ID:133160

Hey. I have been fooling around with the skin for my game for quite a while now trying to accomplish this:

First off, the game is full screen, as in, it has a huge giant map in the center. Then you have this seperate window for the stat panels floating around and you can position it wherever you like, and its alpha is 150 so its transparent and you can still see the map behind it. The output box is the same way, its this transparent window floating around and you can position it however you want. But that is not how I WANT the output box.

When I made the output box transparent, the text also becomes transparent. As far as I know there is no way to stop this. And here, in a perfect case scenario, is what I WANTED to accomplish: I wanted the output box background to be completely transparent, and the text to be completely solid, meaning the player would just see the map behind the text and the text would appear to be scrolling right down the side of the map for instance.

So my suggestion, is to have the alpha settings for the output window and the text in the output window, be two separate adjustable things. That way I can have solid text and a transparent output box. Or some equivalent to what I just mentioned, I don't know how it would be accomplished.

Basically: It'd be nice to have a way so that the text that normally goes to the output would appear to be scrolling on the actual map somewhere, whether it actually is or just appears to be.

Also this would be great for Stat Panels too. What if I wanted to have a seperate window for a moveable transparent stat panel? (Which I do). But I want the background to be totally transparent, but the text/objects that appear in the panels (Such as stats and inventory), would be completely solid. So only the text would be solid, and the borders around the stat panels, and the icons of objects appearing in the stat panels (inventory).

I really, really want to make my skin appear that way, but I don't think there is a realistic way provided right now, I may be wrong.
Dragonn wrote:
So my suggestion, is to have the alpha settings for the output window and the text in the output window, be two separate adjustable things. That way I can have solid text and a transparent output box. Or some equivalent to what I just mentioned, I don't know how it would be accomplished.

I've asked for this before. Lummox said its not possible with the way windows transparencies work.
In response to Falacy
You can mimic this by setting transparency in the background image/color.

An example is hub://mikau.mik_chat
In response to Metamorphman
Metamorphman wrote:
You can mimic this by setting transparency in the background image/color.

An example is hub://mikau.mik_chat

That system is fail for anything that needs to be mobile. Plus last time I looked at it, all it offered was fully transparent BGs with fully solid text (easy to do, though buggy). We only want semi transparent BGs. You could technically mimic it by using 2 windows, but as I said, it fails if you want the windows to be positionable at will.
In response to Falacy
You obviously haven't seen the update, it updates the position now; besides, it wouldn't be that difficult to implement such a system yourself. You could use Nadrew's Window Manager to find out when the window is moved, if you wish to take a more efficient approach.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
You obviously haven't seen the update, it updates the position now; besides, it wouldn't be that difficult to implement such a system yourself. You could use Nadrew's Window Manager to find out when the window is moved, if you wish to take a more efficient approach.

Even when automatically updating window locations in a sleep(1)ed loop, the drag behind effect makes it look like crap.
In response to Falacy
You can always use Nadrew's Window Manager and the window moved or whatever function. Read my full post next time.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
You can always use Nadrew's Window Manager and the window moved or whatever function. Read my full post next time.

I read your post in full.
A. Nadrew's library doesn't have functions for detecting window movements. It only detects focus related things, and supposedly resizing; though that doesn't even seem to be working.
B. It's not efficient to run a loop on a 0 sleep to constantly update the window locations, in fact, it would crash the game. And only updating them once a tick is far too slow to keep up with mouse movements, which makes a drag behind effect: where your chat box is over here [ ] and the game window is over here [ ], which looks like total crap; especially if you're trying to portray the windows as being a single entity.
In response to Falacy
A) Oh, sorry, I could have sworn Nadrew's Window Manager had an on move function; I guess my memory is faulty.

B) Yeah, I know, hence why I didn't mention that method in my post.
Edit a window, go to the skin tab and check "Set transparent color in image", and it comes out looking like this:

asdf.bmp (2.3 MB)

This has problems though. You can only go either fully solid or fully transparent. If it's fully transparent it causes problems, such as if you click a transparent area in a tab for instance it won't go to the tab, you have to actually click the text. You CANNOT click the input bar AT ALL. And that is all the problems I know of.

Maybe there is something to this if byond makes it so you can set a custom alpha in the background image rather than only solid or fully transparent?? I really hope we get a feature supporting this soon.

This is as close as I can get the game to look like how I want, but what I really want is about 50 alpha in the background instead of what you see in this image.

The image is of a "standard RPG" engine I'm making for myself. So I can make anything out of it just by adding the races/classes/abilities/places of a certain niche and boom, I have a game about it. I plan to make a series of similar game's but with different source material. All the major animes and some video games, in order I think it'll be: DC Universe RPG (Comics), Resident Evil RPG, Dragon Ball (again), Feudal Japanese/Samurai/Ninja RPG, Bleach, and Naruto (maybe, but I really don't like Naruto but it's popular). The icons you see there are ripped but that is because my originals aren't made yet, also this is just the engine, when it's made into a real game of course all icons will be original, since I know that kind of crap matters to the average shmuck. Everything in the engine is tweaked to my liking, it is exactly how I would want a byond RPG to play, all it needs now is to have the features from whatever source material I choose added to it (Races/Classes/Items/Skills/Locations).
In response to Dragonn
Is anyone going to pay attention to this? I accomplished it but there are problems that now need fixed with it and I am reporting them as byond bugs.

