In response to Hedgemistress
Hedgemistress wrote:
Installing and uninstalling on OS 10 seems to be very no fuss/no muss... near as I can tell without actually handling one, it's all drag and drop.

pretty much- certainly no need to reboot the machine nearly every time you install a program (except maybe certain system-level upgrades), which WinXP was supposed to not do but still requires it often enough. in the case of Panther, just double-click, follow the instructions, and away you go. Linux is even better at that- I've installed all my needed programs under Mandrake 9, and have not needed to reboot once! Certainly a time saver...

(shakes fist at his WindowsXP Pro machine) "Damn you Registry!"

Even got vmWare running under Linux so that I can still use the Windows BYOND DreamSeeker as well as a few of my favorite HTML editors and FTP clients in Windows.

(pats his 2.8Ghz Mandrake 9 Toshiba laptop) "Don't worry, they're just jealous!")
Here's my notables, most of which are from my parents:

A bodysource "Blu Tru Moisture Kit" (picture: http://www.kohls.com.edgesuite.net/izoom/servlet/izoom/ kohls/54824?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1), containing many nifty items, the two of which likely to be used the most are the therapeutic eye mask and the jazz CD.

Big, bath-sheety towels.

A set of six cobalt-colored wine glasses.

A Smucker's ice cream sundae kit, with four sundae dishes and six jars of flavored syrup.

A collection of Grant Morrison X-Men stories.

Highlander, seasons 2 and 3 (thank you, Kimberly!)

My favorite kind of Christmas presents are the things you wouldn't think to get for yourself... otherwise, Christmas (or other gift-giving occasions) are less like getting presents and more like having extra money to spend. With the exception of the Highlander DVDs (Kimmy doesn't like shopping for people if she doesn't know they'll like what she's getting), none of the things listed above are things I would've bought for myself, nor are they things I asked for or expected, but they're all things that I would use and enjoy using.
I'm going to count my birthday in this too because its in december and everyone mixes them together(bastards -_-).

Washburn X-10 guitar(metallic blue)/w 10 watt Ibanez amp.

Enough money to buy a bass guitar from a pawnshop(its some 5 string but I dont remember the brand, im getting it tommorow). EDIT: Its a 5 string Kona bass guitar, took awhile but I found the website, I guess they just started making guitars recently.

Enough money to buy some video games, 3 or 4 at least.

Everything together I got about 400 dollars worth of stuff for my birthday/christmas, more than half of it being the Washburn guitar, more than I usually get at the least.
Well...I am glad everyone got what they wanted (well, most people.). But, this christmas just wasn't the best of all holidays I have had this year (Or in my life, for that matter.). Reason being, isn't that I didn't get what I wanted, because I actually got nothing at all. But that, isn't why it was so bad. The reason it was so terrible, was because there is a bunch of problems going on in my family. My uncle died last week (thursday, to be exact...), for those who don't already know. My parents are both sick. My aunt was rushed to the hospital many times over life-threatening problems. My cousin is going broke. My other uncle was having problems with his girlfriend (she pulled a knife on him...). The whole of my family was either in New York, or the Dominican Republic. None of them came down/up here, or most of them left for the holiday (leaving just a few of my close relatives here.). Although some did come down for my uncle's funeral, but left just as quickly.

Basically, I could be better off. But, you can't always get what you want. So that's why I'm striving to have everything in my life nice and in order by the end of this year. And hopefully, my parents might get enough money to buy me that nice Alienware desktop computer I've been eyeing... but it's not likely. Either way, appreciate what you have, and a Merry Christmas to everyone!

-GDT
In response to Hedgemistress
Hedgemistress wrote:
A Smucker's ice cream sundae kit, with four sundae dishes and six jars of flavored syrup.

If it makes cotton candy too, and if you've seen the Simpsons, you'll know what to do...

(That episode has what I believe is the dirtiest line I've ever heard on broadcast television...)
I got a family gatherine of my two parents and myself, the first real time the three of us have done this in 15 years. That is what I got for Christmas, a present that is one of its kind, immeasurably valuable.

-Dagolar
In response to GoodDoggyTreat
You have my eyes and my ears. I give to you my blessings through prayer. That is a small gift but I can afford it. Merry Christmas, GDT.

-Dagolar
In response to digitalmouse
Macs were broke before Bill Gates bought out Mac. People complain about how they dont like windows and how they dont want to give money to Bill Gates, but if you swap to a mac, your still doing the same thing.

Windows Longhorn, the new windows has been in work for 2 years, and they plan to work on it for another 4 years, to make it the best operating system ever. Windows are the global operating system, so all you mac users get over yourself.

I mean you go buy a mac, then emualte window, I mean what are you thinking? Just buy windows for god sakes. Im pretty sure most people are using windows right now, because byond isnt well supported by macs or linux(graphical mode).
Macs suck, and i've had too many problems with them to ever get one.

Just my input.

