In response to Ter13
Awesome stuff, Ter.

As someone who wants to become self-published some day this is pretty cool. I'd be willing to buy a copy of your book when it's finished.

Keep us updated!
As someone who wants to become self-published some day this is pretty cool.

Honestly, there's no better time to start than today. Writing is one of those things that the more you do it, the better you get at it. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you need to plan what you are doing before you do it. Planning is the death of doing.

Just get started writing. Pound out 5,000 or 10,000 words and get the skeleton of your story written. Share it with people. Get feedback. Let them tear it apart. Then get back into the story. Tear it apart. Don't rewrite it. Just take something that was undeveloped and run with it. Add a chapter or two in between elements that could be better expanded, and keep doing that until you are at 20,000 words. Keep sharing the revisions with the people you trust and like. Then go back to revision. Keep adding more until you feel like it's solid.

At 5,000 to 10,000 words a day, you'll have a novel in two weeks.

You don't have to know where you are going. Just explore where the story takes you. There's an awful lot of shit just sitting in your head and waiting to get out. Don't look outward for inspiration, look inward. You know good stories. You know how to tell good stories. You just have to get people invested in the story you want to tell. The story you want to tell is worth hearing. It's worth reading, and it's worth buying. Just get it out of your head for others to read. All you have to do is get your reader invested. That's not hard.

As for grammar, spelling, etc. It doesn't really matter while you are writing. That's for the editing phase. A good story doesn't come from good grammar and spelling. It comes from trying to share an idea with someone else. That's all. You have ideas. You have a ton of them. All of them can be good if you explore them and work at them.
In response to Ter13
This is pretty inspiring. I have a novel series I've been ITCHING to write, but been putting off for a while. I've tried to actually begin writing the meat of the story but I always stop short of actually getting anything coherent down.
The cover looks very interesting, Ter. Makes me really want to read it. I tried writing a book about 6 years ago but ended up stopping around 2,000 words. Never wrote again. I think I might just start writing again.
I used to write really gory horror/thriller short stories. I don't think I'd have the patience to finish an entire novel, though.
I got ideas for movies/tv shows that I always thought could work as a book. But I don't know where to start or the process of writing one.. But yea Ter did just give a boost of motivation xD
Yut Jello Pudding Pops wrote:
sounds like you're approaching writing the same way i make games lol

The only problem with making games like that is that programming is not much like writing. With writing, there's not a lot of ways you can go wrong unless you lose the reader. With programming there are more wrong approaches than right ones.
=/

[edit] I've actually got about 200K+ words out there on the internet. I'm not exactly a novice writer. I've been writing for years under various pseudonyms because I mostly write creepypastas and plausible horror fiction. It's best to not become well known when you do that, because if people recognize your name, it makes the story much less plausible. I just haven't bothered to publish and sell any of my work before now.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you need to plan what you are doing before you do it. Planning is the death of doing.

Doesn't happen often, but I actually kinda disagree with Ter on this one. I guess it really just depends on what you're writing, but I feel like the better you plan the story out before you get down to drafting, the less loose ends you'll end the story with, which is good.

I typically start with a three-act structure that gives a general run down of where I want my character's to start, then work backwards from their beginning character personality to make sure that character progression is ensured. I work from a broad story into a more and more detailed one until I'm satisfied.

That may just be me, but I could never stand to just write a story by just writing from start to finish.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you need to plan what you are doing before you do it. Planning is the death of doing.

Doesn't happen often, but I actually kinda disagree with Ter on this one.

Out of all of the things I have written in my entire lifetime, none of them has been planned. And few of them have been reviewed. While not reviewing them may not be the wisest of ideas, I have yet to receive any negative remarks about my writings. I feel like planning it takes a lot of time and may end up making you stray away from doing what you originally planned to do or even doing it at all. Of course, being well-knowledgeable about the topic at hand is a plus as well so you have a lot of content to write about. The last thing you need is to write about a topic that you can only in to detail so little. I guess this is where planning can come in handy. I have actually only run in to that problem once and that was 7 months ago when I had to write a 5-paged essay on something specific about sleep. I got 3 pages done and ended up having to choose a new topic because I didn't have enough detail to make it long enough.
In response to Exentriks Gaming
I love the use of color
Everything is taking shape, started the english translation this week and also worked on the player info menu :

In response to Tacurumin
Tacurumin wrote:
Everything is taking shape, started the english translation this week and also worked on the player info menu :

Keep up the great work! This has potential since BYOND has an uncanny number of soccer fans.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
As someone who wants to become self-published some day this is pretty cool.

Honestly, there's no better time to start than today. Writing is one of those things that the more you do it, the better you get at it. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you need to plan what you are doing before you do it. Planning is the death of doing.

Just get started writing. Pound out 5,000 or 10,000 words and get the skeleton of your story written. Share it with people. Get feedback. Let them tear it apart. Then get back into the story. Tear it apart. Don't rewrite it. Just take something that was undeveloped and run with it. Add a chapter or two in between elements that could be better expanded, and keep doing that until you are at 20,000 words. Keep sharing the revisions with the people you trust and like. Then go back to revision. Keep adding more until you feel like it's solid.

At 5,000 to 10,000 words a day, you'll have a novel in two weeks.

You don't have to know where you are going. Just explore where the story takes you. There's an awful lot of shit just sitting in your head and waiting to get out. Don't look outward for inspiration, look inward. You know good stories. You know how to tell good stories. You just have to get people invested in the story you want to tell. The story you want to tell is worth hearing. It's worth reading, and it's worth buying. Just get it out of your head for others to read. All you have to do is get your reader invested. That's not hard.

As for grammar, spelling, etc. It doesn't really matter while you are writing. That's for the editing phase. A good story doesn't come from good grammar and spelling. It comes from trying to share an idea with someone else. That's all. You have ideas. You have a ton of them. All of them can be good if you explore them and work at them.

this is inspiring! good job and i love it
In response to Tacurumin
You're doing great work keep it up man.
Thanks guys ! Hope to see you all on the beta !
aww, my post got deleted :(
Today i help my friend with gui.. that's results of my (unfinished) work. :D

also this i do few days ago....

Did I give you guys permission to stop posting??????

Have a cookie.

So I guess this cookie just stays warm then. XD
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
Did I give you guys permission to stop posting??????

Have a cookie.

I love it! i want a cookie
Page: 1 2 3 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 349 350 351