ID:265809

I know BYOND has come out with many Fallout-esque games over the years. None of them ammounting to anything apart from ripped sources, to closed testing, and none of them going anywhere. I'd love to develop one, and would go as far as making it turn based and ripping the hub from fallout itself, however, what other features and adaptations would you guys like to see in an online version.
I'd love to play a game where I get to sit around twiddling my thumbs while a half-dozen other idiots sit around doing nothing during their turns preventing me from playing the game.
In response to Garthor
That is why you have timers.
In response to DadGun
I'd love to have to wait for the entire duration of the timer because a half-dozen other braindead players can't finish their damn turns in any reasonable amount of time.

A game where I'm literally spending less than a quarter of my time ACTUALLY PLAYING is not a good idea.
In response to Garthor
I'm interested in making downtime shorter, but there are certain genres where turns are beneficial. For instance, in a strategy game, they may provide a more deterministic environment to form plans in.

Granted, a session's duration is likely to increase with the number of turn takers. (PathWrath went from unlimited players to just 4 for this reason.) Also, there are probably ORPG elements, such as travel, that tend to do better in real-time.
In response to Garthor
I was considering removing initiative for this reason, and just making it so it went players followed by computers, make turns 10 seconds long and make it so AI takes 5 seconds. Or I could do the fast travel system they used, and randomly generate maps with their own turns system so when everyone is done they can go to the next round. The only places where people would prevent you from going at your set pace, would be if you partied up, or were fighting in a non-randomly generated encounter. Anyways, with the global locatons, it's still only 15 seconds for a full "round" in dungeons and dragons online they have a literal 5 second round, i believe with no time for thinking at all, it's all initial reaction unless you've played a dungeon before, that or read guides.

However, i'm having an issue ripping the interface, my print screen doesn't work well at all, how would i adjust my print screen settings in order to make it so i could take pictures of fallout 1?
In response to Mr.Tophat
would anyone collaborate a little on what fallout is?

i will also take a look at it later.
Fallout was a wonderful game and to be honest, I don't think you would have to use the classic turn based system on the online edition, it would simply be way too long and messy. Besides, Fallout the MMO is supposed to be in production, I don't think they will be using the turns system from Fallout 1 & 2, that would destory the game.
In response to Superbike32
You mean ellaborate? At anyrate. Fallout is a "post-apocalyptic RPG" which means a nuclear war went off. Some people survived on the surface, but not many. Those who were fortunate went underground into "vaults" which were giant self-sustaining bomb shelters. The surface holds small humanoids, and mutant pockets.

In the series for 1 you're a vault dweller and you go to the surface in search of a "water chip" to re-establish your vault's water supply. Anyways, the game is about the exploration of an utterly destroyed world filled with hazards, mutants, radiations, drugs, and raiders. The only true objective being, to survive. Prostitution, gambling, dealing, stealing amoung other things can pull in revenue so you can better equip yourself for the treacherous world.
In response to Mr.Tophat
seems interesting, although i wouldnt like a game like that.

also, i dont think simply "fallout" fits for that kind of thing, i think there should be more added to the name of it, to further describe it than more to fallout, cause some people might get the wrong idea about your game, and not come just cause of that right there.
I think it stems from the whole "Nuclear Fallout Shelter" idea, for the description i'd probably write something like, "A Post-Apocalyptic Role Playing Game".
In response to Mr.Tophat
when i think of fallout, i think of another game i used to play, in which the player doesnt want to fall off of the earth, and anotheer game in which you try and push everyone out of a circle, using repels, which push everything around it away via a shockwave blast, which emits from your ships shields...

xD
See thats your probelm Super, if you had any idea what fallout was, or didn't live under a rock most of your life, you'd know what Fallout for PC was.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_(computer_game)