ID:190831

Return of the Living Dead III . . .

Now there's one that no sub-par B-movie collection should be without. =P
I went to see 8 Crazy Nights with my girlfriend and her friends daughter and in the previews Ive already seen enough of one movie that could traumatize Anthony Hopkins.

Its the worst movie anyone could ever make and I dont think this one is from disney..

A Live action Pinnochio..... and instead of a little "boy" as Pinnochio, they have an adult in a clown suit/pajama....

Almost everyone in the movie moaned or chuckled.. this specific movie will not be making alot of money. Theres something about a grown man in pajamas that isnt appropriate even for children...

If they have any brains at all they will call it quits on this.
Serial Mom was quite awful. Because the family had rented it (why they made this choice I'll never know, but I wasn't in on that decision), we at several points decided to stick it out till the end, and we've regretted that every day since. There's just a repulsive sickness to the movie that makes it not a black comedy, but more like watching a live show of Vlad the Impaler at work. Disturbing on a lot of levels, particularly where it tries to be funny.

Another movie I regret is Nothing But Trouble. I'm proud to say I had the brains to leave the room eventually. This was when I was younger, and the family computer was out in the dining room in view of the TV. I was on the computer at the time, and in the middle of something, but the movie was making me so physically ill that I left--whilst making the statement in no uncertain terms that I couldn't stand to keep watching the move--and went to another room. I was fantastically appalled. To this day I want to hit anyone who so much as put a comma into the script of that abortion.

The Scout is one I regret watching, not because it was disturbing but because it was praised so often as a comedy (and it still airs on Comedy Central) when it was nothing of the kind. It wasn't even coherent. This horrendously unfunny piece of crap convinced me that not only should Albert Brooks have never been allowed to make another movie (and the tepid success of his later works bears me out), but he should have been drawn and quartered at the premiere.

The Alien Movie That Shall Remain Unnamed I also regret. I paid money to see that in the theater. The opening sequence alone should cost somebody their life; it thoroughly betrays the second movie (Aliens), which was a cinematic masterpiece and should never have suffered the humiliation of such an unworthy sequel. After killing off the other survivors of the Sulaco, for reasons that still aren't at all clear to me, the script then descends into a cloud of truly forgettable two-dimensional characters who only express any personality whatsoever seconds before getting eaten, a plot better described by substituting a D for the T--with the T used instead to spell "thin". After the strong plot and excellent characterization of Aliens, one was left to wonder who could have possibly thought this was any good as a movie, let alone a long-awaited sequel to a very good movie.

Event Horizon I regret. What the trailer promised would be a cool concept turned out to be a cool concept twisted into a very very lame excuse for a cheap horror flick, with a premise lifted all too readily from Doom. It just turned into a stupid gore-fest for no reason instead of remaining the engaging mystery it was billed to be. But I can forgive Laurence Fishburne because he made the Matrix 2 years later. It's no surprise that IMDB recommends the Alien Movie That Shall Remain Unnamed to people who liked this. Ugh.

There's a bad, bad, bad bad bad bad BAD drama "starring" Christine Lahti called Housekeeping. It's a 50's period piece about, well, dysfunction. The black flag on this one was Christine Lahti; I knew it was trouble going into it, but watched the whole thing anyway. I want my will to live back. I also want to throttle the twit at the video store who decided this should go in the comedy section, and the idiot reviewer who called it one. This made the Scout look like a Marx Brothers film. I'd use the phrase "drop dead boring" but it doesn't deserve such noble praise. I pox on thee and all of thy films, Christine Lahti!

I'll let Jingle All The Way speak for itself.

There are probably others I regret nearly as much as some of these, but if I go on much longer I'll start frothing.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
when you mentioned Aliens, and appaling movie. You reminded me of an 80's movie that hopefully went bankrupt (i dont remember if i watched it, but recall something.

Killer Clowns From Outer Space.
In response to Dareb
Actually, if that's the Pinnochio movie I'm thinking of, it has already made a lot of money... it's a record-setting blockbuster in Italy.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
hmm.. sad. But they are masters of the ridiculous..

