In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
That's what you get for trying to copy my name...lol

In response to Ter13
Funny you mentioned SS13 because I was browsing Reddit and there was a topic along the lines of "Free PC games everyone should own" and SS13 was on the list.

I was kind of shocked to see a BYOND game being advertised somewhere else.

Yeah, it's different and completely insane. Imagine what kind of buzz it would generate if it were executed just a little bit better?

BYOND can learn a lot from the success of NEStalgia and SS13, when it comes to how to create a solid community of your own.
I guess we're going to ignore that one anime game umm Naruto GOA. The one that had like 500 people when it 1st came out. All due to Masterdan's simple youtube and naruto forums advertisements.

Anime games don't count right?
In response to BornASaiyan23
The one that had its source spread about and made into a bunch of copies (And, in my personal opinion, was never fun to begin with)?

Of course we could count it. Of course, we can bring more attention to the games that are technically illegal. I'd rather not, though.
When I read posts like this I remember Mystic Journey, I loved that game, it was probably the original game I loved the most on BYOND, I wish it was still online; that game deserved more players in the past, it was really worth it.
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
Of course we could count it. Of course, we can bring more attention to the games that are technically illegal. I'd rather not, though.

I would have to agree with this, but it started way before Naruto.. It was DBZ, Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior, they started as very popular games and then ended up have the source leaked just like Naruto...

Hell NEStalgia started off as either Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy, I can't remember which I think it was DW..

Face it the majority of games here are played by younger people and those young people like what is trending at the moment or what was big at the time in their generation, such as for me it was DBZ and when I first joined 2001 I played FF DBZ and DW... I didn't bother thinking that the game was illegal I just played it, an they were GREAT at the time, that was before they got leaked and we saw Super Sayian 900000
In response to Eternal_Memories
Eternal_Memories wrote:
When I read posts like this I remember Mystic Journey, I loved that game, it was probably the original game I loved the most on BYOND, I wish it was still online; that game deserved more players in the past, it was really worth it.
It is still up:
http://www.byond.com/games/Secxs/MysticJourney

NEStalgia was basically Silk realizing his Dragon Warrior Online game was going to wind up getting canned, and he rehashed.

Dragon Warrior games on BYOND were never actually a massive problem. It was always DBZ, Chao, and Naruto games that were the problem. For some reason, those IPs just made these festering little pockets of the worst sort of people spilling all over this site. --While simultaneously keeping it alive, they basically destroyed any decent reputation this site could hope to get, but yes, there have been good fangames... The bad ones, though, dear god.
In response to Raimo
Raimo wrote:
Eternal_Memories wrote:
It is still up:
http://www.byond.com/games/Secxs/MysticJourney

I see lol xD I didn't notice, however, it should get more players, why isn't it visible on BYOND, btw? The way it was made is pretty addicting, so I believe many players would like to try it, maybe it isn't as big as NEStalgia, but it is pretty good aswell.
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
Am I the only one who has noticed that if you want people from the BYOND website to play your game, you make it bad? Even with the games I've made, the worst ones were also the most popular.

I said that two years ago. In fact a lot of you in this thread are merely re-iterating tons of points I made in this post back in 2011, lol. I know 90% of what I say on this site is sarcastic but that particular post was to be taken seriously. It seems people just ignored it and decided to get these revelations two years later. Sigh.

Also, if the OP types "Silkroad" one more time...
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
NEStalgia was basically Silk realizing his Dragon Warrior Online game was going to wind up getting canned, and he rehashed.

And look how popular that got.

Dragon Warrior games on BYOND were never actually a massive problem.

True although BYOND had it's fair share of them, around 4 - 6 different ones, pretty sure I still have the source to one of them.

It was always DBZ, Chao, and Naruto games that were the problem.

Once Zeta came out everyone went nuts over Raekwon and the envitiable happen .. the source got leaked.

For some reason, those IPs just made these festering little pockets of the worst sort of people spilling all over this site.

Mostly kids, this site attracts kids for obvious reasons.

they basically destroyed any decent reputation this site could hope to get

Lets say dampered BYOND can always come back..

Lets say dampered BYOND can always come back..

