ID:154441

Hello... I'd like you to take a look at some quotes from various people in Tanks right now, regarding Shadow's optional payment method... I'm going to put my own personal comments under each of their comment in italics!

Akuma50: Shadow shouldn't charge
Akuma50: It didn't take him any money to build it

He spent a month or more on the game. Would you rather him have not made the game?

Akuma50: They don't call Byond free so people can charge you to play the full

True, but Dantom included BYONDimes so that people could charge for their hard work. As well as create an economy so that we don't have to hassle. Face it, if there's a programming language that has an easy-to-use e-commerce, there's going to be things that charge. He's not forcing you to pay.

Dareb: people that force people to pay for half a--ed incomplete games should be ripped off of

He's not forcing you to pay. You don't have to pay anything to play HIS game. HE made it. YOU did diddly squat, Dareb. Every game is incomplete. EverQuest isn't complete, UO isn't complete, Anarchy Online isn't complete. NO multi-player online game is complete, yet people still pay for them.

Dareb: well, shadow f---ed the game up, so
Vortezz: No, he didn't.
Dareb: yup
Dareb: what the hell is with this subscription crap?
Trunks882: i know its gay!

How did he F the game up? He made it. He can form it into anything he wants. You don't do anything for him, so why should he have to do anything for you? He isn't your personal caterer (nobody is, for that matter), you know. If he wants to charge TWENTY CENTS (most people can easily afford this, and more), then why can't he? It's his creation, he can do whatever the flying F--- he wants.

Okiday, I've vented. Shadow, take a step in and comment yourself, if you will?
I believe the same thing if you spend so much time making a game just so people have something really fun to do you should have the right to charge for certain aspects of the system. I love tanks and as soon as I get some dimes I am gonna pay for the advanced mods. Great Job Shadow Keep Up the good work.
For everyone involved, the concept of money works on a pretty simple system.

You work, you make money for your work.

That's about it. it takes work to make a Byond game. The end.
Thanks for your support guys. I was beginning to think I made a mistake puting Tanks on the hub at all.

All people do now is whine about not being able to build advanced tech. They don't consider that last week they couldn't play Tanks at all and had to wait for the weekend tests. Perhaps they liked it better that way.

For everyone that's complaining about it, don't pay. It's as simple as that.
In response to Shadowdarke
I got a chance to play Tanks tonight, and although I was a little outmatched (and stuck as a rogue--no idea why) I was intrigued. It was pretty fun.

I'm wondering, though, what exactly does Advanced Tech do? Right now I can't use Stealth either (and something else as I recall), and I wonder what those can lead to in terms of new weapons.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I got a chance to play Tanks tonight, and although I was a little outmatched (and stuck as a rogue--no idea why) I was intrigued. It was pretty fun.

It's available for download whenever you would like to try it out at your leisure. There are no AI tanks yet, but the multiplayer is fun.

I'm wondering, though, what exactly does Advanced Tech do? Right now I can't use Stealth either (and something else as I recall), and I wonder what those can lead to in terms of new weapons.

Advanced tech gives you access to build a number of interesting items, including satellite links, smart mines, beam weapons, and towers with autofiring turrets among other things. I will update the Tanks FAQ with more info on what each item does some time in the near future.

You should be able to use stealth tech, even without subscribing. However, it's not readily apparent what it does. A tank with stealth tech will automatically hide any mines that it lays. Anyone within view of the mine will be able to see it, but others can not. With the addition of advanced tech and advanced sensors, a tank with stealth tech can build a stealth device. The stealth device will render your tank invisible to any tank without advanced sensors until you fire, you pass through water, or the device burns out.
Shadowdarke wrote:
Thanks for your support guys. I was beginning to think I made a mistake puting Tanks on the hub at all.

All people do now is whine about not being able to build advanced tech. They don't consider that last week they couldn't play Tanks at all and had to wait for the weekend tests. Perhaps they liked it better that way.

