer. RedHat does not include some "Let's all be happy and network with Windows!" option. All versions of Linux can, however, be configured for IP Masquerading, which can share an internet connection, and even act as a firewall for the rest of the network. http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/backend/unix/
Leaving any computer running all the time, you'll have to make sure that it's secure and can't get attacked. Running windows 24/7 is usually a bad idea since it tends to get slower, and slower, and use up more and more RAM all the time.
In response to Jon88
Hm...If you wanted, you can put a partition in your harddrive, which allows you to have linux and windows98 on it at the same time...that could possibly work to your advantage...
In response to FenrirXIII
Well, for my old PC, that's what I'm planning on doing, it's just,...

I've run out of CDRs, so I have to borrow some before installing! :-D

<font color=green size=+1 face=verdana,arial>~Kujila</font>
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
...The Pentium 4 throttles down to a lower speed whenever the temperature starts to rise...

Wow, nice,.. 0.0 All right, that's good enough for me! ^_^

In response to Kujila
Here's a link to an article at tomshardware.com where they removed the heatsinks from a few processors and looked at what happens. http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/index.html
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
Here's a link to an article at tomshardware.com where they removed the heatsinks from a few processors and looked at what happens. http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/index.html

Those poor, poor AMD processors! :-D

~Kujila
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
You could probably get a third party program to share an internet connection from a windows 98 computer. RedHat does not include some "Let's all be happy and network with Windows!" option. All versions of Linux can, however, be configured for IP Masquerading, which can share an internet connection, and even act as a firewall for the rest of the network. http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/backend/unix/
Leaving any computer running all the time, you'll have to make sure that it's secure and can't get attacked. Running windows 24/7 is usually a bad idea since it tends to get slower, and slower, and use up more and more RAM all the time.

Nice. No wonder I've heard so much good stuff about Linux, huh? ^_^

OK NOW! First off, when installing Linux (RedHat 9), will it automaticly create a disk partition, and if so, does it delete everything from my harddrive? (PLEASE NOOOOOO!)

Thanks

~Kujila
All right, assuming you've hosted something before, BYOND or otherwise, with a version of Windows and also with a version of Linux, which do you prefer?

I've personally always heard Linux is overall a better, more reliable host.

- I don't want to spend time hunting down some method of Internet Connection Sharing for Windows 98 (Not SE) if I'm just going to use Linux anyways.

<font color=green size=+1 face=verdana,arial>~Kujila</font>
In response to Kujila
Linux is less likily to crash, so it makes for a more reliable hosting machine.
In response to Kujila
*cough* Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing SUCKS *cough*

I highly recommend getting a router (with port forwarding capabilities, so you can host from behind it). I screwed around with ICS for months before finally buying a router. The router only cost me around $100 Australian; a much more worthwhile expense than the hours I spent trying to whip ICS into shape to make it work consistently. (It would work for a while, then fail, then I'd fix it for a bit, then it would fail again... repeat ad nauseum.)

Seriously, ICS is more trouble that it's worth... with Microsoft's implementation, at least...
Kujila wrote:
2 . Does RedHat 9 include some-sort of "Let's all be happy and network with Windows!" option?

3 . If so, can RedHat share an internet connection?

for Linux, Samba is the software that allows Linux, Mac, and Windows machines to play nice together in a network (sharing files for example). most modern distros of Linux include Samba...

also, most modern linux distros can share their connection with other computers with no problem... there are a variety of tutorials on the net to help out... just hunt for "linux internet sharing".. you can also try this link:

http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Networks/ Easy_Internet_Sharing.html
In response to Kujila
It won't do that exactly "automatically". I don't think so anyways. Other versions of RedHat give you a few options. Autopartition(RedHat chooses all the partition settings), fdisk(Evil and hard to use), and Disk Druid. Disk Druid is a nice graphical interface for setting up and deleting partitions. Unfortunately I don't think it can resize partitions without erasing the data inside. You could always hope that your computer shipped with a few gigabytes of unpartitioned space on the hard drive.
In response to Jon88
Ah, no, adly my PC was custom built so the disk drive doesn't have any "extra" space,...

Ah, well... ^_^

~Kujila
Assuming then I host from my good computer, I would want to have good protection. I have access to Norton Internet Security 2002 and McAfee Virus Scan 6.0,...

Would either of these provide sufficient protection against a potential attack?

Thanks!

In response to Kujila
You can either back up everything on your old drive and then put it back on, or use a non-destructive partitioning tool. PartitionMagic is good, but you have to pay for it.