ID:38938

When Tom asked me if i would like to be a moderator for the Anime guild, I was more than a little caught off guard. I said i wanted to help but that i wasn't sure how well received the decision would be by the public. Then i got thinking, i got thinking of all the ideas I've had to improve the community, inspire original work and take advantage of the motivational factors this guild is more than capable of doing. So

It's official and i know there will be a few people who are against me being made guild moderator (along side SSGX, he hasn't gone anywhere) but i hope you all understand that I would never abuse of the trust being endowed to me by Tom and furthermore I have a very liberal policy on the management of things such as this, there will be no unnecessary use of my powers and there will be no rash or unpopular decisions, I am acting as a public servant. This is not a power position it is simply a volunteer job with a few responsibilities and opportunities for me to really contribute, I will be taking this job with a great deal of professionalism and seriousness.

My goals for the Anime guild are as followed:
(1)-Renovate the graphics of the guild itself, if anybody would like to help me with this (and i know people have made some beautiful artwork that was never given a fair chance in the past.) please send me an e-mail at [email protected] and we will work together!

(2)-Start doing more posts here, If you have an upcoming game that is fairly close to release and would like an interview style session where you could also get a bit of exposure and post some screenshots, please send me an e-mail! ([email protected])

(3)- Collaborative projects, I havn't really hammered out the details but i want to get all the part-time coding and iconing talent working together on a project for basically a byond game template (similar to my animegame demo), the idea is to make it very polished with lots to work with. The source would need to be completely open source through the entire development with icon rights being completely public to anybody on byond and basically the idea would be for this project to be a neutral vantage point for those who learn by example so that we can get away from learning from poorly written sources like NBOTLS or Zeta. This project would get a lot of anime guild exposure and those who contribute would get some serious credit.

(4)- The Review System: Its been coded and I'm going to get it going on the Anime guild. Community review for projects is essential for constructive criticism and motivation. I will only allow reviews that are unbiased and well written to be posted but hopefully this will bring up the standard of quality around here and help developers out a great deal.

I plan on doing a lot, i want to get this place utilized and i hope you all have faith in my ability to do a good job here and i hope you all respect Tom's decision.
I love Anime XD lol
This isn't going to end well.
Maggeh wrote:
This isn't going to end well.

It will be fine.
Sigh, your thinking was wrong.
- Improve community, lol
- Inspire original work, lol

This is reality unfortunately.
Quaddw wrote:
Sigh, your thinking was wrong.
- Improve community, lol
- Inspire original work, lol

This is reality unfortunately.

your attitude is simply pessimistic. Youll see what some attention can do to this place. There is a lot of enthusiasm and effort being misguided and i think with some proper structure theres no reason why we cant do better.
Start by adding Ranks. People can up their rank by contributing to the guild (Posting interesting stuff on the forums, being good at writing reviews, get more members on here, etc...). It's nice to have something to achieve.
Howey wrote:
Start by adding Ranks. People can up their rank by contributing to the guild (Posting interesting stuff on the forums, being good at writing reviews, get more members on here, etc...). It's nice to have something to achieve.

Good Suggestion!
New Ranks are:

Player
Veteran Player
Game Developer
Master Game Developer
Reviewer

Its only a title for now but who knows what features i might in the future have control to assign to people! So getting these labels is definitely neat so that later on i can possibly trust you guys with new features. (ie so far review submissions are only for Reviewers but later i may scrap that rank and just make it for all veteran players and up)
You could realize that no anime game will ever be original because it's based off of something else. Any work that is based off of anything else is a fan game, and unoriginal. Some of it's content can be original, but not the work itself.
Pseudonym, you shut up.
When somebody says "it's original" when refering to a fan game, you know exactly what they mean.
Pseudonym wrote:
You could realize that no anime game will ever be original because it's based off of something else. Any work that is based off of anything else is a fan game, and unoriginal. Some of it's content can be original, but not the work itself.

You can claim that about any game. Is starcraft a rip off of warhammer3000? some say yes, does that make it a rip? No. Any game somebody makes from scratch will be a valuable contribution to byond. And Tom and the rest of the team knows that. If you think making a fantasy rpg that follows the formula of rpgmaker and mimics every other game ever made, and you think that is more original, then maybe take a step back and start appreciating what the word original means. It means it hasnt been done before, the game. Not the name. Your reading books by their covers, and you should know better.
Masterdan wrote:
You can claim that about any game. Is starcraft a rip off of warhammer3000? some say yes, does that make it a rip? No. etc...

The only difference is Starcraft doesn't say "This game is based on Warhammer3000, has the same characters, concepts, and everything else that you might find in the Warhammer universe", while, for instance, Dragonball games do.
Keeth wrote:
Masterdan wrote:
You can claim that about any game. Is starcraft a rip off of warhammer3000? some say yes, does that make it a rip? No. etc...

The only difference is Starcraft doesn't say "This game is based on Warhammer3000, has the same characters, concepts, and everything else that you might find in the Warhammer universe", while Naruto games do.

That makes it more original because? I guess admitting inspiration from a 3rd party source is worth more ire than stealing credit for it. The point is, people want to make anime games, and we consider it original when they make their own game with their own gameplay concepts. Thats what this guild is all about, lets not get caught up on how nit-picky we can be with the word original. Everything takes inspiration from somewhere, obviously big for profit games would change it just enough to be able to sell it. We are about hobbyist game makers creating products of enjoyment that bring new members to byond to bring byond money and an extension of that being keeping the dream alive and allowing you to make posts here.
If it takes a concept and does not modify it, such as Naruto, it's fan game. That's my point here.
Pseudonym wrote:
If it takes a concept and does not modify it, such as Naruto, it's fan game. That's my point here.

And if you havnt noticed, BYOND is a great place for people to make the fan game of their dream. Thats not just my point, but the point of the entire guild.
When did I say that BYOND shouldn't have fan games? I didn't. I said that a original fan game simpy does not exist.
Pseudonym wrote:
When did I say that BYOND shouldn't have fan games? I didn't. I said that a original fan game simpy does not exist.

No.
Fan games with original universes do not exist.
Fan games with original stories, characters, and gameplay do. (not to mention programming)
Drop it.
Awesome Masterdan,congratulations
Good luck. Here's hoping you can clean this guild up, Dan. :D
I suggest doing the same thing I did with BYOND RPG.

Allow users to submit blog posts for approval by moderators. This opens the door for community based reviews. But you will have to be willing to accept well-written negative reviews, even on your own game.
Page: 1 2