For everyone that's complaining about it, don't pay. It's as simple as that.

Yeah. Tanks is a GREAT game, if not the most fun in BYOND atm. The fact that you charge twenty cents for it (which is less than what you use to drive a mile/few(dont know the exact price, im too tired to do math and Im not up to date on american prices), If i payed 20 cents every day, it would be less than 20x what I pay for the train transport I take every day back and forth))

Point is, besides the fact that Shadow has used months on this game, to provide you with this fun, hes only charging a SMALL SMALL amount. Ontop of that its even optional if you want to pay or not. Anyone who bitches about that is just plain out stupid.

Anyways, I needed to blow some steam off, since the place my brothers going in a few days just got bombed to hell by terrorists, and my art teacher accused me of faking the picture of my brother(hes a model) and using him for a portrait, wants my damn parents to sign and say thats my brother(LMAO). Prob unreadable, but anyways

Alathon
In response to Alathon
I had a similar thing happen with one of my professors in college... she didn't believe I actually wrote any of the work I turned in one semester, so near the end of the year she called me to the office and presented me with her "evidence" (basically, a pile of my papers). I ended up writing my final paper, under her supervision, in her office. It took me all of eight minutes. She still didn't believe I was producing original work... she said I couldn't have written that quickly if I were doing the composition myself, that I must have memorized a paper beforehand. I invited her to give me another topic and I'd write another paper in the same time. She declined. I said, "Now don't you feel monumentally stupid?"* and left.

*That little comment brought about a meeting between myself and the director of the honors program. It ended the same way.
In response to LexyBitch
I thought that was a scene from "Finding Forester" :)

It's never good when bitter mediocre instructors get a talented student.
I haven't seen that movie yet.

That was just one of the many events that helped ensure my first full year of college would be my last. I was also linked to the "corruption" of an entire floor of the honors dorms. Although how -I- could be responsible for most of the girls getting pregnant, I don't know.
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:
I had a similar thing happen with one of my professors in college... she didn't believe I actually wrote any of the work I turned in one semester, so near the end of the year she called me to the office and presented me with her "evidence" (basically, a pile of my papers). I ended up writing my final paper, under her supervision, in her office. It took me all of eight minutes. She still didn't believe I was producing original work... she said I couldn't have written that quickly if I were doing the composition myself, that I must have memorized a paper beforehand. I invited her to give me another topic and I'd write another paper in the same time. She declined. I said, "Now don't you feel monumentally stupid?"* and left.

*That little comment brought about a meeting between myself and the director of the honors program. It ended the same way.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Lexy for president!
In response to Skysaw
Skysaw wrote:
Lexy for president!

Even after she got all those honor students pregnant? ;)

Heh, she'd get my vote anyway :P
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:
I had a similar thing happen with one of my professors in college... she didn't believe I actually wrote any of the work I turned in one semester

If it's really a fake, a good professor knows to find the source or keep their mouth shut...

In High School I had a tangential experience...I had a suicidal friend, who got hospitalized after calling a suicide hotline. His teachers all knew about it, and were treating him with kid gloves. So he was allowed to make up work in English by turning in a batch of stories.

So one night we stayed up all night writing stories for him to turn in. I'd write some 3 page story for half an hour, then he'd write one.

I wrote a story in the first person, from the point of view of a dead guy who has returned to give some warning/message. He keeps trying to give the warning, but keeps failing to say anything intelligent...finally he gives up, going on about how he has failed the human race.

The teacher read this and immediately went to the principal...the principal called in my friend to ask him what this story meant...of course he could barely remember it, since he didn't write it and he last read it at 3am in the morning, and he had to talk his way though the situation, to convince them he wasn't going to kill himself or something. (At the time, the idea that he'd go postal wasn't in the air yet, or it would have been even worse!)

