ID:194280

New thread! New thread!

The headline and story games both sound great.

My main inspiration for Lexiconomy was Acrophobia... I don't know the exact address to it, but there's a link to it on my website at http://members.aol.com/zilal/gemlinks.html. The game is hugely fun. I had thought about making an acrophobia clone for BYOND but decided against it, both because of possible copyright issues and because I like being original.

But there's endless potential available for little effort in word games, games with no graphics, games where players vote. I wrote Lexiconomy in one evening, I think, and it seems to have become my most popular game.

Discuss ideas for new word games here.

Z
On 6/15/01 8:33 pm Zilal wrote:
New thread! New thread!

My main inspiration for Lexiconomy was Acrophobia... I don't know the exact address to it, but there's a link to it on my website at http://members.aol.com/zilal/gemlinks.html. The game is hugely fun. I had thought about making an acrophobia clone for BYOND but decided against it, both because of possible copyright issues and because I like being original.

But there's endless potential available for little effort in word games, games with no graphics, games where players vote. I wrote Lexiconomy in one evening, I think, and it seems to have become my most popular game.

Z

Actually, I've had some ideas for word games WITH graphics, games along the lines of Scrabble or Boggle. In fact, I had an idea for a game which I think could best be described as "Scrabble with rocket launchers", but scrapped it because I couldn't find any word lists in a usable format and didn't feel like spending hours on end going through and retyping word lists.
In response to Leftley
On 6/15/01 8:39 pm Leftley wrote:
Actually, I've had some ideas for word games WITH graphics, games along the lines of Scrabble or Boggle. In fact, I had an idea for a game which I think could best be described as "Scrabble with rocket launchers", but scrapped it because I couldn't find any word lists in a usable format and didn't feel like spending hours on end going through and retyping word lists.

Hasbro recently shut down their email games -- a great tragedy to me, since I really respected what they'd done and am basing several future games on their model. Anyway, one was email Scrabble, and I know of people quite crushed by it who would probably play any good email Scrabble game they could get their hands on...
In response to Deadron
On 6/15/01 10:41 pm Deadron wrote:
On 6/15/01 8:39 pm Leftley wrote:

Hasbro recently shut down their email games -- a great tragedy to me, since I really respected what they'd done and am basing several future games on their model. Anyway, one was email Scrabble, and I know of people quite crushed by it who would probably play any good email Scrabble game they could get their hands on...

Actually, I just say "Scrabble with rocket launchers" because it's a good catch. What I had in mind in this game would actually be a lot more akin to the Wordtris games, but with players sending in letters onto a board (a la Scrabble) rather than letters just dropping into a well of some sort.
On 6/15/01 8:33 pm Zilal wrote:
New thread! New thread!

Z

HOLY COW! STAR WARS IN ASCII!!!! THAT IS COOL! IM CRACKING IN HIS SERVER NOW TO STEAL IT FROM HIM! YAY!
In response to jobe
HOLY COW! STAR WARS IN ASCII!!!! THAT IS COOL! IM CRACKING IN HIS SERVER NOW TO STEAL IT FROM HIM! YAY!

Sorry, Jobe, but...

That is the most immature, irresponsible, and idiotic thing I have ever read!

Even if it was a joke, it was wrong to say.
In response to Spuzzum
That is the most immature, irresponsible, and idiotic thing I have ever read!

Gimme a few days and I bet I could outdo it.
In response to Spuzzum

That is the most immature, irresponsible, and idiotic thing I have ever read! :)
In response to Gughunter
On 6/16/01 9:32 pm Gughunter wrote:

That is the most immature, irresponsible, and idiotic thing I have ever read! :)

Gug, and Leftley, while you might think I'm joking, I'm not.

I am strongly disillusioned about Jobe right now.
In response to Spuzzum
On 6/16/01 9:34 pm Spuzzum wrote:

whys that?

i was just jokeing... its not like im getting government secrets or something.. man..... jeez... lighten up.. i just thought it was killer cool...
In response to jobe
On 6/16/01 9:57 pm jobe wrote:

whys that?

i was just jokeing... its not like im getting government secrets or something.. man..... jeez... lighten up.. i just thought it was killer cool...

[edit]
i was just talking about one of the links on Z's page... its asciimation.. its really cool stuff...
In response to Spuzzum

Can't speak for Gug, but I could tell pretty easily that you weren't.

Bah! If nothing he's said or done yet had disillusioned you, one would think that nothing would.
In response to Leftley
On 6/16/01 10:03 pm Leftley wrote:

Can't speak for Gug, but I could tell pretty easily that you weren't.

Bah! If nothing he's said or done yet had disillusioned you, one would think that nothing would.

HEY! what have i done?
In response to Spuzzum

I can't believe anyone would be that strongly illusioned to begin with.
In response to LexyBitch
On 6/17/01 6:25 am LexyBitch wrote:

I can't believe anyone would be that strongly illusioned to begin with.

yeah considering i go around saying "im not who you think i am" or things like "errr.....dont ask me.." oh wait that one has nothing to do with the subject... errrr....