In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
You have to download the game itself as well (or at least the resources). So it feels like a lot of hassle.

Like having to go out of your way to get DirectX for a game?

Directx is preinstalled on XP, and most large games on cd's (700 meg+) have it on it.
In response to Critical
Directx is preinstalled on XP, and most large games on cd's (700 meg+) have it on it.

Yeah it is but if your version isn't up to date you have to get the new version. If you really wanted you could package BYOND with you game like proffesional games do with Direct X but unless you're releasing it on CD it would be quite dumb.
In response to Theodis
Direct X isnt updated very often, and its not really a smart idea to compare it to BYOND, whole games run off it and it is highly used in computing. Of course if you dont have it installed your not going to be able to use much. Maybe BYOND could be packaged so it includes the BYOND package plus custom shortcuts for the player to run if he wants to host or wants to play single player.
In response to Critical
Maybe BYOND could be packaged so it includes the BYOND package plus custom shortcuts for the player to run if he wants to host or wants to play single player.

Well for the EXE just check the box 'Include EXE file' and poof you have an exe with your game name packaged up that automatically loads your dmb file :P.
In response to Theodis
But it doesn't actually solve many of the other problems. The EXE files that are packaged by DS will download BYOND. Maybe an option to include the BYOND package itself, for single-player gaames on standalone machines?
In response to ShakerDeath
ShakerDeath wrote:
a little thing i request: Byond browser plugin...
like you can extract some special html code on dreammaker...
and then like.. people that come to your website can just download it as an IE-plugin and it shows the usual BYOND dreemseeker program, on ur browser...
and shows avalible servers for the game..

this all might seem a lill wase, weird, or stupid.. but it would be relly handy for people that dont know BYOND yet and just want to play a cool game...

You can already, not only have a web site that lists avaible servers online, but also if they are up or not using PHP, its not very hard. And of course clinking the avaible online ones will download the game.

As for the key thing, I think its more of a hassel then it would help. When I first started i was just looking for Dragon Warrior Online one day on google.com and found a ad for it and this site... I figured out easily what "Key" ment.
In response to DeathAwaitsU
He said download an applet. The reason of using it in a browser would be to not have to download anything...otherwise, why not just use the real BYOND?
In response to Theodis
But DirectX is usually smaller than the game that's using it.

Also, I meant that its a hassle to download all of the BYOND software and register for a key just to play one game.
In response to OneFishDown
OneFishDown wrote:
But DirectX is usually smaller than the game that's using it.

Also, I meant that its a hassle to download all of the BYOND software and register for a key just to play one game.

DirectX seems smaller because so much of it is included with Windows XP, or previous versions of DirectX. If BYOND came with windows, and had a web-install patcher, it would be smaller too. :)
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
You have to download the game itself as well (or at least the resources). So it feels like a lot of hassle.

Like having to go out of your way to get DirectX for a game?

Exactly.
In response to Jotdaniel
Another item on my list:

Other icon making system:
Yes, still just the 2d pixels, but the ability to create multi-tiled things easier.

like you can input the size of the tile you're gonna create..
cuz, all the damnd icon states, argh..

and another thing for the icon making:
maybe some things like Effects.
Shadow effect, 3D-effect, light effect(s), whatever..

But the most important is the multi-tile system..
Stop using BltBit.
ShakerDeath wrote:
Another item on my list:

Yes, still just the 2d pixels, but the ability to create multi-tiled things easier.

Maybe what you want is TileStudio
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
ShakerDeath wrote:
Another item on my list:

does that work with dreammaker?
ShakerDeath wrote:
Jon88 wrote:

does that work with dreammaker?

