ID:185730

I'm in need of a good, C++ compiler with an actual GUI. I just don't like that command line programming. I've tried Dev-C++, but it never allows me to run a program. It simply compiles it, and that's about it.
I'm in need of a good, C++ compiler with an actual GUI. I just don't like that command line programming. I've tried Dev-C++, but it never allows me to run a program. It simply compiles it, and that's about it.

Well then you are looking for an IDE(Integrated Development Environment) not a compiler(though you probably want one of those too). A compiler converts source code into object code then a linker converts object code into machine code.

Anyway Microsoft released the express versions of their IDEs for free which you can pick up at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/ .

Granted I used Visual Studio 2003 so I'm not exactly sure how the express version is limited though from my experiance Microsoft's development tools have been excellent.
In response to Theodis
also search for compilers in the forum search - this topic has been discussed several times in the past here.
If you have iostream in thar', just put a

int x = 0;
cin >> x;

at the end of your main()

It will wait for input instead of closing the program after compilation.

Very Quick and Dirty.

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Or just <code>cin.get();</code> but I doubt that's his problem. =P

~~> Unknown Person
In response to Unknown Person
Unknown Person wrote:
Or just <code>cin.get();</code> but I doubt that's his problem. =P

~~> Unknown Person

Yeah, I was always annoyed when that window would come up and close, and I had to throw that line in. It especially created a sort of a wall for me when I started, with my first program- HelloWorld.cpp! I never really use Dev-C++ much anymore, due to various reasons....

If his program's not running at all, then he's probably too used to DM's Compile-capabilities, or he hasn't fixed a problem in his code. Of course, if it's like what I went through with HelloWorld.cpp, he could just not know that it runs.

Hiead
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
Granted I used Visual Studio 2003 so I'm not exactly sure how the express version is limited though from my experiance Microsoft's development tools have been excellent.

I haven't had the free time to work with it properly yet, but from what I've seen so far it's very good. Although I'm not a big fan of that 'every panel looks like a website' design most new Microsoft programs have.
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
If you have iostream in thar', just put a

int x = 0;
cin >> x;

at the end of your main()

It will wait for input instead of closing the program after compilation.

Very Quick and Dirty.

~Kujila

Or if your on windows, you could use system("PAUSE");.

Or open them from the command line, like they are ment to be. :P
In response to Smoko
Well, as I recall, Visual Studio will automatically pause at the end of a successful run so the command prompt box won't close at the program's end, whereas Dev-C++ doesn't. :)

~Kujila
In response to Smoko
Yar:

From Dev-cpp:

<code>#include <cstdlib> #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { system("PAUSE"); return EXIT_SUCCESS; } </code>

~Kujila
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:

VC++ version Comparisions.
In response to Hiead
I'll get on that a bit later.

As for the unawareness, you're right. I can't rell if it is opening and closing to fast for me to see, or Windows to display.
In response to DarkView
A newbie to C++ could learn the whole language with just the index in Visual C++ 2005 Express ....I mean, I just downloaded it, and clicked one thing in it, and got more than I recall on the single topic in the last C++ book I read.

Hiead
In response to Theodis
Well, now I know the Dev-C++ isn't even running the enviroment. I'll try the Visual Studios as soon as I get home. Maybe even Visual Basic if I'm in the mood for quick application creation.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Well, now I know the Dev-C++ isn't even running the enviroment. I'll try the Visual Studios as soon as I get home. Maybe even Visual Basic if I'm in the mood for quick application creation.

I suggest avoiding VB and just using C#. VB.NET is pretty much C# with a crappy syntax and despite being so similar it also runs much slower. Besides if you are familiar with DM the C# syntax should feel more natural anyway.
In response to Theodis
I (for some reason) haven't checked into C#, yet. Is DM closer to C++ or C#?

Hiead
In response to Hiead
I haven't tried C# either... I've taken many VB.NET course though, so do you think I would be able to learn C# rather easily?

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
I haven't tried C# either... I've taken many VB.NET course though, so do you think I would be able to learn C# rather easily?

VB.NET is pretty much the same as C# except with its crappy verbouse syntax. And if you've done developed in DM the syntax in C# shouldn't be all that difficult you just need to get used to using braces to define scope and semicolons to terminate statements.
In response to Theodis
Oh yeah! I'm in C# Express right now and it's great! I like C++'s syntax better, but I like the way I can develop programs easily and quickly with VB, and this is the best of both worlds!

Thanks for showing me this, it's cool.

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Wait a minute, which would be the better (as in more powerful?) language, C# or C++? Which is easier to learn?
Page: 1 2