I still consider that the most effective writing I ever did, in terms of causing a reaction in my audience.
In response to Deadron
She wasn't a good professor. I had to loan her my sources so she could verify that I was actually using any sources. It may have been partially my fault that she came to the conclusions she did... she had "time use" sheets for us to fill out, detailing our material gathering and writings methods. Mine tended to look like this.

10 minutes: Write finished paper.

10 minutes: Find an adequate number of sources supporting what I already know.

5 minutes: Find one source with something I didn't know.

45 minutes: Wander over to the sociology section and re-read that book on demonic possession.

1 minute: Wander over to fiction section; realize The Color Purple has already been checked out, swear aloud.

3 hours 15 minutes: Read Pendragon Cycle by Stephen K. Lawhead (books 1-3)

2 minutes: Realize library closed 2 hours ago, leave through fire exit with nonfunctioning alarm.

10 minutes: Reverse-engineer rough draft and three pages of revisions.
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:

LOL! I recall doing this on at least one occasion! My actual rough drafts were usually Pollackesque squiggles on wrinkled envelopes.
In response to LexyBitch
[If you're under 13, don't read the next part.]

LexyBitch wrote:
She wasn't a good professor. I had to loan her my sources so she could verify that I was actually using any sources.

Frankly, your teacher is worthy of the "bitch" title, and not as the animal meaning either.

[People under 13 can start reading again. =)]

It may have been partially my fault that she came to the conclusions she did... she had "time use" sheets for us to fill out, detailing our material gathering and writings methods.

I usually don't look for sources, myself, unless my teacher actually requests it. As I usually get an 80% on any papers I write, I'm not too concerned with actually getting a solid background of information, since my own experience has taught me.

10 minutes: Write finished paper.
[snipperooniebonkers]

I believe you're also one who tends to do it right the first time?

It frustrates me all to heck when my teachers ask for me to write a draft copy and then write a good version. My draft IS my good version.
In response to Spuzzum
While I can sympathize with Spuzzum's sentiment on drafts (I, too, hated outlines and rough drafts), college and law school have taught me the value inherent to such activity. As dogmatic principles they are worthless. Rather, they are tools that should make writing easier. An outline is the first step and is analagous to the skeleton on the body. It holds the basic structure and is useful for developing a coherent flow of information. It can reveal areas that need further development ot that need to be cut entirely. The initial draft should be written from this basic outline, though there is no need to follow it slavishly. It should merely act as a guide, just as the skeleton forms the foundation for the muscles above them. The draft may be submitted at this point, but it may still be very rough indeed. Review is helpful to eliminate awkward phrasing or irrelevant points that may have crept in. The draft may also reveal relative shortages or overwriting in particular areas. In any case, a few finishing touches, at the least, are in order. Like the skin on the body, this final process serves not only to create a tighter whole, but results in a masterful product beautiful to behold. True, such formality may seem unnecessary in more informal writing, but since even such minor assignments are reflections on your ability and will undoubtably be read by others, why not invest a little extra effort to make it worthwhile? With practice the process will come easily, though even professional writers still generally transcribe it in order to more readily identify areas for improval.
If only all game designers were so careful....

-James
In response to LexyBitch
I ended up writing my final paper, under her supervision, in her office. It took me all of eight minutes.

Now, tell me more about this. I assume you are a very inteligent person. Does that mean you can write an A essay in 8 minutes? Was this a 200 word essay? Or, was it a 3000 word essay?

Your post really gave me a smile.
In response to Lord of Water
It was five paragraphs... the ridiculously simple introduction, three main points, conclusion formula. She didn't give us an arbitrary word count, so I didn't count the words. (I don't know if this is the general rule, but most of my college English instructors said something along the line of "Make it long enough, but not too long." It was only in other departments that we were expected to adhere to word counts.)
In response to Jmurph
I agree that advanced planning is helpful and, for any complex writing, necessary. What I disagree with is the idea that this planning must be done physically and produced for an instructor's edification. If he or she was really interested in my writing/thinking process, I would have been happy to write down exactly what went through my head before I began writing.
Page: 1 2