--Mrhat99au
In response to Cryptic
Hmm...Well, I recieved $525, an electric guitar and amp, and also Monster Rancher 4....Yep, that's it..
In response to XxXSonGokouXxX
What kind of guitar?
In response to Mrhat99au
Mrhat99au wrote:
I mean you go buy a mac, then emualte window, I mean what are you thinking? Just buy windows for god sakes. Im pretty sure most people are using windows right now, because byond isnt well supported by macs or linux(graphical mode).
Macs suck, and i've had too many problems with them to ever get one.

I spend 90+% of my BYOND-related time using a PowerBook (like to post this message). For me (and several others here I believe) I only have a Windows machine because I'm a gamer and if you are a gamer not interested in console games, then Windows is the only real answer. For every single other thing I do, I do it on a Mac.
Kingdom Hearts
True Crimes: Streets of LA
Enter The Matrix
Pirates Of The Caribbean

Siientx
Well, let's see here*...

Work's gift exchange:
-$15 K-Mart gift card

My aunt (on my mother's side):
-$25 and 5 $1 lottery tickets (one of which was a $2 winner...lol)

My parents:
-A Mad Catz "MC2" racing wheel and pedals (universal, works on my PS2 and my GameCube)
-A "LaserOne" sound-activated laser light show machine (really nifty little gadget that shines a changing laser light pattern onto the ceiling or wall which moves in response to sound, like music or voices... it can also be hooked up directly via an audio input jack)
-Two pairs of Joe Boxers (one with smiley faces, and another that says "XXL: Xtra Xtra Lazy" lol)
-A Family Guy Stewie "Damn You All" shirt
-6 pack of socks (obligatory)
-"Fact or Crap" board game (good stuff, we played a round tonight)
-A Rubik's Cube (still working on it, getting closer)
-Some chocolate covered coffee beans (dark, milk, and white)
-A package of Reese's Swoops (Pringle-shaped candy... pretty neat)
-Soul Calibur II (GameCube... Gotta love Link!)

My Fiancé**:
-Kodak EasyShare Digital Camera (Model CX6230)

My Fiancé's parents:
-LotR: FotR Extended Edition DVD boxset (I was planning on waiting until all three movies were released on DVD before buying the Extended versions, in hopes of having a three-movie boxset...but I'm not going to complain about getting this one...lol)

My aunt's, uncles, and grandparents (on my father's side):
-A Day Planner
-A Christmas Ornament
-A DBZ Movie Collection Cooler figure
-A set of Mind Teaser puzzles (the metal rings and other various shapes that you have to figure out how to pull apart)
-Some books (nothing well-known, at least not that I'm aware of... just a couple of randomly chosen books that they thought might appeal to me)
-Lots of good food, and a good time

*Disclaimer: Of course, I received far greater things this Christmas than the material possessions listed above, but in the scope of this thread's topic, things like "being with family and friends" and such are not really what he was asking for...

**Yup, you read that right... I and my girlfriend of the past 7 and a half years are now engaged! No date set for the wedding, which might be a long ways off...but we've finally gotten engaged at least...lol She's been hinting at it very strongly over the past year or so, and I made a comment a few months back that it might happen before the end of the year... Well, she wasn't expecting it for Christmas (I'm a very "last minute" kind of guy, and she was expecting it to happen on the 31st, sometime during the last few seconds of the countdown...lol) but she got her wish a little earlier than expected...

And for the hopeless romantics out there who want to know how I proposed:

I actually bought the ring itself while she was right in the same mall as the jewelry store I purchased it at...lol We had gone to go shopping for each other, and had split up, so I took the opportunity to sneak it past her (I bought a stuffed bear at Hallmark to give me a "camoflage" bag to put the ring's bag into...)

Another item on her list this year happened to be a jewelry chest with necklace hooks (so they can hang up and not get tangled) so I also bought her a nice one of those, and stuck the ring inside... The thing was packaged in all kinds of layers of foam and cardboard, and was even double boxed, so that worked out nicely (more layers for her to go through)...

I told her Christmas Eve that I had a present that I wanted to give to her early... So that night, I had her close her eyes, and hold out her hands... She was, of course, expecting a small present (and perhaps even expecting it to be a ring), which surprised her when I plopped a rather large, and rather heavy present into her arms...lol

She unwrapped it, and luckily wanted to take it out of the box to see it in person (if she hadn't, I'd have probably nudged her to open it...but who knows? maybe I'd have left it in there for her to find on her own later...lol) and in doing so, she finally got to see the real present (which left her a bit stunned for a few seconds..lol) I then asked her the obligatory question (I didn't really need to, since I knew the answer before I asked it, but things like this should be done right...lol) and we're now officially engaged!

Of course there were some happy tears on her part, and then some more tears tonight when all of my relatives found out (they've all adopted her as a part of the family long prior to this, and were waiting for this almost as much as she was...lol)

So all in all, this Christmas was a good one!
In response to digitalmouse
Well sadly you don't know what your talking about. I've had an xp pro since i burned it -wink- ^^;.

