ID:1374790

With all the deleting of comments I've noticed.

^
Mods

I think they are pretty easy going in the off topic section, which is a good thing. But sometimes things can get a bit too off topic.
I think we need designated mods per forum section, labeling games, and people's profiles. Things should be more organized like a forum; a community. Threads should be on-topic at all times. They should lay down some forums rules as well.

Just my advice.
In response to Ripper man5
Ripper man5 wrote:
I think we need designated mods per forum section, labeling games, and people's profiles. Things should be more organized like a forum; a community. Threads should be on-topic at all times. They should lay down some forums rules as well.

Just my advice.

+1

I dunno eh, damned if we do, damned if we don't. P:
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
I dunno eh, damned if we do, damned if we don't. P:

I agree, but you'll have to agree that the trolling and insults are getting a bit out of hand, I'm sure you clean most of it up but a lot of it does stay open to the public.. Which doesn't make BYOND look professional at all..

I think one issue might be that the mods are too close to the members here, treating them more like friends and overlooking their posts a bit too often.. But that's just my opinion..
There was definitely a certain slip though recently, in some specific cases. A slip that was then handled.

I wouldn't say out of hand though, by any means. I can say that with some certainly, given that we're probably discussing the same events we were discussing two or three weeks ago, and that's to my mind, a fairly clear sign that the bad post:good post ratio is quite low.

While I'm not proposing BYOND is model or perfect in this regard, I feel the whole "high negativity" thing is somewhat overblown. I've worked with much more genuinely negative and aggressive communities in a moderative capacity than BYOND, BYOND isn't even close to that.

Anecdotally, I spend 50/50 time on actually addressing insults or trolling I see, and answering questions on why I'm not addressing insults or trolling I see / why I've addressed insults or trolling I see. The parties commonly involved in that (and the parties involved in the trolling), aren't avid BYOND game players, or BYOND game developers. Something is afoot, when that's the case.
TBH, if you don't care for the negativity, hover around developer help. It's my forum of choice, and I personally don't let drama from outside that particular avenue encroach on that forum.

I've had an instance where I was being aggressively trolled and baited by a user in the Off Topic section while I was simultaneously helping him with a code problem in Developer Help.

Though, I have to say, i don't think BYOND's negativity is necessarily so bad. There's a lot of misplaced egotism here, but that kind of goes with the territory of teenagers. I think the reason that it's so hard for many people to bear is that the people who are the worst offenders more often than not are genuinely incompetent, and just cannot see their own level of skill/knowledge from an objective light.

This is also a programmer-oriented board, and programmers are known for having something of a god complex crossed with aspergers. Pinch of garlic, stir, simmer for 30 minutes. You get the picture.
In response to Ter13
This is a forum where discussions happen, a fair few people I know won't post anything due to all the trolling and insults.. Most of the time you can't even have a proper conversation without one of the above happening.. It's just rediculous and not to mention its normally the same people doing the trolling which is more annoying because they don't seem to get dealt with properly..
Obligatory "oh look we're having our monthly discussion about the moderators over/under-moderating again." I wish the passion and effort put into these discussions were spent towards something actually productive, like making games.
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
I wish the passion and effort put into these discussions were spent towards something actually productive, like making games.

No one is stopping you.
As always, issues on moderation are best taken up with me privately. It's rather rare that people do, though. But please do, it's pretty much guaranteed you'd get a better explanation and response out of doing so.
It's just rediculous and not to mention its normally the same people doing the trolling which is more annoying because they don't seem to get dealt with properly..

A lot more moderation happens behind the scenes than you think.

Seems to me too many people complain about how bad BYOND is and just want to point fingers at everyone else, rather than actually helping by being positive, helpful, and above all, not falling victim to trolling.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
It's just rediculous and not to mention its normally the same people doing the trolling which is more annoying because they don't seem to get dealt with properly..

A lot more moderation happens behind the scenes than you think.

Seems to me too many people complain about how bad BYOND is and just want to point fingers at everyone else, rather than actually helping by being positive, helpful, and above all, not falling victim to trolling.

I know that a lot more happens than what we see :) I know they are somewhat active in moderating the forums which is a great thing, but sometimes the insults and trolling just stay there, I guess that's the part annoying me most.

I for one am staying positive BYOND 500 is starting to look great, it's just the forums that is a problem for me at least it, try have a serious conversation you'll get a few good awesome responses, 10 memes and a few insults for good measure, the forums hardly impact BYOND.as a program.

I used to be pretty active in developer help, hence the star I've so graciously received, in more dormant now and stick to Linux Help.
I dunno, it'd be nice to be able to purge off-topic and unhelpful comments with a post up/downvoting system accessible to members only. Of course, the system would likely get gamed heavily, and would be more effort than its worth.

What I think we need is a bit of a culture change among the userbase themselves, and for people to just kind of get over being trolled and insulted.

The religion threads a few weeks ago were absolutely fantastic, but all for the wrong reasons, and the recent awakening of Developous? Hilarious.

But that said, seems to me a number of users just need to grow a thicker skin and realize that this is the interbutts, and people are going to be dicks for no reason. I keep pretty tight with a number of really positive people on this site, and I'm pretty happy with the friends I've made here. I do wish, however, that the trend of needless hate on anyone who has proven that they can make a decent game, and the trend of constantly whining about what X/Y fangame was doing would stop, though.

I figure anybody who has actually made a hub and put the effort forward to keeping a game hosted deserves some modicum of respect and assistance. We really shouldn't be alienating people just because their kink isn't our kink.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
LordAndrew wrote:
I wish the passion and effort put into these discussions were spent towards something actually productive, like making games.

No one is stopping you.

Your statement would apply if these reoccurring discussions were brought up by LordAndrew. Even if it were to apply, regardless, I'm pretty sure he dedicates more time to his game than 90 percent of those active on the forum.

That aside, your statement also implies that complaining monthly is time well spent in comparison to game development.
I find a lot of the people that seem to be developing the games that are the most popular on BYOND (on both the hub, and outside of BYOND itself ie SS13) do not actually get involved in the forums' community.

What does this say about the community? Whatever it is, you guys need to shut up and start making some games!
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
What does this say about the community? Whatever it is, you guys need to shut up and start making some games!

Some of us like help others and having discussions as well as making games, so again it kind of sucks when you get trolled for putting up an update for your game :/ seen that happen a lot or a topic about just general info such as the new consoles.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:

^
i think its funny that i probably have more deleted posts than anyone on the forum yet i have never complained about it, then someone else gets one or two of their threads closed and they just go apeshit
Page: 1 2