ID:194242

Another post gave me the idea for this.

What is your greatest strength as a BYOND coder?

Efficient coding
Game balance
Neat ideas
Graphics
Sheer volume of work
Helping others

I don't see "whining obnoxiously" on there.
Id have to say that my strength is comming up with ideas to make to interesting games. Im an ok coder for the most part too, but Im way better at comming up with ideas.
That worries me a bit... lots of folks say they're good at making ideas.

Ideas don't make a game. Something I know all too well. =P
In response to Spuzzum
On 6/30/01 1:00 pm Spuzzum wrote:

Even more disconcerting, the poll results only total 99%.
In response to Spuzzum

So we have great, but unbalanced ideas, poorly coded with lousy graphics? Hey wait a minute! That sounds like Darke Dungeon! >.<
In response to Shadowdarke
On 6/30/01 2:02 pm Shadowdarke wrote:

So we have great, but unbalanced ideas, poorly coded with lousy graphics? Hey wait a minute! That sounds like Darke Dungeon! >.<

Actshuly, my grafics aint so bad. But they aint grate eether. my code is geting MUCH better, my balance is ok, and im learning how too make music...............

(I wondered what the appeal was for jobe, so I tried it myself. Hmm, seems annoying to me still. =)
In response to Spuzzum

I had a feeling ideas was going to be the big winner. I certainly consider it my strength. Heaven knows Sheep II is a complete mess code-wise, but I think the concept of the game is great. (I also think I'm good at graphics and game balance, but you'd never know it from Sixes or Sheep III.)

I wonder if professional game programmers would show a similar distribution? I think it's very possible even old pros think they are better with ideas than they are with elegance of code.

Z
In response to Zilal
I wonder if professional game programmers would show a similar distribution? I think it's very possible even old pros think they are better with ideas than they are with elegance of code.

Well, wait a decade. If I get into the industry, I'll let you know the exact distribution. ;-)
On 6/30/01 10:07 am Zilal wrote:
Another post gave me the idea for this.

What is your greatest strength as a BYOND coder?<form method=post action="http://zilal.byond.com/poll/poll.dmb">
<input type=hidden name=title value="What is your greatest strength as a BYOND coder?">

<input type=radio name=answer value="Efficient coding"> Efficient coding

<input type=radio name=answer value="Game balance"> Game balance
<input type=radio name=answer value="Neat ideas"> Neat ideas
<input type=radio name=answer value="Graphics"> Graphics
<input type=radio name=answer value="Sheer volume"> Sheer volume of work
<input type=radio name=answer value="Helping others"> Helping others<input type=hidden name=options value="Efficient coding:Game balance:Neat ideas:Graphics:Sheer volume:Helping others:"><input type=hidden name=bgcolor value="black"><input type=hidden name=text value="#cbb3fd"><input type=hidden name=owner value="Zilal">

<input type=submit value="Vote"></form

I didn't see "My ability to warp reality to suit my will" on your list, so I put "Game Balance"

On 6/30/01 10:07 am Zilal wrote:

Right now, I seem to be really good at reading the forums. I meant to just skim a couple things and spent almost 2 hours reading all kinds of stuff. :)

Never did actually code anything.

Vaporware 1.0
coming soonish

Flick
In response to Zilal
I had a feeling ideas was going to be the big winner. I certainly consider it my strength. Heaven knows Sheep II is a complete mess code-wise, but I think the concept of the game is great. (I also think I'm good at graphics and game balance, but you'd never know it from Sixes or Sheep III.)

Speaking of which, I was playing Sheep II yesterday and it kept going back and forth between never ever ending a level and running the game routines twice simeltaneously, through a couple of logoff/logon boots.
In response to Leftley
On 6/30/01 1:49 pm Leftley wrote:

Even more disconcerting, the poll results only total 99%.

That's because it doesn't show the option "hacking others' poll results," which I figured out how to pick.
Hmm, I don't see "Making unoriginal clones of existing games" up there, which is clearly my strength. Oh well. I decided to vote for efficient coding since my games don't always use 100% of the server's CPU... ;-)
In response to Leftley
On 7/1/01 9:10 am Leftley wrote:
Speaking of which, I was playing Sheep II yesterday and it kept going back and forth between never ever ending a level and running the game routines twice simeltaneously, through a couple of logoff/logon boots.

I definitely still have to make fixes to that. I just have to find the time somehow.

Z
You should make this a multi-selectable poll.

I'm awful at coding and making stuff work, but I'm great at balance, ideas, and graphics. (In my opinion, anyway.)