ID:1930507

A new round of beta development is underway, and I've been at work getting new features into BYOND 509. So for your enjoyment this Labor Day weekend, here's a sneak preview of some of the new features.

Appearances now have an appearance_flags var that can control a few properties that don't make sense under any other var name. So far these flags include:
  • LONG_GLIDE: Diagonal glides will take just as long as cardinal glides. In essence, the glide speed is based on max(dx,dy) instead of distance(dx,dy), so the atom will move farther (in terms of raw distance).
  • RESET_COLOR: When applied to an overlay or image, this flag means that the base object's/appearance's color won't affect it.
  • RESET_ALPHA: The base object's alpha value is ignored.
  • RESET_TRANSFORM: The base object's transform is ignored.
The plane var can be used to put objects on top or in back regardless of other concerns. This is basically a way of deprecating the old BACKGROUND_LAYER and EFFECTS_LAYER values and allowing for more flexibility.

The color var is undergoing a big change: color matrix support. (I am not extending the /matrix datum to handle color matrices; this will be a job for lists.) I'm very excited about this one, because it took a lot of painstaking, mostly Google-proof research to pull it off, but in the end I finally mastered shaders enough to make this work. This will work very similarly to MapColors(). The big challenge at this point is getting this data into the Appearance struct without a huge memory investment, so this is a work in progress, but the truly hard part--actually using the matrix--works. Color matrices will be animatable like normal colors will, and a regular color value should be treated--when interpolated with a color matrix--like a special-case matrix.

The glide_size value has been changed from an integer value to floating point. This is a big deal, because now you have full control over your glide speed. Want to cross a 32-pixel tile in exactly 10 ticks? Now you can!

I'm planning to add a flag to animate() to allow any matrix interpolation done for transforms to be linear. There are certain special cases where linear interpolation is desirable. What I haven't yet decided is whether this merits a new argument, or if it should be folded into the easing argument--where, ultimately, it feels like a hack.

All of the above adds up to the biggest raft of new appearance features since BYOND 500.

I'd kind of like to look into my concept of a faster client FPS value, if time permits. There's one outstanding bug report on images that relates to this, and needs to be addressed anyway.

In the world of bug fixes--I haven't forgotten about those--I noticed something in the way Dream Daemon sends files (and how Dream Seeker responds) that could be causing unnecessary delays when browse_rsc() is called for a lot of files the client already has. There's also a matter of small-list memory tending to grow over time in certain situations, impacting games like SS13. There are some webclient issues I'll be getting to soon as well, including adding support for all of the new appearance features. Webclient FPS is still on my list of ongoing things to work on.

This past Tuesday was my 14th BYONDiversary. We've been kicking a long time, and of course all this ongoing development is thanks to our Members and donors. If you've never been a Member before, or haven't been in a while, please show some love and help support this great platform.
This past Tuesday was my 14th BYONDiversary.

Happy 14th. My 14th BYONDiversary was back in June. I think there's only 3 of us left from the 2001 heat.
Happy 14th! My 14th was in June as well.

Ter13 wrote:
I think there's only 3 of us left from the 2001 heat.

digitalmouse still pops in occasionally, and there was a recent Xooxer sighting.

EDIT: Just to throw a little on topic in here... The appearance flags and color matrix stuff sounds great. I'm definitely looking forward to those.
good job
My favorite newer feature is getting more new features. Whoo! (:
In response to Flick
You guys make me feel like a total newb. I've "only" been here for 10 years.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
You guys make me feel like a total newb. I've "only" been here for 10 years.

That's because they're all old geezers and we're still young. They'll probably die first and we'll take over what's left. Then they'll be the newbs since we will know more than they ever did (I hope).
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
...since we will know more than they ever did (I hope).

Knowing more than me isn't too tough a thing. Knowing more than Ter13 or LummoxJR... Yeah, good luck.

I have the advantage of being able to look up anything I need to. :)
Or change it to fit whatever you claimed was the case.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I have the advantage of being able to look up anything I need to. :)

In my case, I have Kaiochao to correct me every time I'm wrong. He usually posts about 6 minutes behind me, so by the time you guys read my posts, they have been edited to include Kaio's commentary.
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Happy 14th! My 14th was in June as well.

It was your 16th, you senile old thing.
That would be you ;) My profile says 2001, (and yes, I did have to go check again, just in case. Maybe you're onto something...)
I could have sworn you were here before I was (well, you were... on this key), maybe I'm thinking of Theodis for some reason.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
...the 2001 heat.

LummoxJR
Ter13
digitalmouse
Xooxer
Leftley
Foomer
LexyBitch
Skysaw
Fireking
ACWraith
Alathon
Wildblood

Others I'm sure I've missed. Some of those may have been here earlier under other keys, but still, that's a pretty good class.
Joined in '04 as Makeii.
I guess in technical terms I've hung around here for a good 11 years. I really wasn't a forum crawler back then though.
In response to Mr_Goober
Mr_Goober wrote:
Joined in '04 as Makeii.
I guess in technical terms I've hung around here for a good 11 years. I really wasn't a forum crawler back then though.

You're Makeii? Wow. >.> Wow................

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=115046#comment564853

You went on a hiatus at the worst possible time that day. And I'll never forget it. You never spoke to me since. I don't know how I feel about that, Goobs.

EmpirezTeam wrote:

This is Sally. Cute little critter, innit? Do you know why Sally is sad?

You made Sally sad.

Congratulations. You've just ruined Sally's entire life. Will you be able to rest easy tonight? Because Sally sure won't. Sally won't ever sleep again.

DO YOU WANT TO SEE SALLY CRY ABOUT THIS TOO!?
I've completely forgotten why I up and left. I mean, considering my emotions were really unregulated and I was often having a really hard time controlling them (OCD, Anxiety) that was usually something I would do.

If anything, the box I had worked alright but the bandwidth was and is still not an optimal option.
It doesn't matter. I think that event is what led me to make my server utility. So original games had a way to always host without having to really rely on a middleman. It's all automated and free. Although, I think I was severely disappointed that day. Regardless, I got over it. :P No worries.

Edit: I'm done getting off topic.
Will the planes function now essentially act as a multi-layer system for drawing objects and such? Could I throw 100 objects into 100 planes on the same tile?
Page: 1 2 3 4