ID:191182

Coincidentally, my ascension into legal discretion just happens to occur simultaneously to the ascension of Grand Theft Auto into Vice City, this October 29th. Not only does that mean I can legally purchase the game by myself (well, with ID, of course ;-)), but also that I can legally purchase the game by myself.

So, I'm a little excited. =)
But...can you come back in the 4th quarter with 4:46 left trialing 13-0 against the number one defense in the NFL and win it 14-13 like the Dallas Cowboys did on Sunday?
In response to Sariat
Would I even want to?

Good timing!

I pre-ordered mine in July. :)
Spuzzum wrote:
Coincidentally, my ascension into legal discretion just happens to occur simultaneously to the ascension of Grand Theft Auto into Vice City, this October 29th. Not only does that mean I can legally purchase the game by myself (well, with ID, of course ;-)), but also that I can legally purchase the game by myself.

I've been playing GTA3 lately on the PC, never having played any of the series before. It's interesting, and got more so as I got into vigilante missions and such, but I don't find it as addictive/exciting as most people do, at least yet. And I dread a bit the coming missions that have long setups you must do each time you replay them.

The simple car driving interface is quite nice though, and the way you really learn the layout of the city is intriguing and different. Most games set up huge complicated 3D areas -- sometimes going so far as to accurately model the White House or Air Force 1 -- and you play through that section in 30 minutes and never see it again. Rockstar is rather courageous in having you spend quite a lot of time on the first island (I've probably done 15+ hours on the first island and haven't opened up the second one yet).
Spuzzum wrote:
I can legally purchase the game by myself (well, with ID, of course ;-)), but also that I can legally purchase the game by myself.

Gosh Spuzzy, what kinda Orwellian laws does the province of BC make you live under?

Happy 19th.
In response to ThreeFingerPete
He's turning 18, which is the legal age to buy games that are rated "M".
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
He's turning 18, which is the legal age to buy games that are rated "M".

So, America has Games/Movies rated in letters?

Well for one, what does the rated letter 'M' mean?

We, the English folk have age ratings, ie:

PG, 12, 15, 18, 21.

PG = Parental Guidance.

Not sure if there are more age ratings like because those are all I know of so far.

--Lee
In response to Mellifluous
Games:

K/A = Kids to Adults
E = Everyone
T = Teen
M = Mature
Ao = Adults only

Movies:

G = General (everyone)

PG = Parential guidence

PG13 = Children under the age of 13 are cautioned

R = Restricted (17+)

NR = Not Rated for various reasons

NC-17 = Like rated R, but much worse
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Games:

K/A = Kids to Adults
E = Everyone
T = Teen
M = Mature
Ao = Adults only

Movies:

G = General (everyone)

PG = Parential guidence

PG13 = Children under the age of 13 are cautioned

R = Restricted (17+)

NR = Not Rated for various reasons

NC-17 = Like rated R, but much worse

Okies; thanks for the info ^_^ Much appreciated!

Also, I haven't said this yet Spuzzum, but, I hope you have a wonderful birthday and I hope GTA: Vice City gives your plenty of fun ^_^

--Lee
In response to Deadron
I've been playing GTA3 lately on the PC, never having played any of the series before. It's interesting, and got more so as I got into vigilante missions and such, but I don't find it as addictive/exciting as most people do, at least yet.

I think you may tend to be more of a "strategy gamer" than an "action gamer" -- if so, that could account for it. My suspicion is that, while most gamers enjoy games in both categories, they also have a preference for one or the other.

IGN.com announced that Vice City for PS2 has "gone gold" -- i.e., it has been sent to the factory for duplication and packaging. So, barring any catastrophes, it should make the target date of the 29th. (Though Rockstar did stick with their tradition of pushing back release dates -- it was originally October 22.)
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
IGN.com announced that Vice City for PS2 has "gone gold" -- i.e., it has been sent to the factory for duplication and packaging. So, barring any catastrophes, it should make the target date of the 29th. (Though Rockstar did stick with their tradition of pushing back release dates -- it was originally October 22.)

Neato ;)

My birthday heh.

--Lee

<small>Sorry for this irrelevant reply :S</small>
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
Would I even want to?

Well, I would.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Ao = Adults only

Interesting fact: console makers have never allowed an Ao game to be made. But that will all change when Mat Hoffman's XXX Biking (or something like that) comes out.

Boik!
In response to Vortezz
You should check out the PennyArcade episode for the 18th.
In response to Mellifluous
I dont regard the ratings and if i ever publish video games ill tell the esrb where to put their ratings.

Since there is no requirement by law to enter into agreement with the esrb and it costs money to apply, all they do is make stores feel better about it.

Well, ive been buying games for many years now, and Ive always didnt regard the ratings, I always stared as if they were acting retarded and eventually they accepted the money. I was never turned down.
In response to Vortezz
And Ill still disregard the ratings since there is no legal restrictions and the esrb are just a joke.
In response to Dareb
Stores could also just refuse to sell the games to minors, which wouldn't be illegal because they have the right to refuse service thing on their side.
In response to Nadrew
they can do as they wish. There are other ways to distribute video games, Worst case scenario id have to resort to doing business over the net, which would save money on publishing costs.

In response to Nadrew
Very true... What most customers don't realize is that a store is technically private property, and all items within the store belong to the store...

It is only because a store ALLOWS a customer to come in and buy something that they have the "right" to do so...

Anyone in any store can legally be refused from buying anything... Of course, that's not good business...but it's still all perfectly legal and fine...

It's nothing different than if you were selling your stuff in a garage sale and didn't want to sell something to the mean kid down the street that kicked your cat...lol

Working in retail (especially in the busiest retail store in town, which is a part of the busiest retail company in the world) I've come to really dislike many of my customers because they seem to have this one mixed up...lol
Page: 1 2 3