ID:137201

The close of last year brought us an attempt to make Tolkien's classic fantasy trilogy into a live-action movie, and by all accounts, it did a pretty good job. But do you know what happened a decade ago, when it was made into a video game? Visit http://www.byondscape.com and learn.
Lummox's basic message has been on my mind a lot the last couple of months:

In spite of all our feature requests, in spite of the desire for MP3 support, in spite of the fact that we think we need to be able to have 5,000x5,000 tile maps that load smoothly...

We have everything we need right now to create great games.

We have, as Lummox points out, far more than our predecessors did, and they did some amazing games. Anything from the great text games of the past to Space Invaders and Frogger and King's Quest and Tetris...

Making a game is not about the technology. The technology can help improve the feel of the game and can help you get your creativity across, but real creativity is about taking the limits you have and using them to create a great game.

There are always limits. If not technology, then time and how much art you can do. Whatever.

Given the limits you have, what great game can you make right now?
In response to Deadron
Art seems to be the big limitation right now. Most of the BYOND games out there seem to either use stick figures and their related graphics, or things taken from other games. No one wants to try making their own. I guess that's just this generation's laziness for you.
In response to Awakening
Are you calling me la...Uhh, I'll pay someone to finish that sentence...I'm going to bed now..
I always want to to make a game like that one. Too bad I can't remember enough of what I liked about it to remember what to remake... :oP
In response to Awakening
Art is no longer as easy to make. The standard has been raised. "Programmer art" is considered a bad phrase in many circles. It's not just people being lazy. Some people are simply not gifted in the area of drawing.

Besides, good games can even be made without graphics.
In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
Besides, good games can even be made without graphics.

Here's a little guarantee: Make a good game, using prototype art, and you will find an artist.

There is no shortage of people willing to contribute to an existing good game.