I told in my former post HOW this was accomplished, but there are still these problems that need fixed:

1) Background images can only be made fully transparent or fully solid, nowhere inbetween.
2) Clicking a transparent area does not result in clicking what you wanted to click. This is normal, but if you could adjust the alpha of the background image as mentioned above this would be just fine because odds are nobody will make it fully transparent anyway.
3) The fully transparent input bar is not clickable at all. Of course this would not be a problem as long as #1 is addressed.

Long story short, make it so background images have their own alpha rather than just fully solid or fully transparent. I hope this is possible. And thanks.

As you can see in the below image, the background is fully transparent. And because of that it is very hard to click tabs and impossible to click the input bar. If I had my way the background would have 100 alpha while the foreground would be solid 255 alpha (as the foreground already is in the image, but the background has "0 alpha" or whatever.)

Dragonn wrote:
Edit a window, go to the skin tab and check "Set transparent color in image", and it comes out looking like this:

asdf.bmp (2.3 MB)

This has problems though. You can only go either fully solid or fully transparent. If it's fully transparent it causes problems, such as if you click a transparent area in a tab for instance it won't go to the tab, you have to actually click the text. You CANNOT click the input bar AT ALL. And that is all the problems I know of.

Maybe there is something to this if byond makes it so you can set a custom alpha in the background image rather than only solid or fully transparent?? I really hope we get a feature supporting this soon.

This is as close as I can get the game to look like how I want, but what I really want is about 50 alpha in the background instead of what you see in this image.

The image is of a "standard RPG" engine I'm making for myself. So I can make anything out of it just by adding the races/classes/abilities/places of a certain niche and boom, I have a game about it. I plan to make a series of similar game's but with different source material. All the major animes and some video games, in order I think it'll be: DC Universe RPG (Comics), Resident Evil RPG, Dragon Ball (again), Feudal Japanese/Samurai/Ninja RPG, Bleach, and Naruto (maybe, but I really don't like Naruto but it's popular). The icons you see there are ripped but that is because my originals aren't made yet, also this is just the engine, when it's made into a real game of course all icons will be original, since I know that kind of crap matters to the average shmuck. Everything in the engine is tweaked to my liking, it is exactly how I would want a byond RPG to play, all it needs now is to have the features from whatever source material I choose added to it (Races/Classes/Items/Skills/Locations).
In response to Daimaou
No, because people have gone over it already. It's completely worthless to work on your requests, as it would require much time and effort on Lummox's part. Windows has very limited options for transparency; to add these features, BYOND would have to draw controls on the screen directly.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
No, because people have gone over it already. It's completely worthless to work on your requests, as it would require much time and effort on Lummox's part. Windows has very limited options for transparency; to add these features, BYOND would have to draw controls on the screen directly.

Didn't you see the screenshot? At first you said it is impossible to have a transparent background with solid text. But that screenshot clearly shows otherwise...
In response to Daimaou
Unfortunately what you want isn't even remotely feasible due to the nature of how interfaces work. It would take far more time and effort to do something like this than it's worth.
In response to Falacy
In response to Ghtry
Ghtry wrote:
Both sleep and spawn accept decimals which allows a fine tuned tick such that sleep(0.5) will sleep half a tick. So I just wanted to say if people would experiment more with what can be done, certain results could be achieved.

No they don't.
mob/Login()
spawn() while(src)
sleep(0.1);world<<"0.1"
spawn() while(src)
sleep(1);world<<"1"
return ..()

Those output at even intervals. If sleep/spawn took decimals; "0.1" would be output 10x as often.
In response to Falacy
In response to Ghtry
Ghtry wrote:
Just to literally prove they do accept decimals run the following:
You are correct about one thing however... 0.x decimals fail to work correctly. The above code however proves that sleep and spawn well in this case just sleep, will accept a decimal.

Running sleep tick comparison tests...
Test DONE
Sleep 1.5 counter == 100
Sleep 2 counter == 50

Clearly the 1.5 sleep is being rounded down to 1. If it was actually running at 1.5 vs 2 the results would be 75 to 50.
In response to Ghtry
There is no such thing as a half a tick. BYOND rounds whatever you want to sleep to the nearest multiple of world.tick_lag. Also, sleep() and spawn() are in 1/10 seconds, not ticks.
In response to Daimaou
I never said that was impossible. I didn't even read your posts beyond "let us clicks on transparent backgrounds not count as clicks on the window". Why? Because, as I already said, it takes too much time.

Also, there is a way to make a click on a fully transparent input not count as a click. You just don't use transparency, you use visibility.
Page: 1 2