Ridiculous streets
ridiculous cities
ridiculous portions of food
ridiculous accents
ridiculous size of families :D

and a new one
ridiculous movies

No, ill never let anyone near me watch that movie knowingly
The bionacal man or somthing (The one where robin williams is a robot) That movie kinda just dragged on... it should of ended after the first half a hour Also the commercials where very misleading as to what the movie was about
In response to Lummox JR
I like event Horizon
Cemetary Man. It hurt. My friend and I, figuring that it only had 15 minutes left, tried to wait it out. It went on for about another hour. It hurt. The box in the rental place said it was like Evil Dead II. Die box. Filthy, lying box. It hurt.
In response to ACWraith
Darn box advertising. They soiled the good name of Evil Dead 2, which I must say is a good action flick. Just on an off-beat thing, I'm going to recommend the Canadian film 'Cube' to everyone. Well, unless you have a weak stomach. Heck, go rent/steal/download it and watch it. Good movie all around.

If you think about the events and the characters, the movie resembles human life in general. I won't ruin it for you, but let's just say that the ending displeased me because my favorite character died, but it also pleased me because the irony was so...funny. You just have to see it to understand it. So, go see it.
That was a good comedy, to bad it wasnt supposed to be.
In response to Mertek
Mertek wrote:
Darn box advertising. They soiled the good name of Evil Dead 2, which I must say is a good action flick. Just on an off-beat thing, I'm going to recommend the Canadian film 'Cube' to everyone. Well, unless you have a weak stomach. Heck, go rent/steal/download it and watch it. Good movie all around.

If you think about the events and the characters, the movie resembles human life in general. I won't ruin it for you, but let's just say that the ending displeased me because my favorite character died, but it also pleased me because the irony was so...funny. You just have to see it to understand it. So, go see it.

I didn't find the irony of the ending funny; indeed it was all too predictable. Also, it had a serious flaw: They never addressed the question that if people were being put into the cube, what would happen if anyone got out? Surely nobody would be wanted left as a witness.

Actually I found Cube seriously disturbing, not just for its ending as for the fact of random people being kidnapped and put in this death trap for no apparent reason. I didn't expect answers as to why this was going on, but something would have helped.

Ultimately Cube doesn't make my "wish I hadn't seen it" list. But... urk.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I think that the producer is ultimately wanting the viewer to wonder why the people were being put in the Cube. Personally, I think a group of people or one person is doing it for their own enjoyment/entertainment. A sadist. Even worse. A sadist with a whole lot of money and a wild imagination. If I may quote a little-known song, "My suffers are entertainment," Anyways, I liked it. A lot.
In response to Mertek
Mertek wrote:
I think that the producer is ultimately wanting the viewer to wonder why the people were being put in the Cube. Personally, I think a group of people or one person is doing it for their own enjoyment/entertainment. A sadist. Even worse. A sadist with a whole lot of money and a wild imagination. If I may quote a little-known song, "My suffers are entertainment," Anyways, I liked it. A lot.

The cube had no video pickups. People were being put in and left there, but not watched. Other things you can infer from the plot:

• Humans built the cube. There's nothing alien about it except its mentality. It has human technology and was built by human companies.
  • A lot more than just one person was involved. Several companies contracted to build the thing and rumors circulated for months about people being put in. This suggests an organization of some kind, of at least 10 people in size.
  • In spite of the rumors, news of this somehow didn't make it to the major media. (This is the part I find it hardest to buy. What person, working on the project, who heard even a hint of this wouldn't come forward?)
  • Whoever did it wasn't doing it for entertainment, or for any experimental data, because there was no video or audio available.
  • The people responsible were able to find, and catch unawares, an infamous prison escapee.
  • Someone was doing regular cleanup. This suggests an even larger group of perpetrators.

I don't mind that there are a lot of plot points that don't add up, that it leaves a big puzzle with almost no pieces. But those few pieces seem to conflict in some odd places. In the end the mystery tramples on itself this way, and it becomes a story of random killing without purpose. Instead of leaving a world of possibilities, no possibility is left that's even halfway plausible.