At the moment, you can save as PNGs and such and import those into Dream Maker. Also, if you're feeling brave, you could try and create a tile studio definition file so it can save directly to .dmis.
In response to Jon88
i'dd rather have DMI's yea, and if it would be possible to export as DMI, DreamMaker would still spilit it up in small tiles..
so thats why i want something like that IN dreammaker..
so you dont have to multi-tile, but just create 1 big tile!
-More than 255 colors in a dmi.
-Fullscreen capabilities.
-Ability to compile a project into a .exe that can be ran from CDs or elsewhere without having BYOND installed.
-Ability to make overlays and underlays have properties such as density.
-Ability to change overlays properties as well.
-Ability to put turfs into tilesets that can be placed down at once like a bmp and png and still have their own individual properties.
-Ability to copy/cut objects/turfs/mobs only. Without copy or cutting everything in the area.
-Advanced Find/Replace in Selection system for the DMs.
-Ability to highlight multiple states in a DMI and copy/cut paste them.
-Ability to copy/cut paste animations from one project to another, not just pixmaps. (Might be a bug...)
-Ability to have more than 10 windows open in Dream Maker and have a bar at the bottom letting you minimize, open, and close the windows. Even let you change the size of the windows with multiple windows open in one Dream Maker.
-Remove manual .configure delay and have a better automative system for it. (It can be used to exploit many bugs in poorly coded games, which would be 90% of BYOND games. And don't say that it is the programmers fault, correct me if I am wrong, but you want a user friendly program. It is not a newbies problem if they do not know about .configure delay)
-Make pop ups go away for the host on reboots, not just the players. (Might be a bug as well...) Games with pop up logins freeze the host if they do not login after a reboot and it reboots again.
-Ability to change one area tile in an area. Maybe have it set an index for each area tile so that you can change its propeties alone. It might defeat the purpose of the area, but would be great for weather effects and other area wide effects.
-Ability to change website colors for your hub without having to override previous HTML coding.
-An 'Update' button the DMIs that fixes all the icons states for when you change a color in on the palette. Or auto update all the states when you change a color on the palette.
-Have a message telling you that you have run out of colors when you import something, so it does not change the colors for other states unless you want it to.
-An image editor that lets you edit bmps and pngs in Dream Maker when you open them.
-A sound player that opens up the wavs and midis in your project inside Dream Maker.
-Better undo/redo system for the DMI editor and DMP editor. One that keeps track of undos and redos more than once.
-Ability to use HTML in statpanels (if that is even possible).
... There is more but I am tired of typing, Heh ...
I have only one:
A built in proc that returns the value of where an atom on the map is on your screen.
This isn't aready in, is it?
In response to Theosco
Are you asking for position relative to another mob? Whatever your asking exactly, it doesn't sound that hard to do yourself.
In response to Aaiko
Aaiko wrote:
-More than 255 colors in a dmi.

I think this is planned, but in a "We intend to do it someday" sense... so don't hold your breath. =)

-Ability to compile a project into a .exe that can be ran from CDs or elsewhere without having BYOND installed.

You can already nearly do this. Getting it to compile to an actual .exe would be time-consuming and not really worth it.

-Ability to make overlays and underlays have properties such as density.

Why on earth do you want this? Just change the density of the atom it's attached to. If you want to remove overlays it makes it easier if you keep track of them properly anyway, so that isn't hard at all.

-Ability to have more than 10 windows open in Dream Maker and have a bar at the bottom letting you minimize, open, and close the windows. Even let you change the size of the windows with multiple windows open in one Dream Maker.

An MDI interface would be nice, but, well, it's basically glitz. There are many more important things. And you can have more than 10 windows open, they just don't show up on the Window menu.

-Make pop ups go away for the host on reboots, not just the players. (Might be a bug as well...) Games with pop up logins freeze the host if they do not login after a reboot and it reboots again.

That would be a bug.

-Ability to change one area tile in an area. Maybe have it set an index for each area tile so that you can change its propeties alone. It might defeat the purpose of the area, but would be great for weather effects and other area wide effects.

Not sure what you mean here... surely you can just use the turfs instead?

-An 'Update' button the DMIs that fixes all the icons states for when you change a color in on the palette. Or auto update all the states when you change a color on the palette.

Eh. Just a minor glitch bug. I'd put this on a wishlist for the current version, as I'm sure it really wouldn't be that hard to fix. =)

-An image editor that lets you edit bmps and pngs in Dream Maker when you open them.

It's called Paint Shop Pro. Dream Maker's icon editor is made to serve basic needs only.

-A sound player that opens up the wavs and midis in your project inside Dream Maker.

Do you mean a sound editor? If so... you're kidding, right? That's an entire new application in itself.

If you mean just a sound player, you can double-click on files to open them with the default application.

-Ability to use HTML in statpanels (if that is even possible).

Hopefully statpanels will be obsolete in 4.0. =) NOTE: This is not a statement of fact, it is merely an opinion, do not take this as news that there won't be statpanels, because this is just a random statement and not at all reliable. I don't know any more about BYOND 4.0's interface thing than anyone else.
Page: 1 2 3 4