In response to Dr.Penguin
No, no one will spend money on it. Especially if the game-play is sh!t and that the icon too
In response to Tom
Some part of what you just said, among other comments here, keep reminding me about one or two questions I can't get off my mind; which is would you ever work on anything else like BYOND again? and either way, what most interests you in terms of something fresh?

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect a full remake for BYOND or anything like that. I'm quite happy with everything BYOND has done lately, no doubt about that, and I really hope all this works out well; I'm just very curious about what might be created or worked on.

I imagine that's pretty hard to answer right now, since it may still be in the thinking through and deciding phase, but I figured I would ask anyway just in case there is any kind of hints that could be given.
In response to Toddab503
Honestly, I hope he replies cause, if he do give certain of his future project for BYOND or any other thing of some sort. I'll donate, cause now I do not have any reason to donate unless it's them starving to death.
If BYOND was remade from ground up and I knew Tom and Lummox were involved wholeheartedly, and we were promised some really rich development tools convincingly, I'd invest thousands.
I don't have any intention of rewriting BYOND but we may well open source it to see if people can do something with it. That would be down the line somewhere. Honestly, I think with a good infrastructure and all of the modern tools available, someone could probably do this project a lot better, but it would be a big commitment.

What I'm leaning towards doing is taking some of the technology we've developed in the backend here to spin it off into a sort of social experiment/game I've had in mind for a while.

But as far as this project goes, should we continue to receive some contributions so we can put in the time, we'll do all we can to push things forward. A lot of recent development has just been stifled because we've had to do a lot of experiments just to try to figure out how to make money, and if that isn't as big of a problem, we should be able to get a few things done.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
If BYOND was remade from ground up and I knew Tom and Lummox were involved wholeheartedly, and we were promised some really rich development tools convincingly, I'd invest thousands.

Honestly, I agree. I'd love to see BYOND being remade from the beginning for a fresh, and nice, start. I think that BYOND could maybe take a break on those minor update and just close the site. Though, we'd still be able to see the Meter and donate. I'd love to see it. +1, if this happens I'll try donate as much as I can!
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I don't have any intention of rewriting BYOND but we may well open source it to see if people can do something with it.

Please, no! Instead of doing that you should find out yourself if someone could help you - one; Do good business move - two; Help improve BYOND!.

In response to Tom
Hm, can't really decide how I feel about open sourcing, but I can see how it would have more options. It would probably take someone highly motivated to endure such a huge commitment, though.

Sounds really interesting, actually. I'm definitely interested in checking it out when, and if it comes around.

I look forward to seeing how everything goes, and to seeing any updates there are for BYOND, or the work of anyone involved in its development.

Thanks for the information, as well. My mind isn't going crazy wondering about it now, heh.
In response to Haiji
Haiji wrote:
Please, no! Instead of doing that you should find out yourself if someone could help you - one; Do good business move - two; Help improve BYOND!.

I don't see why they couldn't continue to work on BYOND while it's open source. They would just have the benefit of other people being able to point out issues and contribute what they can.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Haiji wrote:

I don't see why they couldn't continue to work on BYOND while it's open source. They would just have the benefit of other people being able to point out issues and contribute what they can.

I kind of wonder why Tom doesn't do what he did before - release parts of the source to trusted users, as he did in the past. (Lummox JR, Shadowdarke, Deadron, Mike H...).
We have gurus like Stephen, Nadrew, and Audeuro - and while they might not be able to contribute full-time, they'd be some sort of helpful input.
I assume it's because teaching them how to efficiently work with a code base as massive (and old!) as BYOND isn't exactly the least time consuming thing to do. That, and there's no promise of a decent return in contributions. How long did Shadowdarke, Deadron, and Mike H work with BYOND's engine?
In response to Writing A New One
Writing A New One wrote:
I assume it's because teaching them how to efficiently work with a code base as massive (and old!) as BYOND isn't exactly the least time consuming thing to do. That, and there's no promise of a decent return in contributions. How long did Shadowdarke, Deadron, and Mike H work with BYOND's engine?

Shadowdarke, to my knowledge, has contributed a large amount of libraries and demos, much of which I learned to program from, and much of which allow alternatives to the things BYOND is generally concrete about. Alerts, for example, can be recreated using his library on them to allow HTML and things similar.

Deadron I know has released a large amount of helpful libraries and demos, which I am certain most people have used and learned from.
Yeah, I know that they've both contributed a huge amount to BYOND (Shadowdarke even assisted me a few years back--a very helpful and friendly guy!)... But working with the actual BYOND source is an entirely different ball game to DM. I imagine it would take a considerable amount of time for Tom and Lummox to even introduce someone into writing code for the engine. With that in mind, it's understandable to think that Tom would be hesitant on allowing another person to join them, knowing that they have no real obligation to commit for the long-term. A paid employee, on the other hand, with invested interest in the project is a lot more reliable.

I don't program though, nor do I know of Tom's stance / history with free contributions, so this is all assumption based on what I've learned from others.
In response to Writing A New One
What I meant was that they created alternatives to the things pre-programmed into the source from the knowledge they gained by learning of it. Now, I'm sure programming the engine itself is a bit more complex and difficult, but they have contributed things by understanding how the engine works. Hard to explain what I mean, I guess.
Those guys are all very intelligent and have contributed to the source and/or web code for BYOND. Ultimately, they departed from the project because they had other priorities or interests, and BYOND wasn't paying enough to make it worthwhile. Furthermore, I did not succeed in giving very good direction because I was trying to work on the code myself.
Hey Tom,

Have you ever thought about starting a kickstarter project for BYOND? Advertised correctly on Kickstarter, you could get some serious money to continue the project and to expand.

I contribute to a lot of kickstarter projects myself, it would also be another way to get word about BYOND out to more people, which could again add to more income.

Just a thought.
In response to SnipeDragon
Kickstarter wasn't intended to save existing projects, but to help start upcoming projects, they don't support the project after it's on it's completed.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Kickstarter wasn't intended to save existing projects, but to help start upcoming projects, they don't support the project after it's on it's completed.

Thats not true at all, especially not in the gaming section. There are plenty of game projects on kickstarter that are only looking to expand, I know, I've pledged to quite a few of them.

In response to SnipeDragon
Not what I meant, the donations are more a way to save BYOND than expand it. If the donations work well enough, expansion is a viable outcome from that; but you don't go to kickstarter say 'I need money to save this project, then maybe I'll expand'. It's more of 'I want to do this with my project, but I can only do that if I can get the money to fund it. If you help me fund this, it will happen and I will offer you _______ for donating x amount.'
I think your fund-o-meter is a bit inaccurate. The amount says a little over $3,300 but the meter looks more like $1,600.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34 35 36