The fact is, you only have to reboot after you install something that Changes, not adds, to the registry. For the security risks, i've had an OPEN server displacing my REAL ip to everyone who visited, and haven't been hacked or even attempted to be hacked once.

I'm not saying that windows is the best, its actually pretty crappy, but mac doesn't deal with games very well and me being a gamer makes it "crappier" then windows. The thing mac's really can't do is "Not Freeze". I use to get on my friends MacOSx (If thats what its called??) to look at my mail, froze, open his aol, froze, etc etc. It just doesn't have enough power for some things. Its like trying to run windows 93 with XP on it.

Back then, i had a windows 95, my friend (tony) had 98, and my other friend (landon) had a mac. Who came out on the top every time? Me, the 98's are horribly un-stable and error-filled, the mac didn't even compare to the 98, and thats sad.
In response to Karasu Kami
Windows 98 is *so* better than Windows 95. =)

That's my contribution to this topic. No, I have nothing useful to say. Yes, I will shut up now.
In response to Crispy
Not from what i remember (Then again he did have a compaq, poor bastard.)

MY 95 crashed 60% less then his 98, and the mac crashed 210% more then the 98.
In response to Deadron
Hee hee.

I know whereof you speak.

And no, it contains no cotton candy, although I do have "credible evidence" of a funnel cake kit still en route to me.
Um... if you're talking about "back then", when 95/98 was top of the line, then you are affirmatively NOT talking about a G4/G5 with OS X, which is what we're talking about. A G5 not having enough "power" (by which you mean processing power) to run a simple application? You evidently are not familiar with the G5... the thing has a heat sink the size of an average Mesoamerican civilization to keep the thing from spontaneously combusting. Yeah.

But of course, you don't care what modern Macs are like. Your stance is that because Macs sucked back then, they must suck now... okay, then Windows 3.x proves that Windows XP sucks and the fact that we were all squalling infants incapable of locomotion or bladder control proves that we all still are, right?

Furthermore, the biggest security risk for the average XP user isn't "being hacked", which requires you to have somehow attracted the attention of some hacker, but being wormed, which doesn't matter if people know your IP address since they can spread at random over any open network.

If you've got a decent firewall, that's not a huge risk... but the point is, if your OS has to have a firewall or risk being infected with a disruptive program within minutes of connecting via dialup, then that's a sign the OS has serious problems.

XP is about as uncrashable as OS X, but OS X doesn't have the security flaws. Insofar as we can't see the inner workings and raw code of the OSes, and judged on their performance they're about the same, and judged on processing power we determine it's based on hardware not OS (and trust me, G5 KILLS the competition there, look up some specs if you want to... but for sake of the argument, we'll still call processing power a tie), but we have evidence of a serious design flaw in one, and not in the other... well, if the process used to make Windows XP created one massive design flaw, why not another? Where there's smoke, there's fire, and if you see one cockroach, there's a jillion in the walls, and all that.
Karasu Kami wrote:
I'm not saying that windows is the best, its actually pretty crappy, but mac doesn't deal with games very well and me being a gamer makes it "crappier" then windows. The thing mac's really can't do is "Not Freeze".

Then you are not current on the latest G4/G5 Macs- nearly all the games for Windows are also out on Macs, and run just as well. Regarding "freeze-ups"- that was common up to MacOS 9 due to not-so-well-made memory management (especially back in the days of Mac OS 7 thru 7.5), but MacOS X inherited a Linux-type core, giving it far more stability that a Windows machine (unless it's got 2GB of RAM).

open his aol, froze...

heh, well then thats the fault of the user for using AOHell to begin with, not the OS...

It just doesn't have enough power for some things...

there are many reviews of performance out there between a G5 Mac and a similarly equipped Windows-based machine... new 64-bit desktop computer processing power vs old-school Pentiums is ownzd by the G5s at this time... nothing in the same league touches them for computing power (...yet- though I hear AMD's 64-bit processors have a shot).

So unless you have a game that does not come out for MacOS 9 or 10, that's about the only reason not to switch to a better machine... oh wait, the only *real* remaining reason that Macs might still suck, is their prices- still too much for people who just want fancy "game/surfing the web" machines... heck a Commodore 64 can do that even now! (yes there are ethernet boards and browsers for the C64)
In response to Mrhat99au
No, Microsoft and Intel and uther compinys is starting makeing "Trecherus Computeing" it meens only the peple that make it hav control over wat you ar and ar not alawed to do on yor computer. For example, if sumbudy sends you a email mesige, and you make a copy uv it, and the uther peple dont want you to hav it enymore, both the original and copy will be deleted atomaticly from yor computer.

Mi idea to stop all uv this stuf is http://zzo38computer.cjb.net/cajjuxdy.htm

And I like play game on computer is calld ADOM and works on Linux as well.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6