ID:277720

In this topic you list Pros and Cons of the year 2007.

Pros:
None that I can think of

Cons:
Jeff Gerstmann was fired.
Sean Taylor died.
Pimp C of U.G.K. died. (International Players Anthem song)(feat. Andre 3000 of Outkast)
All...in the span of 7 days.
Pro: I'm turning 18 in a week
Um, the wii got some good games?
byond 4.0 came out
you're not dead
byond isn't dead

Con: Gotta sign up to be able to get drafted if needed(if not, $250,00 fine and/or jail time)
Wii got some even BETTER games comin out in '08
Its not 2008
Evel Keneval died right after making up with Kanye West
bush still isn't out of office
gerald levert died

Thought I had more pros; guess not.
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD

Con: Gotta sign up to be able to get drafted if needed(if not, $250,00 fine and/or jail time)

Eh, drafted? Where do you live?

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
The U.S. Its doesn't mean that you WILL be drafted, but you have to sign up within 30 days of your 18th birthday in order to possibly be selected if there is a draft..Its easy to say just don't do it, but if you don't it can stop you from getting government college funding along with the other fines..0_0 So hopefully bush doesn't get us into a mega war requiring a heck of a lot of troops..
Surely you can think of some pros?

Pros:
Linux saw a large jump in consumer viability and overall market share.
BYOND 4.0
Lots of good video games came out.
The humans have yet to blow up the world.
Some smart people are still alive.
Despite group think, the gap between the rich and poor in the USA is small and shrinking still.
Overall poverty levels are shrinking(In and out of the USA).

And that's just a few of the great things about 2007. Sure, you can't say "Cancer finally had a cure on April 26th, 2007" or anything profound like that, but things don't always happen on a single day. You could, however, say "2007 saw great advances in the battle against cancer, and death rates from cancer are still dropping and people with cancer are living longer". Sure, doesn't make for a pretty timeline, but it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
Yeah, I sort of left that one out. Forgot all about it, and now I don't care too much to go do it.
Mecha Destroyer JD wrote:
So hopefully bush doesn't get us into a mega war requiring a heck of a lot of troops..

I do not understand drafts, maybe back in the day it made sense when there were hardly any troops...but don't we have like millions and millions of them now? Also, don't thousands of them volunteer everyday to join the army? Why do we need a draft?
In response to Cavern
So we can liberate <s>Afghanistan</s> <s>Iraq</s> Iran I suppose

~Kujila
Team Fortress 2 came out in 2007 so overall the year is a good one.

~Kujila
Oh well yeah, everyone has to do that when you turn 18. Don't worry, there won't be a draft during this administration. If there is I'm sure a bleeding heart will call for impeachment, everyone will protest and cry, Southpark will have an episode about the draft, and then Bush will announce the draft is canceled.

~Kujila
Wait what? 30 days after your 18th birthday... I turned 18 in september. How the hell, and were the hell do you sign up?
In response to Knifo
Our local post office has signs saying you can do it there.
In response to Cavern
A draft wouldn't happen in the current war situation. Drafts happen when the country is directly threated with a very big country attacking. This war is hardly a war of arms, and more a political war. We wont win with numbers, we will win with correct diplomacy that leaves everyone happy. So unless they are going to draft only kids who are graduating college with a psychiatric degree, it would hardy help the war.
In response to Knifo
My state has it automatically register you whenever you get your driver's license.

Of course, I got my license way after I was 18.

~Kujila
In response to Knifo
Me too. I signed up in November.
In response to Danial.Beta
Danial.Beta wrote:
A draft wouldn't happen in the current war situation. Drafts happen when the country is directly threated with a very big country attacking. This war is hardly a war of arms, and more a political war. We wont win with numbers, we will win with correct diplomacy that leaves everyone happy. So unless they are going to draft only kids who are graduating college with a psychiatric degree, it would hardy help the war.

Your explanation is too logical for politics. :D
In response to Danial.Beta
Danial.Beta wrote:
Despite group think, the gap between the rich and poor in the USA is small and shrinking still.

Jigga what!?

Economists would tend not to agree with you. Here's the second result from a Google search for "gap between rich and poor", for example: http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/03/29/business/income.4.php

Definition of group think: The tendency for members of a cohesive group to reach decisions without weighing all the facts, especially those contradicting the majority opinion.

The fact that most learned people recognize that the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer does not mean that their opinions are the result of "group think".

a) The group is not cohesive. Economists from all backgrounds crunch the same numbers. Some estimates of how large the gap is, and how fast it's growing, are conservative; however, it's very hard for even the most biased plutocrat economists to twist the figures hard enough to suggest any decrease in the gap.
b) The group is weighing the facts. You and I may not have the background required to understand the market trends and patterns of money flow that allow one to assess the gap, but research is done year round by a wide array of economists.

Any claim that the perception of a widening gap between rich and poor is a result of group think is directly analogous to a claim that the perception of a warming globe is the result of group think: the facts have been widely distributed, checked and re-checked by qualified researchers of varied backgrounds, and many times verified. The verdict is in: the gap is getting larger and the globe is getting hotter.

There is still plenty of room for argument regarding how we might close the gap or regulate the globe's temperature. However, "we're beating poverty!" is definitely not a statement we can make in 2007.
In response to PirateHead
Perhaps the presentation I watched had their facts wrong, but it clearly showed the income levels bunching together, less poor and less rich all together. You can say, at the very least, the quality of living for poor people is improving, even if it is still pretty bad. I grew up on the poor end of life, and you'd be surprised the quality of living compared to many African countries.
In response to Knifo
http://www.sss.gov/

I think you should be able to do it there.
If you registered to vote you would have been automatically entered.
Page: 1 2