ID:189642

I have the game Soulance, a RPG. I want to make it for the people who play byond. So I am asking what you like in a RPG? what way do you like a spell system works, attacking system, monster system, or any thing you can think up that you like in a byond RPG. I'm hoping though the discussion here, I can add greatness to my game.

Rifthaven
i suggest you read all there is to the archaean website.. just add the www. and .com and you have it right there. read all the information there... thats what true roleplayers want.
The ability to create items and sell things to other people by setting up small shops. I wouldn't mind seeing an RPG that has a major focus on merchants to create an economy instead of everyone buying from NPCs.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
A story!

I'm so sick of seeing RPGs that have a setting, but absolutely no story.

I also like the create your own items idea (make the look by choosing from an HTML page full of pictures of them, then make the name, then you can upgrade it.). Maybe even an option to import a .dmi file for your weappn, along with everything else.
In response to Kunark
You would have to put limits on everything for balance' sake. You would also have to have it calculate a base price, and then let the user modify it within a certain range from that base(maybe range depending on how much the item costs, the more it costs the greater the range).
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
I'm so sick of seeing RPGs that have a setting, but absolutely no story.

How would you propose a story work in an online RPG?
In response to Foomer
It doesn't matter to me if the story is good or well put in there, just the fact that it has some story would make me happy.

It doesn't need to be a strait forward story, just a story of some sorts instead of the entire story being, "Get strong with a months worth of experience to save Princess Gobino, and defeat the evil Jojobean!" That can be good, though, not if it just says it in their hub contents and in some instruction booklet, then it is just a setting... Make it unfold in the game!
In response to Kunark
I am working on a story for the game plus LOTS of mini-quest and side stories aswell. I like the idea of picking your own weapon icon, though Im not sure how to get the html page and set it to a variable so the icon can be set. With the being able to import a .dmi, could that import a virus?
In response to Rifthaven
I don't think it can as long as it is:

input() as icon

Though I don't know if that has an ""."All Files" option.
In response to Kunark
I'm considering using a smithing (or whatever) system in Kades that allows you to create new equipment based on a prototype. So you get your smithing gear ready, select a prototype, and you get a recreation of that prototype. This, however, would only work for "generic" equipment, not special or "magical" equipment, since those are created in a way that is beyond the power of a mundane smith. After a duplicate of the item is created, its stats may be modified based on the player's skill as a smith, or by their skill in smithing that particular item. Generally, the item is then named after the player who smithed it. So a player named Nelenan Melager using a Long Sword as a prototype would create a new weapon called a "Melager Long Sword" or "Nelenan's Long Sword", with its stats modified slightly based on the player's skill in smithing, or in the player's skill in smithing Long Swords.

After that, anyone using a Melager Long Sword as a prototype would simply be recreating Long Swords, since that's the type of object that Melager Long Swords are. That system is also fun because anyone who has a reputation for smithing excellent quality long swords would have their name known, and Melager Long Swords could become high in demand, and all that good stuff.
In response to Foomer
My smithing system in Soulance works with getting a type of metal (bronze, iron, steel, ect..) and a mold (Ex: Dagger mold) put them in the forge and based off of your smithing skill, you may successfuly create the item. Then you can name it what ever you please to. Also to add magical props. find gems and smith it with the metal and mold to get the item to be magical.
In response to Foomer
That sounds really cool.

I can't wait to try the newer BYOND RPGs that will be coming out.
In response to Foomer
Just an idea for your local shop instead of selling piles of differnt items, maybe they make them on the spot.
So say I walk into Nelenan Melagers sword store, I can either give him the raw materials and some money, or just a pile of money and he will make me up a Long Sword.
Then the name and quality of the blade depends on the person who made it.
Although one flaw with that system you mentioned, how would someone know it was a Melager Long Sword if Melager didnt give it to them?
In response to DarkView
Its, uhh, named Melager Long Sword, or did you miss that part?
In response to Jotdaniel
Yeah but how would a player know that. If you picked up the Stimpy mug off my desk you wouldnt go "Oh, thats Jack's Stimpy mug".
In response to DarkView
If it had the name of a player on it, you would ask around about the player, I believe its something along those lines.