Lummox JR
In response to Jacro
Bicentennial Man
In response to Lummox JR
Another movie I regret is Nothing But Trouble. I'm proud to say I had the brains to leave the room eventually. This was when I was younger, and the family computer was out in the dining room in view of the TV. I was on the computer at the time, and in the middle of something, but the movie was making me so physically ill that I left--whilst making the statement in no uncertain terms that I couldn't stand to keep watching the move--and went to another room. I was fantastically appalled. To this day I want to hit anyone who so much as put a comma into the script of that abortion.

Strange coincidence... I actually watched it last night. For the third time, I think. It sounds to me like your reaction to it was much the same as my own reaction to "Meet the Feebles" -- which left me depressed and revulsed -- and I can definitely think of a lot of things in "Nothing but Trouble" that could have affected me similarly, except for some reason they never did. I guess the positive things that stand out for me (the production design and occasional moments of very funny dark humor) were enough to counterbalance the negatives (disjointed plot, frequent moments of not-very-funny humor, general existential awfulness). Anyway, I find it kind of a guilty pleasure, but I can see where you're coming from, all right.

Event Horizon I regret. What the trailer promised would be a cool concept turned out to be a cool concept twisted into a very very lame excuse for a cheap horror flick, with a premise lifted all too readily from Doom. It just turned into a stupid gore-fest for no reason instead of remaining the engaging mystery it was billed to be.

This is another one that I've given repeat viewings despite its general badness. It'd be interesting to take this and edit it down to the length of a one-hour TV show (say, 50 minutes or so). I bet it'd come out a much stronger movie. And after Event Horizon, then I'd try the same thing with Nothing but Trouble.

My personal regrets list includes Deep Impact (prior to which I would've thought Morgan Freeman could make any movie good just by his presence) and The Contender (I would've rather taken it in pamphlet form).
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
The cube had no video pickups. People were being put in and left there, but not watched.

Are you completely sure? Those traps were undetectable by any human sense (besides the number procedure, and the unsafe boot procedure) so the cameras could have been built in the same way. Evidence?

The sound-activated trap had completely invisible spike-producers in the walls. The spikes seemed to come out of the little colored circles in the walls, so why isn't it possible to have a hidden camera in one of those little holes in all of the rooms? If they can hide a ton of spikes in a wall, I'm sure they can hide a camera in one.

In the intro, there was a big wire-mesh fence trap that 'cubed' the guy. It folded up and into the ceiling. Later on, there were incinerators hidden in the walls, there was a spraying device loaded with acid. There was a grouping of wires, referred to by Quentin as "the sushimachine". If they can hide all of these neat little traps completely undetectable in walls, why not cameras?

Just because they weren't shown in the movie doesn't mean they are not there.
In response to Maz
Maz wrote:
I like event Horizon

Just like to apolagise for the above statment, infact I got very confused and thought Event Horizon was Sphere. which I do like... :)
In response to Maz
I didn't like Sphere as much as Event Horizon. I saw Event Horizon long after any advertising so I was not expecting anything. It's not one of my favorites, but I can sit through it. However, the ending of Sphere ruined the entire movie for my friends and I. (I'd explain, but I don't want to spoil it for others.)
In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
I didn't like Sphere as much as Event Horizon. I saw Event Horizon long after any advertising so I was not expecting anything. It's not one of my favorites, but I can sit through it. However, the ending of Sphere ruined the entire movie for my friends and I. (I'd explain, but I don't want to spoil it for others.)

Sadly, Sphere follows the book all too closely. It diverges in some spots, but I was actually surprised by how close to the book it really was.

The problem with Sphere is ultimately that Michael Crichton has no concept of how to hold to a plot, or at least so I gathered from the book. The book is actually more like 3 abortive books sewn together into an unfortunate whole: There's the beginning with the intriguing and perplexing mystery of the ship, the middle with the less interesting puzzles of the strange intelligence, and the end with the rash of paranoia and the aforementioned bad finish. And the movie follows this from promising start to locopocalyptic finish. Tragic, really.

Lummox JR
Page: 1 2 3