god byond
Dan says:
it can never compile twice in a row without crashing
Dan says:
its so sad
Kobata says:
lol
Kobata says:
they should switch it to using their command-line compiler (dm.exe)
Kobata says:
at least then it shouldn't crash the IDE
Dan says:
fully agreed.

_> it takes a long time for DreamMaker to come back up, for the object tree to reupdate. Etc. Please please please implement this lol. It would save me so much time.
Here's a suggestion - design better.

It shouldn't be possible to write BYOND games that strain the compiler that much. You are exposing bugs in the compiler, but I'm willing to bet it's only because you're doing things in a silly way.

Don't expect compilation of any reasonable project to be fast. Try running a C compiler over some project some time - it has taken me several /hours/ to compile WINE before. On the computers at work, compiling small tool libraries has taken something like five minutes. And these are modern computers.

Compiling is slow.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
Here's a suggestion - design better.

It shouldn't be possible to write BYOND games that strain the compiler that much. You are exposing bugs in the compiler, but I'm willing to bet it's only because you're doing things in a silly way.

Don't expect compilation of any reasonable project to be fast. Try running a C compiler over some project some time - it has taken me several /hours/ to compile WINE before. On the computers at work, compiling small tool libraries has taken something like five minutes. And these are modern computers.

Compiling is slow.

? design better. When i turn the maps off then bingo it does not crash. Turn them back on and byond has a hissy fit. Theres just lots of stuff on the maps and lots of maps themselves. As well as layered turfs. How can people blame me for crashing the compiler, honestly, thats such a joke compilers shouldnt crash if no errors exist, thats just silly.
In response to Masterdan
Layering turfs is bad design. You can't technically have two turfs on top of each other. One of the turfs becomes the actual turf and the other one is an overlay or underlay.
In response to Drumersl
Drumersl wrote:
Layering turfs is bad design. You can't technically have two turfs on top of each other. One of the turfs becomes the actual turf and the other one is an overlay or underlay.

I don't see what's "bad" about it. Its just an alternative way of laying out the map. Sure, the game only acknowledges one turf, but the rest can be there as underlays in order to make everything look right.
In response to Masterdan
Big detailed maps take a while to be compiled, it may be crashing because you're using too much memory with the process as is. Try closing all of the open files (files loaded into memory are listed under the Windows menu) using the close option under the file menu. Closing open maps and icons will free up some memory and should fix the problem, it's worked for me on larger maps that the compiler didn't seem to handle so hot.

As for using dm.exe it probably wouldn't make too much of a difference, it still goes through the same process and uses the same memory and whatnot so I doubt it'd solve too much. You can always do it manually or create your own IDE.
In response to Masterdan
#include "crash.h"

Try sticking that in a file named 'crash.h' and passing that through a C preprocessor (Not even a compiler).

It'll probably crash it eventually.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Drumersl wrote:

I don't see what's "bad" about it. Its just an alternative way of laying out the map. Sure, the game only acknowledges one turf, but the rest can be there as underlays in order to make everything look right.

you can pawn off some of the work to the game itself and make it create the overlays when the game starts up. or, if possible, just make more icon states so you don't need to use so many overlays. sure, it either means more work for the game to do or a bigger download, but the work has to be done somehow, and if its too much for the compiler to handle you should look for an alternative.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Big detailed maps take a while to be compiled, it may be crashing because you're using too much memory with the process as is. Try closing all of the open files (files loaded into memory are listed under the Windows menu) using the close option under the file menu. Closing open maps and icons will free up some memory and should fix the problem, it's worked for me on larger maps that the compiler didn't seem to handle so hot.

As for using dm.exe it probably wouldn't make too much of a difference, it still goes through the same process and uses the same memory and whatnot so I doubt it'd solve too much. You can always do it manually or create your own IDE.

The thing is, when your sitting there with over 3 gigs of free memory, something is up if a 20mb project manages to eat up that full 3 gigs. I've had this happen at the first or second compile, I've had this happen after having Dreammaker open for hours and doing a hundred compiles.

Probably the easiest way to reproduce this is just to generate a ton of compile errors (Removing a quotation or parenthesis at the beginning of a project and causing every if and else statement to cause an error aswell). That seems to have a 50/50 shot of, and I've had happen without any sort of complex map being compiled in (ie. map with only a few non-grass anything on it).