I didn't mean to imply it was beyond recovery. I think we're in a positive swing right now, and things are moving rapidly towards the site attracting some more serious developers and a better way of doing business.
Ter13 wrote:
I didn't mean to imply it was beyond recovery. I think we're in a positive swing right now, and things are moving rapidly towards the site attracting some more serious developers and a better way of doing business.

I completely agree. In comparison to earlier this year, things have improved beyond my expectation. Hopefully things continue to gradually get better.

Kidpaddle45 wrote:
Pokemon Atom has been advertised on a few websites so far. The responses are amazing and from the number of comments,fav and people offering their help, I see the game getting around 40+ players from outside so far. (I advertised on 3 websites)

Awesome! I'm glad someone is advertising outside of BYOND. I don't really go out of my way to stalk every game in development, so it's nice to hear when a game is trying to make itself known.

I do plan on advertising efficiently when the game is ready. The lack of player when its up (10-15 players), is simply due to the fact that the game has no maps beside 3 towns. The game gets around 30-40 players and they all log out after finishing the first badge and completing their first task in the story-line.

You really need to get someone to help you. Doing it yourself is highly suggested, but adding an additional task to your to-do list would just delay an official release. I'm certain you can find somebody to help out, the game is taking things in the right direction.

I do believe...and HOPE that the game is going to get more players when it's officialy released and stable. As for it's ranking on BYOND. I don't know how BYOND's ranking works but all these games above me have more fans and that is...because they're online. Maybe when the game will officialy be up, the number of fans will increase?

Most likely, yes. Additionally, the amount of players could be increased if you continue to advertise and improve your game.
Well to be fair, NEStalgia was never a Dragon Warrior game. Our Dragon Warrior Online game from 2001 was a totally separate entity. It's just that we really enjoyed what we had done back then with creating a menu based RPG in an online environment and thought it would be fun to try it again from the ground up using original IP.

Even though fangames are generally a bad idea, I think BYOND was pretty well served to have that Dragon Warrior/Final Fantasy craze happen after the moderate success of DWO.

Those FF/DW games with their completely different type of game play sort of broke the mold and showed that as an engine BYOND had at least a modicum of versatility going for it. No verb panels, fully menu based HUDs, and turn based battles were all revolutionary concepts at the time (and even now since anime games really haven't evolved at all in the last 15 years). But at the end of the day DBZ/Naruto/Bleach is a way more popular IP to gain traffic from Google searches than something like "Retro Dragon Warrior Online Game."
Good read.
I kind of skimmed a lot of the posts, picking up points here and there, and I honestly think if devs could get some easier way to show projects out to people who don't use BYOND it would actually help the community grow (ironically perhaps).

I haven't attempted to use the BYONDexe yet, but from the download page it seems I need to ask for a special key? (for I guess legal reasons?)
In response to Jittai
I am unsure why they give out keys, perhaps it's to control the content? I've heard a few people had no issue with getting the keys, I suppose that Tom might start selling them?

You weren't really tied beforehand if you wanted to make a MUD with telnet access :)
I am unsure why they give out keys, perhaps it's to control the content? I've heard a few people had no issue with getting the keys, I suppose that Tom might start selling them?

The reason Tom started backing off on DM2EXE was because he was trying to monetize the website as a portal. Largely, the DM2EXE option gave developers a way to back away from the BYOND community, which, at the time, made sense due to all the monetization being on-site.

Now, though, it's looking like the best way to monetize the platform will be by getting developers to pay to not use the portal and site, so it's likely that Tom will be charging for the community-segmentation abilities that serious developers really need, like access to the flash client and DM2EXE.

It's not an ideal solution, but it really makes a lot of sense, considering...
Well, on one side you have Tom trying to make a living and to do that he preferably needs to increase subscriptions, memberships and advertisement revenue.

On the other side we have the developers, some of which would like to market their product more outside of the community. E.g. Steam / Desura / Other publisher. It's more difficult to do this without a self contained package that doesn't 'require' you to install Byond separately / login to it. They may want to do this with multiplayer games as well and not simply single player.

I think this is something that has to be a option to be honest and I really hope that Tom can eventually come to a good enough balancing point between his need to make money / the ability to draw developers to Byond's engine.
Page: 1 2 3 4