ID:189141

Hullo, I’ve got just a wee question for you guys. I have just registered a domain name, with domain re-direction included. Yet, apparently my www.com isn’t working, as it still shows up as a non-existing page. Is there some sort of waiting period before a domain starts to work?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance! :)

Thanks a bunch!

~Kujila
Kujila wrote:
Hullo, I’ve got just a wee question for you guys. I have just registered a domain name, with domain re-direction included. Yet, apparently my www.com isn’t working, as it still shows up as a non-existing page. Is there some sort of waiting period before a domain starts to work?

When you update a domain's hosting information, it can take a day or two for the new information to propagate over the Internet. The information about every domain's location is stored in a few master lists, and other machines need to synchronize their lists with the master lists. Or at least I think that's how it works...
In response to Gughunter
Thank you.

~Kujila
Help! The domain now is functional, but the fowarding simply re-directs the user, leaving a huge and 'crappy' looking URL in sight.

Is there an external way to enable URL cloaking?

Please help! :| Thanks,...

~Kujila
Sorry for asking all these newbie questions, but I'm lost! :-o

When a domain name service offers "transferring domain name" to their company from another, does that cost anything, or is it free?

Ack! Thanks again!

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Well, it's not exactly URL "cloaking". What you'd need to do is have your domain name always point at a static ip address. That address would be whatever you're hosting.

Whatever you're getting your stuff hosted by may also need to support it.
In response to Jon88
Ok, now I'm lost.

I purchased a domain name as a re-direction tool like, say, cjb.net (IE, http://www.namehere.cjb.net/ would stay namehere.cjb.net when navigated to).

Hmm? :-/

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Well, redirection is just that; redirection. If you want URL cloaking, that's something different. Talk to whoever's doing your redirection. They might charge more, though.
In response to Kujila
I purchased a domain name as a re-direction tool like, say, cjb.net (IE, http://www.namehere.cjb.net/ would stay namehere.cjb.net when navigated to).

Here's what's happening. When you bought namehere.cjb.net, it wasn't quite the same thing as buying a domain name. cjb.net is a private company, and cjb.net is their domain name. Thus, they have control over how any subdomain names are resolved.

Now, if cjb.net offers website hosting services and you built a site at the space allocated for namehere.cjb.net, then the URL would stay that way when people visit. If you use namehere.cjb.net for redirection to another server, then the URL in the address bar is bound to change after the redirection has taken place. While it's not pretty, it does at least allow people to reach your site through namehere.cjb.net.

It's much the same with BYOND.com. "developer.byond.com" and "games.byond.com" point to two different websites, because Dantom owns the byond.com domain name, and Dantom controls where the subdomains point to. If you want to buy a domain name that will be completely under your control, like namehere.net or namehere.com, you have to go through a domain registrar.

AirMapster and Deadron seem to have had good luck with a company called EasyDNS.com, and I've had pretty good luck with Network Solutions. (It used to be a giant pain to get Network Solutions to make changes, but now they've improved immensely. Oddly enough, the improvement came not long after they started to get competitors like EasyDNS...)
In response to Gughunter
Nonono,... I didn't buy a cjb.net address, I was simply using cjb.net as an example, as I knew they offered domain-cloaking. I've purchased a dotcom from Hostway.com (7 bucks) and I sent them an e-mail:

Dear Hostway,

I recently purchased kujila.com with your service and enabled domain
fowarding. When it re-directs it to the other page, it leaves a very
unsightly URL as there was before. Is there a way to enable
domain-cloaking, and if not, is there any services that do?

Thank you for your time,

~[my name]

They promptly replied with:

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not provide any domain cloaking services. You may wish to contact your hosting provider to see if they allow any domain aliasing features. This will have to be handled by your host.

If you have any other questions, please contact us again.

Thank you.

As suggested, I've e-mailed my host provider (1asphost) regarding Domain-Aliasing....

*Sigh*

~Kujila
In response to Crispy
I saw some other hosts providing that, but mine apparantly does not.

Is there a way to transfer my current Domain from one company to a different one that supports cloaking? And would there be any additional charges for the said transfer?

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
It depends on your provider. Some will let you transfer the domain name, and some won't. Most will probably charge an extra fee.

In your case, their site doesn't provide much information. You might have to email them about it.