ID:84214

A discovery of great importance. The magnitude of this discovery is amazing, I can't honestly believe it myself, but the ultimate truth has been made known: I suck at Guitar Hero 5 (the first Guitar Hero I've ever played).

Though, I will admit, there are some nice songs I've never heard before. Demon(s) by Darkest Hour has become one of my new favourite songs. And another thing that surprised me about it is how much fun the game actually is. I didn't think it'd be very entertaining until I gave it a shot.
I've never been that good at guitar hero either. I was never able to get past medium. It seemed like there was a big jump from medium to hard, so you pretty much had to get 100% on all medium songs before you could do hard.
I have a hard enough time on Medium. =(
I have yet to actually play Guitar Hero 5 beyond the demo, which has a very weak song selection, but the sheer number of games coming out from the brand is a bit off putting given how much money I have to spend.

However I do have Rock Band 2 and have been rocking the 10-song Queen pack they just released, so that makes me happy.

Hopefully I can play GH5 over at a friends house to see how it is.
The full has like, 97 songs from various bands. I was surprised to see a band like Band of Horses on it, which gave it bonus points.

According to my brother, there's like an additional 300 or so songs you can get off the Playstation Network thing.
I couldn't even play the Aerosmith one's tutorial on easy.. Probably didn't help that it was the fourth of july and I was drunk.
I haven't actually played the game while drunk, but I get the feeling it adds to the excitement.
A late-bloomer we have here, eh?

That said, Guitar Hero and I sort of drifted apart once the Rock Band series came along. I own GH2 and GH:80's, I've only played GH3 once or twice, and I haven't played any beyond that.

Tiberath wrote:
I haven't actually played the game while drunk, but I get the feeling it adds to the excitement.

I disagree. I've tried this numerous times and all of them seemed less exciting than sober.

However, drunk Rock Band is fun---I remember playing guitar drunk with a few [usually sober] friends in my college dorm and someone online, on numerous occasions. The extra band element makes the whole drunk thing really humorous. For example, imagine drunken witty comebacks when you get "Top Performer" or when you have to save a band member: "Oh you wannnnnt the drunk-k ass tuh ssssave you, do you?"
Everything becomes fun when you can see two of it! ;)
Because I'm fantastic, I'm making this comment on my PS3.

The only problems I've noticed with the website is the menu bar up the top is incredibly broken.

Aw man, are web designers now going to have to take into account the various consoles as well!? I only just able to cope with browsers available on the PC!
Tib: Drunken GH can be fun with friends you trust not to be asses when you start to suck. If you are with people who will be dicks if you flunk out of a song, don't bother.

A little alcohol can help, as it kinda makes you worry less about the notes coming. A lot of alcohol turns the buttons into some sort of gel filled slider and the strum bar seems to become super loose.
My brother actually plays guitar. He can't play guitar hero to save his life. I also play drums. I can't play drums on rock band to save my life. I think there's something to that.
I'm very good at GH and i can play songs at medium and a few at hard.
You'll get used to playing and medium will get pretty easy (you don't have to move your hand, so its just a matter of your fingers learning the colours). However if you're having trouble getting past medium, switch to bass and play hard or expert. Bass is usually simpler but it gets you used to playing faster and using all five buttons.
Its also more fun to play. The simpler song structure means you can play on the skill level you're used to without actually learning the song.

Also, if you're having trouble reading tight clusters of notes look up the 'cheat' for hyper-space mode (its not really a cheat, its just on the cheat menu). The notes come faster but they're spaced further apart, so the timing is still exactly the same. It just makes it a lot easier to read something like a quick R, GY, R, G, Y.

One last recommendation, go to JB Hi-Fi or where ever you buy games and look for the Guitar Hero rechargeable battery pack. Should cost about $19. Its a little battery shaped to fit in the space of two AA batteries and it comes with a USB charger. I don't know what made me give it a try but I've found it to be really useful.
I've got rechargeable AA batteries, but its a pain in the butt keeping track of them. With this I just throw it in the charging dock next to my 360 and wait for the light to turn green.
The only downside is that you can't play and charge, but I'm thinking of figuring out a mod for that.

Fugsnarf wrote:
I also play drums. I can't play drums on rock band to save my life.

Cram the difficulty up to either max or one below max on drums. Then the notes and timing will actually start to make sense (especially using a Guitar Hero Drum Kit). Downside is you actually have to learn the songs a little.
Guitar on the other hand just doesn't convert. That said I know a lot of guitarists who prefer to play Guitar Hero for fun after they get good at it. The different skill set is just a nice change of pace.
I'd recommend skipping Medium difficulty altogether. If you start off on Hard (or play it henceforth), you'll more quickly adapt to the initial notes and the ones that you have to reach/slide for.

I didn't notice too much of a difference in going from Hard to Expert; I could still play most songs to above a 90% on Expert, with the exception of the occasional difficult song that might stretch it.
Kuraudo wrote:
If you start off on Hard (or play it henceforth), you'll more quickly adapt to the initial notes and the ones that you have to reach/slide for.

In theory its a good plan, but the fail-out speed usually stops people from learning anything at all. I don't know the GH5 track list well enough to recommend anything, but if you go that route try and track down a dozen or so songs with slow/simple intros.
I find it much easier to relax and learn if I can get through the intro before I hit the wall. It pads out the loop enough to dull the frustration a little.
DarkView wrote:
In theory its a good plan, but the fail-out speed usually stops people from learning anything at all. I don't know the GH5 track list well enough to recommend anything

I don't know the GH5 track list at all. I started with GH2, and the first tier of songs on Hard were just hard enough for me to scrape by (maybe failing a song or two my first time, it's been too long to remember), but adapt well enough to do the same for the second tier, and so on. The GH2 tracks in the main setlist only had a couple of major stopping points for me, one of them being Psychobilly Freakout.